Likes Likes:  72
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Have reports that Bluemont Connector Trail is clear. Has anyone ridden Four Mile Run Trail yet? Also assume Mt Vernon Trail has not been touched by snow clearing equipment. 3 years ago they started clearing some connecting trails near Memorial Bridge, but only a couple hundred meters in various directions. Any updates are appreciated.

Henry
    I rode on Holmes Run and Mount Vernon trails today. The snow melted in most places, but snow and slush still cover the bridges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Have reports that Bluemont Connector Trail is clear. Has anyone ridden Four Mile Run Trail yet? Also assume Mt Vernon Trail has not been touched by snow clearing equipment. 3 years ago they started clearing some connecting trails near Memorial Bridge, but only a couple hundred meters in various directions. Any updates are appreciated.

Henry
    LBJ has trees down when I talked to LSG yesterday afternoon. Multiple trees down across the MVT from Belle Haven headed south. NPS will likely start on downed trees on the MVT on Monday.

Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail are likely to put a call out for volunteers to help with cleaning up damaged trees next week. Hoping to be able to assess the damage this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

• This does not consider Friday's new snow fall:
    • Custis cleared Rosslyn to East Falls Church; 4 mile run Trail cleared from Shirlington to Eads; Washington Boulevard trail near the Pentagon is cleared to Memorial Bridge. W&OD is a mess from the junction with Custis all the way to Columbia Pike

16 hours agoDelete

• Serder says, "I rode in MVT. Snow melted only on asphalt there. Bridges are covered with slush."
    Last edited by Fast Friendly Guy; 01-07-2022 at 07:41 AM.

4. Likes Henry, lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Custis from Ballston to W&OD was almost entirely clear, mostly dry pavement

W&OD west from Custis to the Rte 29 overpass mostly dry pavement edge-to-edge (Rte 29 bridge was bad enough that I went no further)

W&OD east from Custis marginal until the Dominion substation (just before Carlin Springs), (Does Dominion clear the trail between Wilson and the substation to ensure access?)

Further east from the substation, it is then mostly rutted, packed ice and IMO very dangerous.

Honestly, how can the county possibly justify just telling south Arlingtonians to suck it and they're not going to clear the trail??? My unscientific eyeball poll said there was actually more traffic on the W&OD east of Custis than either Custis itself or W&OD west to Falls Church... yet no attention from the county. WHY?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W&OD Trail 1-8-2022.001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	25776
    Pick which section of the W&OD is in north or south Arlington...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alcova cyclist View Post
    Honestly, how can the county possibly justify just telling south Arlingtonians to suck it and they're not going to clear the trail??? My unscientific eyeball poll said there was actually more traffic on the W&OD east of Custis than either Custis itself or W&OD west to Falls Church... yet no attention from the county. WHY?
    Arlington County isn't allowed to plow the W&OD, your beef is with NOVAParks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    It appears that NOVAParks was focusing on removing downed trees over plowing this week: https://twitter.com/wodtrail/status/...667338244?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    I have reached out to NOVA parks to tilt at this windmill again.

As I understand it, the County clears the W&OD between Custis and FC by claiming this is part of the Custis Trail that is co-located with the W&OD up to Falls Church (although the county's own trail map shows Custis terminating where it intersects the W&OD). Seems like the county could use the exact same logic since the 4MR trail system is co-located with W&OD from mile 0 to the Custis... that is, if the county really wanted it to. But I guess some things are worth fighting NOVAParks over and some things aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

I already got a reply from NOVA Parks: "It is NOVA Parks responsibility and our policy to clear snow from the W&OD. It is our procedure to begin on the east end of the trail and work west after measurable snow."

They added that the most recent storm presented unique challenges due to the amount/weight of the snow and the consistently low temperatures that followed. They also noted (as Judd highlighted above) that there were many downed trees along the trail that took considerable time to clear. Once the wet snow became packed on the trail with walkers, skiers and sledders, that further slowed the removal process.

10. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fort Myer trail parallel to Rt. 50 was an icy mess this morning (not that I really expected otherwise but curiosity got the better of me.) Not just sheets of black ice, but lumpy frozen slush across the entire surface. Does VDOT ever clear this trail, or do they wait on Mother Nature?

12. Likes Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    Fort Myer trail parallel to Rt. 50 was an icy mess this morning (not that I really expected otherwise but curiosity got the better of me.) Not just sheets of black ice, but lumpy frozen slush across the entire surface. Does VDOT ever clear this trail, or do they wait on Mother Nature?
    Yes, it is treacherous and with tonights temperature dropping further its going to be like this tomorrow as well. I was glad I was wearing ice cleats on my shoes to push the bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4755.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	25829