Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Cyclist Fatality

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Cyclist Fatality

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I love how the focus of the blurb is for motorists to avoid the scene, presumably to not be inconvenienced. I know, I know, its a traffic report, but...
    GA

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed limits

The speed limit there is 35mph... supposedly a safer speed for vulnerable users.

Friends who have advocated for bike infrastructure in McLean have told me often how much it is than it used to be. It must have been really bad.

Why is that now people cry out, "It's the fault of the infrastructure?" rather than, "We need speed limit enforcement"? And while I agree that poorly designed infrastructure encourages drivers to make poor choices, ultimately it's the person operating the more dangerous vehicle who should be most on his/her toes.

Post Thanks / Like

With all of the money that the McLean area has and thousands of cyclists in a five-mile radius, there's no excuse for not having better cycling infrastructure unless laziness is a good excuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    The speed limit there is 35mph... supposedly a safer speed for vulnerable users.

Friends who have advocated for bike infrastructure in McLean have told me often how much it is than it used to be. It must have been really bad.

Why is that now people cry out, "It's the fault of the infrastructure?" rather than, "We need speed limit enforcement"? And while I agree that poorly designed infrastructure encourages drivers to make poor choices, ultimately it's the person operating the more dangerous vehicle who should be most on his/her toes.

While infrastructure can't do everything, in general it's hard to get good results from enforcement when the infra encourages speeding (I say this without knowing the details of this location). And note, until this last session of the General Assembly, speed cameras were banned in Virginia - and even now, they are only allowed near schools and at road construction sites. I don't think any jurisdictioniin Va has implemented them yet. There is of course human enforcement - but that is costly, and sometimes problematic.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 01-03-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMariner View Post
    With all of the money that the McLean area has and thousands of cyclists in a five-mile radius, there's no excuse for not having better cycling infrastructure unless laziness is a good excuse.

I mean there are also a lot of entitled motorists in a five mile radius, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the intersection in question:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ingleside.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	25539

The cyclist was traveling in the direction this photo is facing. There is a marked crosswalk, unsignalized.
    Automobiles must turn right at this intersection; they may not go straight across. Someone on foot, of course, may proceed on the crosswalk (at their own risk, I imagine). For someone on a bike, though, I'm not sure how law enforcement would interpret. If treated as a vehicle, then an argument could be made that he was illegally crossing. Unless he was turning right and was struck.
    Unless he was walking his bike in the marked crosswalk, VA's contributory negligence law, discouragingly, will almost certainly find him to be at least 1% at fault.

Here's another angle. Cyclist entered from the right. He was struck by a driver going in the direction this photo is facing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolley Mad and Ingleside.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	25540

10. Likes awitt, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    Why is that now people cry out, "It's the fault of the infrastructure?" rather than, "We need speed limit enforcement"?
    Because properly designed infrastructure tends to solve the speed problem, while adding additional benefits. Also, because "speed enforcement" without automation is just the kind of thing that's said to make discussion about real substantive changes go away, without actually doing anything. At most the cops will be there a few more times over a couple of weeks, then they'll move on to the next spot where people are complaining about speeding cars.

12. Likes huskerdont, rumipumi liked this post