Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Story of Infrastructure Investment Failure

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Sad Story of Infrastructure Investment Failure

https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/news/...al-parkway.htm

TL;DR: $161 million to rebuild the north end of the GWMP from Spout Run to I-495. No mention of any non-motor-vehicle facility. Some park that is.

2. Likes huskerdont, scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the topography! No one can ride a bike where there be hills or bumps. /s

https://www.insidenova.com/news/arli...92198af61.html

'Despite the hopes of some in the audience, Romero said the roadway upgrades will not result in higher speed limits on the parkway. The park service also does not plan to install a bicycle trail along the parkway north of Theodore Roosevelt Island, in part because of topography, he said.'

Seriously wasted opportunity here. At the very least, there needs to be some bike/ped access across the American Legion Bridge. Could link that up from Balls Hill at Georgetown Pike if they're going to fail so miserably with the parkway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    At the very least, there needs to be some bike/ped access across the American Legion Bridge. Could link that up from Balls Hill at Georgetown Pike if they're going to fail so miserably with the parkway.
    Oh, they'll build a path on American Legion Bridge during its planned expansion. But stupidly (maybe typically?) they don't want to connect it to existing bike routes.

Here's the WABA blurb and petition to sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how topography that is too hostile for a trail can somehow be conducive to a four-lane divided automobile raceway.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Oh, they'll build a path on American Legion Bridge during its planned expansion. But stupidly (maybe typically?) they don't want to connect it to existing bike routes.

I kinda don't mind that, honestly - putting the connection to MacArthur just means we'll all be using the connector to the east side of the aqueduct bridge. Yes, I know it will mean hike-a-bike for most.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Amazing how topography that is too hostile for a trail can somehow be conducive to a four-lane divided automobile raceway.
    Eh, I've only hiked the PHT bits below Chain Bridge, how is it upstream of that? (Not sure I want those paved, either, they're fun in an urban scrambling way).

Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing something, or is there no connection to any trail on the Virginia side of the bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Am I missing something, or is there no connection to any trail on the Virginia side of the bridge?
    It looks like we can expect Balls Hill to Westmoreland to get a lot more popular - it's about the only existing connection down there unless they do a flyover to the Scott's Run/Swinks Mill side.
    Last edited by Meh; 12-30-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

"Eh, I've only hiked the PHT bits below Chain Bridge, how is it upstream of that? (Not sure I want those paved, either, they're fun in an urban scrambling way)."

The PHT above Chain Bridge goes inland for a bit, along Pimmit and through Fort Marcy Park before abutting the river again a couple of miles below Turkey Run. It *sort of* parallels the parkway, in a zig-zaggy, up-and-down sort of way. It's a hiking trail and yeah, it shouldn't be paved.

People drive really fast on the north part of the parkway; 65-70 mph is not out of the ordinary even though the limit is 45. There would need to be some sort of buffer between the road and the trail, and I guess it's just too much to expect any efforts at alternative infrastructure or slowing things down. I would settle for being able to get from Balls Hill to MacArthur via the bridge. I did sign the petition.

11. Likes Meh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    there are no bike trails on the virginia side of the bridge. they're supposed to build one along 495, but seeing how quickly the i66 trail was downgraded I'll withhold judgment on that. in theory you could connect to the PHT but I don't really see much value in doing so (it's a long walk to there from anywhere, so the number of people doing that would probably be really low). given the nature of the PHT you could always just put in a big ladder down from the bridge sometime in the future if it seemed necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    there are no bike trails on the virginia side of the bridge. they're supposed to build one along 495, but seeing how quickly the i66 trail was downgraded I'll withhold judgment on that. in theory you could connect to the PHT but I don't really see much value in doing so (it's a long walk to there from anywhere, so the number of people doing that would probably be really low). given the nature of the PHT you could always just put in a big ladder down from the bridge sometime in the future if it seemed necessary.
    Let me rephrase that from being no trail connections to any connections of any type. It seems to me that there would be no way to get off in Virginia after crossing the bridge.