Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Monuments and Memorials Pointless Prize

Post Thanks / Like

1/2/2022

Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
    Mount Vernon Recreation Center, Alexandria, Virginia

Captain Versace was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor on July 28, 2002 for his “heroic, 23-month sustained resistance “above and beyond the call of duty” against communist Viet Cong while the senior officer in a jungle prisoner of war (POW) camp.”

2. Likes HokieBeth, CBGanimal, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably won't post many of my picture in here, but this is one that means a lot to Olney, MD. I know it's not a realy historical of famous figure, but it's still an awesome memorial.

In Spring 2016, the State of Maryland introduced Noah’s Law to help combat driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs. This law came into being after a drunk driver collided with and subsequently killed a Maryland police officer. Noah was killed along this stretch of road by a drunk driver while conducting a routine sobriety checkpoint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3658.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	25510

Post Thanks / Like

1/2/22-#monuments-Air Force Memorial--to all of the airmen (and women) who served in the Air Force... https://www.afdw.af.mil/quickfacts/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

1/3/2022 Begoña Castilla in Alcala, Spain was a nurse who spent her time addressing children’s issue in the medical field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

1/3/2022 - Raoul Wallenberg Memorial in front of the UN Headquarters on 1st Ave at E 47th St, Manhattan, NY

Name:	IMG_3349[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	25550 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3350[1].jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	25551

Opps. Somehow for this one I couldn't bring myself to lean my bike on one of the pillars. I should have used the Jersey barrier, but there are three bikes in the 1st Ave bike lane close to E 49th St. teeny, tiny images between the right two pillars.
    Last edited by consularrider; 01-03-2022 at 04:55 PM. Reason: No bike in picture

7. Likes HokieBeth, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/3/2022 - Sal Guarrillo Veteran's Memorial

This memorial is at 8441 Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood, California. It is named after Sal Guarrillo, who served on the West Hollywood City Council and also served as mayor. The memorial honors all veterans (Sal was a veteran himself, but the memorial is not intended to memorialize him personally; it's just named in his honor).

Name:	sal guarillo 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	25564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sal guarrillo 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	25565 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sal guarrillo 3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	25566

9. Likes CBGanimal, HokieBeth, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/3 - Joan of Arc

This magnificent statue of Joan of Arc is located on Meridian Hill and was dedicated on the 510th anniversary of her birth. A fun fact is that even though there are a lot of equestrian statues in DC, this is the only one of a woman.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

11. Likes HokieBeth, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/3/22-road named in honor of George Mason-American founding father who did not sign the Declaration. Road stretches from South to North Arlington County

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos @bikingjenn for being out in the cold and snow!

I'll accept this street sign but moving forward street signs are not included in this pointless prize. My purpose was for this prize to include specific monuments and memorials, and while I understand a street sign can be interpreted as such it was not my original, though not specifically stated, intent.

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HokieBeth View Post
    Sure you know the big three, Lincoln, Jefferson and Washington, but did you know there are over 160 monuments and memorials just in DC, including one to singer Sonny Bono? For this pointless prize simply ride at least 1 mile and snap a pic of your bike at a monument or memorial.

Other rules:
    - only one per day and only one visit per memorial, meaning you only get one point for a post of the Washington monument. However you can include multiple memorials to the same person. For example there are two memorials to FDR in DC, you can get a point for each if posted on separate days.
    - your bike must be in the photo
    - name & location the monument/memorial must be included
    - for this pointless prize a monument/memorial must be either a statue, commemorative plaque or sign of cultural or historic significance and must identify the name of the person or persons being memorialized
    - not included are tombstones, gravestones, or painted murals
    EDIT 1/4: Street name signs are excluded unless they specifically state that they are in memorial to a specific person(s)
    -use hashtag #monuments in your post

Prizes:
    1st prize is a private 3-hour professional bike tour of the National Mall monuments and memorials for you and up to 3 friends! Tour includes stops at the Capitol, the White House and more than 10 other sites with historical background and cultural significance of the memorial provided by your guide.

2nd prize is the book "25 Bike Tours in Washington DC" by Anne H. Oman