Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Friendly Living Recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    There is pirate bar not too far away....
    Unfortunately, the Piratz Tavern is no more. It was featured in a bar makeover show because of a lack of business. Apparently there aren't enough swashbucklers in the area to keep a place like that alive. I lived in downtown SS for a few years and we went for a several-hour-long-drink-fest. It was fun, but weird.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...9SR_story.html

The Quarry House is more than enough of a reason to move to downtown SS though. There's also no shortage of ethiopian restaurants to fulfill any of your meat/lentil needs. There's a good crepe place, a Whole Foods you can walk/bike to, and Fenwick beer and wine has a huge selection of hard to find beers.

I really liked living there.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I even consider bars, or clubs (I drink occasionally, not weekly or nightly). I need to worry about a good area, that is bicyclist friendly,and fun area to live in. I appreciate the advice on bars and restaurants, but right now, a place to feel comfortable riding my bike for errands, and not feeling like I'm going to be broken into because the folks across the street have seen me with three different bikes going in and out.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurlyTed1187 View Post
    that is bicyclist friendly,and fun area to live in.
    I think we can all grasp what bicyclist friendly means, but I also think we all have a different idea of what is 'fun'.
    for example:

any ideas on what you consider 'fun' might help! Some people might think drinking is fun, while others might think late night food truck stands are fun. or clowns.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I even consider bars, or clubs (I drink occasionally, not weekly or nightly). I need to worry about a good area, that is bicyclist friendly,and fun area to live in. I appreciate the advice on bars and restaurants, but right now, a place to feel comfortable riding my bike for errands, and not feeling like I'm going to be broken into because the folks across the street have seen me with three different bikes going in and out.
    Since your work is near the Sligo Creek Trail (?), I'd consider locations all along the other Anacostia Tributary trails as possibilities. I commute from Old Greenbelt to DC on these trails, and I think they're wonderful. The NE branch trail, in particular, is very nice, and high speed (few grade crossings, generally pretty wide and fast and not too crowded). -Jeff

Detailed trail map
    http://www.pgparks.com/Assets/Parks+$!26+Recreation/PDF/Maps/Anacostia+Trail+Map+2010.pdf
    Last edited by Greenbelt; 03-09-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add map linkie

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where the anxiety about living along Sligo Creek in Takoma Park is coming from but you could live with a few hundred yards of the Washington Adventist Hospital and be in a very safe, friendly, diverse neighborhood. The DC area is a major metropolis with almost six million people when you measure the far flung commuter ex-urbs. People get held up at gun point in front of million dollar homes here - just about as often as people get bitten by sharks. Very slightly more than that in urban blight sections but thats life in a large city. Get over the anxiety and get into the joy and excitement of rubbing shoulders with 4 -6 million of your fellow hominides.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    any ideas on what you consider 'fun' might help! Some people might think drinking is fun, while others might think late night food truck stands are fun. or clowns.
    I used to drink with clowns and then go get food at a truck late at night. That was fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Unfortunately, the Piratz Tavern is no more. It was featured in a bar makeover show because of a lack of business. Apparently there aren't enough swashbucklers in the area to keep a place like that alive. I lived in downtown SS for a few years and we went for a several-hour-long-drink-fest. It was fun, but weird.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...9SR_story.html

The Quarry House is more than enough of a reason to move to downtown SS though. There's also no shortage of ethiopian restaurants to fulfill any of your meat/lentil needs. There's a good crepe place, a Whole Foods you can walk/bike to, and Fenwick beer and wine has a huge selection of hard to find beers.

I really liked living there.
    I can't decide if I'm sad or not that the Piratz Bar is gone. I remember going there one night because QH was packed to the brim and they had belly dancers. Part of me wanted to point out their confusion given the Carribean sort of pirate theme, but then I realized I wasn't really sure who were staff and who were customers. I had also heard rumors about the owners having some sort of divorce and the bar being a byproduct so I'm not too surprised it closed down.

All this thinking about a QH burger makes me feel the need to head up that way on Monday for half priced burger night. I'm sure the biking up and back would about equal the caloric intake, but I don't have the patients for a late evening long bike ride home. You're right about SS food.

I also forgot about the bar Jackie's (spelling?). It was pretty decent too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie's is the restaurant, Sidebar is the side bar. Very good places both. Much more low key than Quarry House.

Post Thanks / Like

So bars aren't at the top of my priority list. I'm looking for a place that has a livel, active community that I can be a part of. Good parks for enjoying the outdoors, young active folk who enjoy their neighbors. From looking at maps of the area, I can see there isno shortage of parks, and outdoor space.

Being that this would be my first experience living away from home, or school, I honestly can't be completely sure what I'm looking for. I just know that I don't want to base my search around bars alone. I'll find my favorite hangouts once I get settled in.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking to get involved with a local community gardening co-op or something of that sorts. I enjoy getting to be involved in introducing people to riding bikes, whether that be for fun, or for transportation reasons. Cooking is one of my biggest passions, so I enjoy going to farmers markets witha wide variety of local and diverse fresh vegetables. I imagine cooking is one way I'll look to meet people and develop friendships (when I'm not on the bike that is).

I'd say riding, cooking, involvement/volunteering are things that I seek to do regularly.

But also getting to spend time outdoors, throwing frisbee, layin in the grass or hanging out in a hammock. I'm a simple, take it easy, no need to rush kind of person.
    Last edited by SurlyTed1187; 03-11-2012 at 08:00 AM.