Likes Likes:  219
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  13
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Freezing Saddles Gives Back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Negative 10 points for aiding car supremacy.
    I humbly request leniency from the faceless cabal as I had to get the stuck car out of the alley in order to get bikes onto the street for at least 2 people (self included) participating in BAFS2022!

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes karenbikes2@gmail.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I humbly request leniency from the faceless cabal as I had to get the stuck car out of the alley in order to get bikes onto the street for at least 2 people (self included) participating in BAFS2022!
    A compelling argument has been made. Through a complicated adjustment of adding and subtracting points, you now have 55 points, tying you with Komorebi.

4. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DOUBLE POINT OPPORTUNITY!

Martin Luther King Jr Day is next Monday, January 17th, which has become a national day of service. I'm offering double points for anyone who volunteers during the MLK Day of Service. If you volunteer for any of the organizations that are already double points, you'll earn DOUBLE DOUBLE points. So, potentially 20 points on the table for volunteering.

Plug for earning 20 points by volunteering with the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail on MLK Day - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-day...s-223378881247

6. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize: Freezing Saddles Gives Back

Any Mega Volunteer points laying around between snow storms for good deeds that facilitate access to the next Mega Volunteer event?

After

Before (but after I already started and remembered “oops” need a pic!:-0).
    Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ELITE CaseyKane50 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weekly volunteering at the Rockville Bike Hub:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AA13A8D-1162-4BA8-8096-C6F5E15559D6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	26049
    I learned how to change out a worn free wheel cassette today.

10. Likes Judd, karenbikes2@gmail.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Proteus Velo Club/Greenbelt:

Hi, Jeff L here. Instead of Monday lunch laps in the Greenbelt Park, I'm going to do a ride from about 11am-2pm on Monday MLK day to scout, and, if needed, clear snow and ice from some of the trouble spots on the Anacostia River Trail System in Prince George's County. I'm assuming we will get 2-4 inches of new snow and slop on top of the existing snow- and ice-covered bridges that will need to be cleared, and I want to clear that before the next deep freeze turns it into glacier. My main objectives are the known trouble spots: wood bridges, the sidewalk by Charles Armentrout Road, boardwalks, etc. Not trying to plow the entire trail system -- the sun and the still-high trail surface temps will take care of the main sections of trail, and the cities do plow many parts of the trolley trail.

MEETUP: 11am, Proteus Bicycles parking lot (the bike shop is closed on Mondays). Probably rolling around 11:15 to 11:30 depending on coffee (see below under RSVP)
    ROUTE: South on the College Park/Hyattsville trolley trail to the NW Branch trail, then south on the ART to the boardwalk past the Bladenburg Marina, then turnaround north on ART and NE Branch trails back to College Park.
    DISTANCE: Total of about 20 miles RT, with frequent (I'm assuming) stops to clear snow on bridges and other trouble spots.
    BRING?: A shovel! Not necessary if you just want to ride, and I will try to bring two. But there will lots of shovel stops if it snows several inches. If it turns out that we don't get additional snow, we can just stop at the few remaining trouble spots that currently exist, particularly the boardwalk at Bladensburg, the wood bridges on the NE Branch, and (possibly) the new boardwalk section on the Indian Creek trail in Greenbelt. If it turns out that the snow changes to all rain and washes away even the existing trouble spots, then we can leave the shovels at Proteus and just have a nice ride!
    RIDE: If it's snowy on the trails, a mountain bike or street bike with wider tires and some tread will be better than a road bike with slicks.
    RSVP: Not necessary, but if you can let me know you're coming here on this thread or at Strava (jeff lemieux) If enough people come out, Annie may open the Proteus Brews coffee shop for us at 11 for pre-ride hot beverages.
    WEATHER: I'm hoping it will be above freezing by 11am on Monday, but it will be pretty cold and could get breezy later in the day. Bring an extra layer just in case!
    TEAMS: All teams welcome!
    NOTE: If you've never taken a shovel on a bike, it's fun and exciting! Some can fit scoop side first in a large pannier, or can be strapped to a backpack. I don't recommend the one-handed carry while riding, particularly if the trails are snowy or slushy. A good idea to test your system in a safe place beforehand.
    -Jeff

NOTE FOR JUDD: Will participating in this event count towards receiving any bonus points?

12. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mtansill View Post
    From the Proteus Velo Club/Greenbelt:

Hi, Jeff L here. Instead of Monday lunch laps in the Greenbelt Park, I'm going to do a ride from about 11am-2pm on Monday MLK day to scout, and, if needed, clear snow and ice from some of the trouble spots on the Anacostia River Trail System in Prince George's County. I'm assuming we will get 2-4 inches of new snow and slop on top of the existing snow- and ice-covered bridges that will need to be cleared, and I want to clear that before the next deep freeze turns it into glacier. My main objectives are the known trouble spots: wood bridges, the sidewalk by Charles Armentrout Road, boardwalks, etc. Not trying to plow the entire trail system -- the sun and the still-high trail surface temps will take care of the main sections of trail, and the cities do plow many parts of the trolley trail.

MEETUP: 11am, Proteus Bicycles parking lot (the bike shop is closed on Mondays). Probably rolling around 11:15 to 11:30 depending on coffee (see below under RSVP)
    ROUTE: South on the College Park/Hyattsville trolley trail to the NW Branch trail, then south on the ART to the boardwalk past the Bladenburg Marina, then turnaround north on ART and NE Branch trails back to College Park.
    DISTANCE: Total of about 20 miles RT, with frequent (I'm assuming) stops to clear snow on bridges and other trouble spots.
    BRING?: A shovel! Not necessary if you just want to ride, and I will try to bring two. But there will lots of shovel stops if it snows several inches. If it turns out that we don't get additional snow, we can just stop at the few remaining trouble spots that currently exist, particularly the boardwalk at Bladensburg, the wood bridges on the NE Branch, and (possibly) the new boardwalk section on the Indian Creek trail in Greenbelt. If it turns out that the snow changes to all rain and washes away even the existing trouble spots, then we can leave the shovels at Proteus and just have a nice ride!
    RIDE: If it's snowy on the trails, a mountain bike or street bike with wider tires and some tread will be better than a road bike with slicks.
    RSVP: Not necessary, but if you can let me know you're coming here on this thread or at Strava (jeff lemieux) If enough people come out, Annie may open the Proteus Brews coffee shop for us at 11 for pre-ride hot beverages.
    WEATHER: I'm hoping it will be above freezing by 11am on Monday, but it will be pretty cold and could get breezy later in the day. Bring an extra layer just in case!
    TEAMS: All teams welcome!
    NOTE: If you've never taken a shovel on a bike, it's fun and exciting! Some can fit scoop side first in a large pannier, or can be strapped to a backpack. I don't recommend the one-handed carry while riding, particularly if the trails are snowy or slushy. A good idea to test your system in a safe place beforehand.
    -Jeff

NOTE FOR JUDD: Will participating in this event count towards receiving any bonus points?
    MEGA BONUS POINTS are available for anyone who participates in this event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Boomer2U, Mtansill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a box springs and bed frame from a donor for Arlingtonians helping Afghans— an ad hoc group finding and furnishing apartments for recent refugees. No bike, because. . . A truck was needed. Stating the obvious, I’m not very good at selfie’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes Judd, CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MEGA ULTRA POINT OPPORTUNITY!

Donate blood and save a life. Anyone who rides their bike to donate blood in the month of January will receive 50 points, which would instantly put you near the top of the leaderboard. If you're unable to donate blood (I'm not eligible because I lived in England and am full of mad cow disease) I'll award 30 points if you donate $30 to the American Red Cross (or another blood service) in the month of January and post proof of donation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    MEGA ULTRA POINT OPPORTUNITY!

Donate blood and save a life. Anyone who rides their bike to donate blood in the month of January will receive 50 points, which would instantly put you near the top of the leaderboard. If you're unable to donate blood (I'm not eligible because I lived in England and am full of mad cow disease) I'll award 30 points if you donate $30 to the American Red Cross (or another blood service) in the month of January and post proof of donation.
    Would a blood donation on 1/13 count? I rode my bike there but didn’t take a photo. But I did get this hat!