Likes Likes:  615
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Immigrants Heritage Pointless Prize

Post Thanks / Like

An Ethiopian Market on Columbia Pike right next to the W&OD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was in a shopping center in Herndon that's full of ethnic restaurants AND Chaan Thai Massage. According to their website, they offer clients personalized experiences grounded in traditional Thai-style massage principles. Thai-style massage combines physical stimulation with mindful meditation, recognizing the importance of connecting mind, body and spirit for an exceptional relaxation experience. Massage sessions are conducted on a mat on the floor, rather than a massage table, with the provider manipulating the body in specific ways to stimulate organs and improve flexibility. I'd never heard of this type of massage before but will definitely check it out -- when, and if, Covid is ever under control enough for me to be able to relax while getting a massage!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChaanThaiMassage.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	26095

3. Likes camiller, Serdar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yanzi Noodle House & Taiwan Style Restaurant is located at the intersection of Main Street and Fairfax Blvd in Fairfax. According to their website, they are a Chinese & Taiwanese restaurant (Yanzi Luosifen & Taiwan Style). There specialty is Luosifen. Luosifen (Snail rice noodle) is a Chinese noodle dish and a speciality of the city of Liuzhou, in Guangxi, southern China. Luosifen is a mildly spicy Chinese noodle dish, with a wide variety of toppings of your choice such as pork, beef, duck, seafood, eggs, veggies, etc. They also make fried rice and hefen (fried/soup noodles).

My husband is not very adventurous regarding food so I will need to grab my daughter to try out this restaurant.

Name:	20220115_145510.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	26096

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in the Monuments and Memorials thread, but it seems it belongs here, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Here is a statue of Haym Salomon in Pan Pacific Park in Los Angeles. I had not heard of him, but evidently he was an active patriot in revolutionary America.

Attachment 25886

Attachment 25887
    The plaque reads:

A Jewish immigrant from Lezno, Poland, Haym Salomon arrived in New York City in the years preceding the revolutionary war. He was arrested by the British as a spy. Following his escape, he assisted the Continental Army as a purveyor to soldiers. He provided supplies and financial assistance while traveling with the troops withdrawing from New York. After moving his family to Philadelphia, he became a broker for the Office of Finance under the Superintendent for Finance, Robert Morris. Fluent in several languages, Salomon was invaluable negotiating sale of war aid from European countries, including France and Holland. Haym Salomon donated most of his personal effects and financial holdings to the American Revolution. He died Jan 6, 1785 in Philadelphia, PA.

"Gentleman, Scholar, Patriot and Banker, whose only interest was the interest of his country." - Congress Report 1936

Marker placed by the Los Angeles - Eschscholtzia Chapter National Society of Daughters of the Revolution 2015

6. Likes Serdar liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    One of our favorite places, and handy to Jones Point.

Got a picture today, also bought some Sidamo Ethiopian coffee. (Btw, my parents who were not coffee nerds, as few Americans were back then, made a point of starting each day's visit to Expo '67 in Montreal with a stop at the Ethiopian pavilion for the coffee)

Name:	IMG_20220116_141104_757.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	26134

Post Thanks / Like

1/16/2022 Ukrainian Immigrants opened up a small convenience store near the train station

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes Serdar, karenbikes2@gmail.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tandoori Restaurant, on Willard Way in Fairfax City, specializes in Indian and Nepalese cuisine.

Name:	20220116_110826.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	26176

11. Likes Serdar, karenbikes2@gmail.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Tandoori Restaurant, on Willard Way in Fairfax City, specializes in Indian and Nepalese cuisine.

Name:	20220116_110826.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	26176
    As far as I know, Nepalese samosas are yummy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    1/16/2022 Ukrainian Immigrants opened up a small convenience store near the train station

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wonder what they sell there. If it were a restaurant I would recommend their national meals.

Post Thanks / Like

#ImHer - Turkey

Turkish cuisine is one of the world's top cuisines, joining the ranks of French, Chinese, Italian, and the like. The country's cultural mosaic, the food of Turkey are colorful and contain countless influences and tastes. The cuisine has continued to evolve over centuries, deriving influence from its rich history.

The name “Akiva” has its origin in Aramaic and in Hebrew means “protector” but in Arabic it means “heel; replaces..”

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes karenbikes2@gmail.com, Serdar, SFrank liked this post