Likes Likes:  615
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Immigrants Heritage Pointless Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Prompted by nostalgia owner of this Greek restaurant brings his traditional dishes from Cyrus. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...f0a_story.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	958FA718-E2A5-4092-A8DE-6FCC7BAC42AE.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	28983

2. Likes karenbikes2@gmail.com, Serdar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yas Bakery & Supermarket (137 Church St NW, Vienna, VA) is a family owned bakery and grocery store established in 1986 in the heart of Vienna's historical Church Street.

In addition to their own in-house-made pastry and baked bread, they carry a verity of grocery items ranging from all kinds of tea to middle eastern goods from Iran, Turkey, and Arab countries, and local produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Serdar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rasika, showcasing modern Indian cuisine. The owner, Ashok Bajaj, immigrated from India and is now a successful restaurateur with multiple high-end restaurants in DC. Living the American Dream!

Last edited by bikedavid; 03-20-2022 at 12:58 AM.

6. Likes karenbikes2@gmail.com, Serdar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, Serdar, for hosting Immigrants Heritage pointless prize game for BAFS this year! This game gave me a greater appreciation for the magnitude and variety of contributions to US society from recent immigrants. AND it motivated me to get out and ride even on the worst winter days!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Immigrants Heritage Pointless Prize players,

The 2022 Freezing Saddles is over. I believe you have rested a bit since last Saturday. So now it is time to announce the Immigrants Heritage Pointless Prize winners officially. The winners are:

Cathy M – 1st place, Cathy rode 1257,7 miles to find 65 establishments founded or run by immigrants. Cathy’s findings included Virginia’s Fairfax area and Moab City in Utah.
    Karen Hass – 2nd place, Karen rode 1162.3 miles to find 58 establishments founded or run by immigrants in the Reston area.
    Sophie CW – 3rd place, Sophie rode 275 miles to find 30 establishments founded or run by immigrants in the Rockville area.

Congratulations! Your prizes are:

1st place – a book by Isabel Allende - a writer who immigrated to Spain from Chile. Special thanks to Chris Watson for this idea and submitting #ImHer entries from Spain.
    2nd place – A gift card from Call Your Mother Jewish Deli
    3rd place - Coffee from the Abyssinia Market & Coffee House.

This Sunday, you will receive the prizes at the Final Happy Hour at Conte’s Falls Church. See you there!

Serdar
    Last edited by Serdar; 03-26-2022 at 05:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karenbikes2@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks so much, Serdar, for hosting Immigrants Heritage pointless prize game for BAFS this year! This game gave me a greater appreciation for the magnitude and variety of contributions to US society from recent immigrants. AND it motivated me to get out and ride even on the worst winter days!

I second Karen's comments. This game definitely expanded my horizons and made my rides more interesting.

10. Likes Serdar, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the final #ImHer entry, I submit BAFS2022’s very own sponsor of this pointless prize, @Serdar!

His immigrant story in his own words (from an interview):

“How I came to America? I was an English schoolteacher in Turkmenistan. Made friends with Peace Corps volunteers and loved America and Americans. My sons loved my friends too. Therefore, they applied to American colleges.
    When both of them were here as international students I won a Green Card lottery. So the decision to move here was quick because our sons were already in America. The rest is history now. We moved and got good jobs and friends. Now we live our happy life in America.

And now he is organizing BAFS2022 pointless prizes and leading #ImHer rides for freezing saddles