Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Baltimore to DC?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Baltimore to DC?

    I'm planning on taking the MARC to Baltimore on an upcoming Friday when I have the day off. I'm then going to bike back to Greenbelt park to camp for the night before the final short leg the following morning.

    I know the Bike Washington website has a route between Baltimore and DC, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done this trip recently or has any other route suggestions.


    Thanks!
    Smitty

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

  2. Likes Serdar liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've only ever ridden DC -> Baltimore, not vice versa, but https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37966497 is the reverse of the route I did last month, which I thought worked pretty well. Just pay attention to the few places on the cuesheet (at miles 3.0, 4.3, and 10.1) where there are some tricky spots -- e.g., I suggest staying on the sidewalk for a block or two, or using a cut-through by a train station.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arlingrton
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    I've only ever ridden DC -> Baltimore, not vice versa, but https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37966497 is the reverse of the route I did last month, which I thought worked pretty well. Just pay attention to the few places on the cuesheet (at miles 3.0, 4.3, and 10.1) where there are some tricky spots -- e.g., I suggest staying on the sidewalk for a block or two, or using a cut-through by a train station.
    This is really cool! A buddy had suggested doing a 50 miler for his birthday coming up in two weeks and this could be a good adventure. Once at Benning Road you could motor along the Anacostia trail, over the new bridge, and work our way back into Arlington. And you felt, except for the noted spots, that this was a pretty safe route in all regards? Any othe tips for riding it?

    JG

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    This is really cool! A buddy had suggested doing a 50 miler for his birthday coming up in two weeks and this could be a good adventure. Once at Benning Road you could motor along the Anacostia trail, over the new bridge, and work our way back into Arlington. And you felt, except for the noted spots, that this was a pretty safe route in all regards? Any othe tips for riding it?

    JG
    The route uses a lot of bike lanes, trails, and back roads, and I've found it all pretty manageable even when riding solo. The hairiest area is between miles 6.7 and 12.0, where you'll just need to be assertive and take the lane. And yes, once you're at Benning Road you can take either side of the Anacostia trail system and work your way back to Arlington. You'll also be pretty close to the Minnesota Ave. metro station if you want to metro back to Arlington from there.

    One other thing to note is that the tracks at Penn Station are one level below the station, so you'll need to carry your bike up the stairs to exit the station. With a fully loaded bike, I usually have to make two trips up and down the stairs -- one trip to carry the bike up, and one trip to carry the panniers up.

  6. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have followed Komo on this route multiple times. Just the one little stretch that sucks. Otherwise lots of trail riding, backroads, quiet neighborhoods and empty industrial park roads.

    Took this picture on the route last month.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes JorgeGortex, komorebi, Serdar, kwarkentien liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    I've only ever ridden DC -> Baltimore, not vice versa, but https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37966497 is the reverse of the route I did last month, which I thought worked pretty well. Just pay attention to the few places on the cuesheet (at miles 3.0, 4.3, and 10.1) where there are some tricky spots -- e.g., I suggest staying on the sidewalk for a block or two, or using a cut-through by a train station.
    Wow awesome thank you! Will definitely use this route. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Excited to get out there and bike camp again. I've done a few overnighters already this year, but this will be the most "adventurous."

    Trying to make up for a canceled DC to Pittsburgh fall trip.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Smitty2k1; 11-08-2021 at 10:42 PM.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arlingrton
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks, Komo and Judd! I appreciate the intel. This could be a really nice day ride. One other question-

    I know about taking bikes on Metro, but I'm having a hard time finding info about the MARC train, which seems like I'd grab at New Carrolton. Do you have any insight about taking bikes onto the MARC trains and how that works? (I've never taken MARC anywhere, and not taken a bike on Amtrack either.)

    Thanks, JG

    Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    The route uses a lot of bike lanes, trails, and back roads, and I've found it all pretty manageable even when riding solo. The hairiest area is between miles 6.7 and 12.0, where you'll just need to be assertive and take the lane. And yes, once you're at Benning Road you can take either side of the Anacostia trail system and work your way back to Arlington. You'll also be pretty close to the Minnesota Ave. metro station if you want to metro back to Arlington from there.

    One other thing to note is that the tracks at Penn Station are one level below the station, so you'll need to carry your bike up the stairs to exit the station. With a fully loaded bike, I usually have to make two trips up and down the stairs -- one trip to carry the bike up, and one trip to carry the panniers up.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Columbia Pike
    Posts
    1,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This has the official "Bike on MARC Trains" info: https://www.mta.maryland.gov/bike

  12. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe that most or all of the weekend trains on the Penn Line have a dedicated bike car as the northernmost railcar on the train. In other words, half of the seats have been removed for bike racks, as shown in the (old) picture below:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_160537rsz.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	25412

    For other trains, as chris_s' link indicates, the bike rack/bike area will depend on the train. Here's the vertical rack used on some MARC trains:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210620_135553rsz2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	25414
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by komorebi; 11-09-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: fixing photo orientation

  14. Likes Starduster, Steve O liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    This has the official "Bike on MARC Trains" info: https://www.mta.maryland.gov/bike
    Thanks for this link, I knew MARC recently allowed bikes on all trains on all lines on all days, but I didn't know some of the details:

    BIKES ON MARC TRAIN
    Full-size bicycles are now permitted on all MARC trains on all three lines. Identify which railcar to board by looking for the green "Bicycle Entrance" decal or an illuminated green light on the outside of the car. Passengers unable to find an available bike rack will need to wait for the next train with bike storage.

    Securing Bicycles
    Passengers must bring two (2) bungee cords to secure their bicycles. Not all types of rail cars have racks for bikes. On those that donít, passengers are required to secure their bikes in the designated area using two bungee cords. MARC train equipment assignments vary day-to-day and your train may have any type of MARC rail car, therefore, you must be prepared to travel and store your bike with bungee cords. Passengers are not permitted to bring their bikes on a railcar that does not have bike racks if they do not have bungee cords to secure their bike.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

  16. Likes Pedal2DC liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •