Thread: A point in Burley's favor

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A point in Burley's favor

When I started thinking about how best to convey my children by bike, I heard conflicting views over whether a bike seat is safer than a trailer. Both sides made good points, and I still don't think one side or the other is definitely right.

However, I have to say that today I was happy to have the trailer. Earlier in the day, I had gone through the intersection of 18th and Columbia (turned left from 19th onto Columbia) on my own, and saw that the construction on 18th St (which will be really nice when it's done, I think, but it doesn't show signs of ever getting there) was really making the intersection a mess.

I usually drag the kids in the trailer through that intersection on the way home from daycare/school. I've considered a couple routes, and that is the best I've come up with for the combination of hills, bike lanes, and not-terrible traffic. Today I thought I might take a different route because of the construction, but I didn't because a different route would take me well out of my way.

But I should have. As I came through the intersection, there was a big chunk of pavement torn up, creating a long straight "cliff" maybe 2 inches high. Well, my front wheel got caught, and I went down. Nothing too serious - my hip has a nice bruise, and a bit of a bump just below my elbow, but nothing horrible. I'm hoping my brake is twisted around the bar and not bent - I'm pretty sure it's okay, but I'm taking it to my LBS tomorrow to make sure.

The trailer? It just sat there like I'd come to a gentle stop on purpose. The kids seemed a bit perplexed, but if their eyes had been closed, I don't think they would have noticed.

So, I was really embarrassed, and I imagine I'll be a little more sore tomorrow, but I'll recover shortly, and the kids may have already forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear everyone was ok. If you'd like to share your story on our Facebook page , our fans would love to read it! Happy riding!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you share your story on facebook, I will add your as friend