Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Many Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I remember back when riding on the Parkway itself (at least south of Old Town) was legal. I believe there were any number of weekend group rides along that stretch.
    The road would be a far, far superior, and almost certainly safer, place to ride than the trail.

I wonder if it would be worth organizing something like a Critical Mass ride on the Parkway itself on a Saturday or Sunday with a big group of riders to raise awareness of the inadequacy of the trail?
    Are bikes actually banned from the Parkway by Federal Law or have we just been bullied?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I remember back when riding on the Parkway itself (at least south of Old Town) was legal. I believe there were any number of weekend group rides along that stretch.
    The road would be a far, far superior, and almost certainly safer, place to ride than the trail.
    It would be, *except*... for the current volume of high speed traffic running well over the posted speed limit, and no shoulder, paved or otherwise, anywhere. So right now, trading one set of hazards for another. Even for the fit, fast, and fearless.

Now if someone will do a Critical Mass ride, I'm in.

3. Likes Judd liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    It would be, *except*... for the current volume of high speed traffic running well over the posted speed limit, and no shoulder, paved or otherwise, anywhere. So right now, trading one set of hazards for another. Even for the fit, fast, and fearless.
    Those conditions are true only some of the time, particularly volume. Weekends were when riders would generally use the Parkway, and during those times traffic volumes are low enough that drivers are completely comfortable moving over to the other lane and giving cyclists plenty of room.

I believe a more progressive Park Service could open the Parkway to cyclists on weekends with no affect on traffic whatsoever. In fact, they could make the right lane "cyclists only" except where they need to move on or off, and with good signage and as drivers got used to it, it would be kind of like the VA version of Beach Drive.

5. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Things have gotten a bit more complicated on the southern portion of the GWMP. In October, NPS began to restripe the southern portion of the parkway from Alexandria to Mount Vernon. From Tulane Drive to Stratford Lane, there will be two travel lanes northbound, a single lane southbound, and a center turn lane. I guess drivers could use the center turn lane to pass people who are biking southbound. Certainly drivers use the turn lanes on eastbound Seminary Road (posted speed limit 25 mph) including driving over medians to get past bike riders.

For those who are interested in the details - Traffic and Safety Context Sensitive Solutions Assessment. Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail (FOMVT) and Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling (FABB) provided input to the NPS on road and trail conditions for people who walk and bike.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 11-02-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added link to traffic and safety study

7. Likes Pedal2DC, JorgeGortex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Are bikes actually banned from the Parkway by Federal Law or have we just been bullied?
    Riding a bike on the Parkway is prohibited through the Superintendent’s Compendium. Each park has its own compendium setting forth the rules of the Park. It has all kinds of stuff like park hours, fees and restrictions on activities like fires and camping.

The GWMP compendium is at http://home.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/manag...compendium.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Pedal2DC, JorgeGortex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post

Now if someone will do a Critical Mass ride, I'm in.
    The primary motivation for Barbara Lynch, one of the people responsible (along with Ellen Pickering) for the MVT existing advocated for it because she didn’t like her husband riding on the Parkway.

The Parkway South Safety Study had some interesting data on the percentage of drivers exceeding the speed limit which was most of them and also by a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Pedal2DC, Starduster liked this post