Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Many Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Many Thanks

Those using the 4MR connector between the MVT and WOD will notice that the two high, hazardous “speed bumps” just east of I-395 have finally been fixed. They were terribly-constructed seams at each end of a 100 yard-long stretch of asphalt that inexplicably interrupts the otherwise concrete trail surface.

After watching a cyclist in front of me lose control and crash upon hitting one of them over a year ago, I began persistently lobbying the Arlington trails folks to fix them. It shouldn’t have taken this long, but it finally happened. They’ve not only been lowered and flattened, they’ve been painted bright yellow to give them visibility.

Appreciate the efforts of Dan Richards in that office (703.228.6524).

Here’s another tip of the cap. In addition to their awesome work this summer in de-landscaping to improve visibility at several “hot corners”, The Friends of the MVT have been painting red warning stripes parallel to the worst of the root heaves along the MVT (from my observation, beginning in OT and northward).

As users know, the root heaves run the gamut from bone jarring annoyances to genuine hazards for cyclists and runners alike. Giving them at least a bit of visibility is a good thing, and the upcoming projects under their (and NPS) auspices to fix them is most welcome.

The MVT is in the worst overall shape of the major NOVA trails (e.g., Custis, WOD, 4MR, etc.). It would be so much worse without the efforts of the Friends of the MVT. So to all you good folks — thank you!

2. Likes Judd, JorgeGortex, JustinW, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a photo of one of the repairs.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what, the third of fourth time those two spots have been "fixed" since the trail was completed just over ten years ago?

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the advocacy to get this fixed Dan. Looks good from Casey’s picture and I’m looking forward to not grumbling when I ride that part of the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Here’s another tip of the cap. In addition to their awesome work this summer in de-landscaping to improve visibility at several “hot corners”, The Friends of the MVT have been painting red warning stripes parallel to the worst of the root heaves along the MVT (from my observation, beginning in OT and northward).

As users know, the root heaves run the gamut from bone jarring annoyances to genuine hazards for cyclists and runners alike. Giving them at least a bit of visibility is a good thing, and the upcoming projects under their (and NPS) auspices to fix them is most welcome.

The MVT is in the worst overall shape of the major NOVA trails (e.g., Custis, WOD, 4MR, etc.). It would be so much worse without the efforts of the Friends of the MVT. So to all you good folks — thank you!
    I wish FoMVT could take credit for marking the trail heaves with spray paint. This was done by a trail user on his own. I have met him and he did volunteer with us once.

We are doing trail bump fixes now and looking forward to fixing as many as we can. https://twitter.com/mtvernonfriends/...999691778?s=21

8. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What can we do to put pressure on those in charge of the MVT trail and other areas to get real fixes done in a reasonable amount of time? Riding the MVT is downright dangerous and something I avoid except to get to Haines Point the "easy" way these days. To make matters worse a friend went down hard after hitting a root bump today on the MVT near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and broke his collar bone. His MIPS helmet saved his head. He's a very experienced cyclist, so this was a fluke for him, but still.

There are so many bad spots on the trails that make me think the engineers and foremen that do the construction are clueless. Let me make my rant list:

1. The turn from 4M trail along Glebe to get on the trail as it goes under W. Glebe and Glebe Rd. Who puts metal fencing on a 90-degree turn on a busy trail?
    2. The new "round-a-bout" at the bottom of the Custis Trail after it goes under 66. The concrete edge is raised in such a way that if you aren't careful you can catch the sidewall of your tire and nearly go down. Which I've nearly done more than once.
    3. That beautiful new bridge over Lee/Langston Blvd that dumps into a busy, narrow trail with people merging or moving from two directions, with limited sightlines from 19th Rd.
    4. The aforementioned MVT Trail, which is so rooted as to be absurd, let alone dangerous.

Frankly, I am surprised there aren't more accidents and injuries in these locations. It's a big reason I mostly avoid the trails anymore... and there is the irony because I now have to keep fingers crossed my smart riding protects me from the distracted idiots in cars.

JG

10. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I wish FoMVT could take credit for marking the trail heaves with spray paint. This was done by a trail user on his own. I have met him and he did volunteer with us once.

We are doing trail bump fixes now and looking forward to fixing as many as we can. https://twitter.com/mtvernonfriends/...999691778?s=21

Judd: Appreciate you recognizing the anonymous good samaritan who is marking the heaves. So whoever you are — thank you!

Regarding the upcoming work of the FoMVT, please allow me to nominate what I think might be the currently most dangerous spot: the asphalt right at the north end of the short concrete stretch directly behind the power plant.

There are several very high root heaves that southbound cyclists encounter at the bottom of a steep downhill stretch that then leads right into an already dangerous blind curve (dangerous enough to warrant the mirror that is thankfully there). The root heaves significantly increase the hazard there.

Similar to the effort described in my OP regarding 4MR, three years ago I repeatedly badgered NPS to fix this spot. They finally did, but it’s bad again, perhaps even worse. I respectfully suggest you good folks make this spot a priority in your upcoming efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    What can we do to put pressure on those in charge of the MVT trail and other areas to get real fixes done in a reasonable amount of time?

JG
    JorgeGortex: I share your frustration.

NPS is far less responsive than the various localities that govern the other NOVA trails. In fairness, I think this is at least in part due to the fact they they are part of the far, far bigger federal (as opposed to local) bureaucracy and are therefore less resourced, both financially and in terms of manpower. This causes them to generally respond with the same old “humma, humma, wuzza, wuzza” non-answers, non-actions.

To your question, something I’ve been contemplating is filing formal congressional complaints with Beyer’s office in the House, and with Warner and Kaine in the Senate. I would highlight the overall disgraceful (and therefore dangerous) condition of the MVT relative to the other local trails and ask them to take action with NPS.

There are some additional “infrastructure” resources out there at the federal level these days. So the more of us who get this on their radar screens, the more chance this squeaky wheel may get some grease.

13. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post

Regarding the upcoming work of the FoMVT, please allow me to nominate what I think might be the currently most dangerous spot: the asphalt right at the north end of the short concrete stretch directly behind the power plant.

There are several very high root heaves that southbound cyclists encounter at the bottom of a steep downhill stretch that then leads right into an already dangerous blind curve (dangerous enough to warrant the mirror that is thankfully there). The root heaves significantly increase the hazard there.
    It just so happens that we are working on that area next week and are in need of a lot of volunteers still. The heaves between the power plant bridge and marina towers are likely going to be cut out and patched which is much more labor intensive than using the concrete planer. Full details and registration are at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trail-b...s-179586075787

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    What can we do to put pressure on those in charge of the MVT trail and other areas to get real fixes done in a reasonable amount of time?
    reallocate an itty-bitty portion of the road maintenance budget?

16. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post