Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Many Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    It just so happens that we are working on that area next week and are in need of a lot of volunteers still. The heaves between the power plant bridge and marina towers are likely going to be cut out and patched which is much more labor intensive than using the concrete planer. Full details and registration are at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trail-b...s-179586075787
    Awesome! I'll be there. Is it rain or shine?

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of weeks ago, I rode with #accordioneur on an Arlington 55 + Ride, from Belle Haven to Mt. Vernon. I will testify that stretch has become worse since I last ran it 2 years ago. *Many* root heaves and pavement fall-outs disguised by fallen leaves. No one crashed, I didn't go down, but still. The need is...obvious. Let me make sure I can commit this weekend... merci!
    Last edited by Starduster; 10-27-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Had to adjust the location for the trail bump work this weekend (Sorry Dan K!) The new work site is going to be at Belle Haven Park. The original location near the power plant bridge is going to require some cutting of roots, which needs to occur when the trees are dormant to reduce injury. The very warm fall means that all of the trees in the area were still very green. I'm looking to reschedule the power plant bridge work in December.

Hope folks can join us this Saturday to make the trail a little bit better: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trail-b...s-179586075787

Post Thanks / Like

Although design is certainly a problem in many places, the real problem with the MVT is neglect. The Park Service all but stopped doing routine maintenance on the trail a few years ago. No money, they say. Two huge trees fell along the trail north of the stone bridge. Their root balls tore up the side of the trail. Nothing has been done. The MVT painter has saved my neck any number of times. They also paint potholes and warning arrows.

I sometimes ride a long wheel base recumbent on the trail. In June I hit a root heave that snapped my fork. My butt has gone airborne a number of times from sequential root heaves, despite the fact that the long wheelbase acts as suspension.

Volunteer efforts are wonderful as are those by Arlington County and Alexandria City. But the Park Service has surrendered. The MVT is a very low priority. I think it's time to take a US Senator or two on a trail ride. 34 years ago a senator's wife was seriously injured on the trail while riding with her husband. She recovered and some funds were allocated to redesign the MV end of the trail. I know 2 other people that crashed in the same place. One was my wife. The redesigned trail isn't all that much better. I crashed there in 1989. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-941141d98446/

5. Likes Oldtowner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rootchopper is spot on here. NPS used to be much better at maintaining the MVT. They’d even be out there leaf blowing in the fall. A few years ago efforts all but stopped. They do stay on top of the wooden bridges, at least. As for everything else, it’s just been a slow steady decline and has gotten to be dangerous. If only there were a massive infrastructure bill or something to fund ya know, infrastructure..

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtowner View Post
    Rootchopper is spot on here. NPS used to be much better at maintaining the MVT. They’d even be out there leaf blowing in the fall. A few years ago efforts all but stopped. They do stay on top of the wooden bridges, at least. As for everything else, it’s just been a slow steady decline and has gotten to be dangerous. If only there were a massive infrastructure bill or something to fund ya know, infrastructure..
    Or some billionaires who were concerned about bike infrastructure who might make a sustaining contribution.

9. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I rode with #accordioneur on an Arlington 55 + Ride, from Belle Haven to Mt. Vernon. I will testify that stretch has become worse since I last ran it 2 years ago. *Many* root heaves and pavement fall-outs disguised by fallen leaves. No one crashed, I didn't go down, but still. The need is...obvious. Let me make sure I can commit this weekend... merci!
    Yeah, we got pretty bounced around. Someone else at planning central had come up with that ride; given the trail's condition, the southern MVT wouldn't have been my choice of a ride for the 55+ bike group. Still, it was a nice outing. Fortunately, neither bikes nor riders sustained any serious injuries.

11. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In route planning for the TdMV, we determined that the section of the MVT between Alexandria Ave (Stone Bridge) and Fort Hunt is too dangerous for a group ride, despite the hard work of FoMVT pressure washing bridges. In fact, everything south of Belle Haven is in pretty bad shape. The MVT study confirmed this. It's time for advocacy.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

13. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes Pedal2DC liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember back when riding on the Parkway itself (at least south of Old Town) was legal. I believe there were any number of weekend group rides along that stretch.
    The road would be a far, far superior, and almost certainly safer, place to ride than the trail.

I wonder if it would be worth organizing something like a Critical Mass ride on the Parkway itself on a Saturday or Sunday with a big group of riders to raise awareness of the inadequacy of the trail?

17. Likes Pedal2DC, JorgeGortex liked this post