Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poorly 'designed' system for discounted annual membership

Post Thanks / Like

Such awful online customer service from CaBi. It's been a full week since I last wrote CaBi about my trouble renewing with an employer-provided code, and they have not replied at all. This is so what I recall about Motivate -- fast initial response with obviously canned text, and no follow-through.

My membership is set to renew next Wednesday, so at this point I've set an alarm to remind myself to just flat out cancel on Tuesday to avoid either of my payment methods being charged. I'll worry about re-upping with a code on Thursday -- thank goodness I don't actually rely on CaBi to get around.

Next up, I guess, is writing my local jurisdiction so they're aware (I don't live in ArlCo, so my particular trouble doesn't need to be Henry's concern).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    My membership is set to renew next Wednesday, so at this point I've set an alarm to remind myself to just flat out cancel on Tuesday to avoid either of my payment methods being charged. I'll worry about re-upping with a code on Thursday -- thank goodness I don't actually rely on CaBi to get around.
    Admitting this is broken and I'm working with Lyft to fix it, one work-around is to call Customer Service, have them cancel your account, then you can re-register with the code right away.

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Next up, I guess, is writing my local jurisdiction so they're aware (I don't live in ArlCo, so my particular trouble doesn't need to be Henry's concern).
    Please do. It will help escalate the priority.
    Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Admitting this is broken and I'm working with Lyft to fix it, one work-around is to call Customer Service, have them cancel your account, then you can re-register with the code right away.
    Thanks. I wrote CaBi again yesterday, asking about my request status.

Minor fail: despite my doing this by replying to the last email I got from the ticketing system per its instructions ("To add additional comments, reply to this email."), my reply yesterday generated a new ticket number and "Request received" email.

Likely success: Lyft support replied to that new ticket to say they'd done what the CaBi site doesn't seem** to allow me to do on my own: disable automatic membership renewal, so that after my term ends I should be able to reactivate with the employer-provided code. I'm crossing my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Next up, I guess, is writing my local jurisdiction so they're aware (I don't live in ArlCo
    Please do. It will help escalate the priority.
    I have done so.

Thanks!

** There's no toggle for auto-renewal, only a Cancel button, which I was reluctant to use because there were no assurances of what would happen once it was clicked, e.g., nothing reassuring me that there would be a confirmation screen next. I see now that CaBi does have a support page on cancellations but first off, it's pretty vague (the bit about refunds within 14 days implies I shouldn't expect money back, but it doesn't clarify whether cancellations are immediate [which I might want if I'd lost my key and didn't want to use CaBi any more] or if I'd retain membership benefits through the end of my current membership term); second, over the years I've come not to trust the correctness of CaBi's online information; third, I've usually found customer support to be pretty bad & at best slow to resolve issues, so I am inclined to try to avoid anything that seems likely to cause a problem requiring their assistance.

4. Likes Henry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I may be in a similar situation where I would want to disable automatic renewal but it won't be for over half a year. I won an annual membership in the raffle from the Car Free Day. Luckily, they snail mailed me the notification because the email went to spam. Hopefully the renewal code is still valid next year.

I did click the Cancel button to see what was next. There was a pop-up that first asked for your reasons to cancel with a long list of checkboxes. Some reasons were too expensive, moved out of area, not enough bikes, but I think there were at least 10 and possibly any Other for free-form text. Anyway, choose one or more and click Next (or some other to quit the cancel process). The next tells you that you can suspend your membership for up to 12 weeks or you can confirm your cancellation. I clicked the link for the suspense and it shows a calendar widget. I stopped the process at that point (i.e. did not do membership cancellation or suspension). So I did not get stuck in the wizard, but the original Cancel button provides no confidence whether it is immediate or not.

Anyway, I think the automatic opt-in for renewal and the inability to cancel that would be considered a "dark pattern". When I joined CaBi, the renewal may have been opt-in, but am not sure. I do wish there was legislation to regulate online subscription/renewal/cancellation.