Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Sep 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sep 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

No doubt many trails and roads have mud, branches and other debris on them. Let us know about any egregious spots.

And let's be careful out there ...

Name:  Conrad.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  5.5 KB
    Henry

Post Thanks / Like

The root heave at the intersection of the Mount Vernon Trail and Four Mile Run Trail was cut out and patched this morning. The patch is currently coned off to allow it to cure. I'm anticipating being able to pull the cones off tomorrow morning.

A few pictures of the work being performed is on the FoMVT Twitters: https://twitter.com/MtVernonFriends/...124380674?s=20

3. Likes JustinW, DrP, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The root heave at the intersection of the Mount Vernon Trail and Four Mile Run Trail was cut out and patched this morning. The patch is currently coned off to allow it to cure. I'm anticipating being able to pull the cones off tomorrow morning.

A few pictures of the work being performed is on the FoMVT Twitters: https://twitter.com/MtVernonFriends/...124380674?s=20
    I noticed this Sunday. So nice! Thank you for letting us know.

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I noticed this Sunday. So nice! Thank you for letting us know.
    Rode over it a few times this weekend and it's a pretty good patch. Not quite as flat as I'd like it but we used cold patch and hand tampers so I'm trying to let the perfectionism go. I'll be out on the trail Thursday at the S-Curve near Daingerfield Island learning how to the concrete planer. Currently anticipating that there will be lots of work on MVT root heaves this fall.

7. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do most of my riding at night (thanks to a 13mo that takes two of us full time to manage) and around the Anacostia trails in SE DC. I've noticed that TONS of the path lighting is out, especially east of the river. I don't think it's a timing thing with the sun setting sooner, as the occasional light here and there is on, but it's VERY dark. Who can I contact about this?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    I do most of my riding at night (thanks to a 13mo that takes two of us full time to manage) and around the Anacostia trails in SE DC. I've noticed that TONS of the path lighting is out, especially east of the river. I don't think it's a timing thing with the sun setting sooner, as the occasional light here and there is on, but it's VERY dark. Who can I contact about this?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Likely the responsibility of Anacostia Park of the National Park Service. Contact methods are on the very bottom of the page at https://www.nps.gov/anac/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Unexpected Rock Creek Park trail closure:
    So, first a warning for those who do not travel the trail frequently and second, I am looking forward to having these areas improved.
    Yesterday I was biking through Rock Creek Park and hit a trail closure that wasn’t there a few weeks ago and I had not heard about before. I cannot locate it on the Rock Creek Park web page either. I was heading south through the park.
    Trail is blocked starting at Shoreham Drive at the north end of the exercise trail and the “end construction” sign and full access to the trail is at the P Street entrance. There was one sign pointing up Shoreham about a detour and no other information. Being curious and trying to understand how much was an issue, I went down Shoreham to the parkway. The trail was then “open” and closed and mostly passible, at least while they were not working (it was Sunday) – lots of machines on the trail. I could not tell what was going on close to Shoreham, but the rest appeared to be work on both the trail and the creek – some areas that they have worked on many times over the past decade or so (like between cemetery and Q st) – but definitely areas that have been flooding more and more frequently.

Anyone know the plans for this – what is happening and when it will be done? Anyone travel the detour and what is it like?

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

There is still a big sand pit under Carlin Springs Rd on the W&OD. It completely covers the creekside lane (SE bound) and is soft. The similar pit under Wilson Blvd was cleared last Friday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Unexpected Rock Creek Park trail closure:
    So, first a warning for those who do not travel the trail frequently and second, I am looking forward to having these areas improved.
    Yesterday I was biking through Rock Creek Park and hit a trail closure that wasn’t there a few weeks ago and I had not heard about before. I cannot locate it on the Rock Creek Park web page either. I was heading south through the park.
    Trail is blocked starting at Shoreham Drive at the north end of the exercise trail and the “end construction” sign and full access to the trail is at the P Street entrance. There was one sign pointing up Shoreham about a detour and no other information. Being curious and trying to understand how much was an issue, I went down Shoreham to the parkway. The trail was then “open” and closed and mostly passible, at least while they were not working (it was Sunday) – lots of machines on the trail. I could not tell what was going on close to Shoreham, but the rest appeared to be work on both the trail and the creek – some areas that they have worked on many times over the past decade or so (like between cemetery and Q st) – but definitely areas that have been flooding more and more frequently.

Anyone know the plans for this – what is happening and when it will be done? Anyone travel the detour and what is it like?
    DDOT project page has some info along with a detour map. https://rock-creek-trail-dcgis.hub.a...rces#maps-data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Steve O, DrP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    DDOT project page has some info along with a detour map. https://rock-creek-trail-dcgis.hub.a...rces#maps-data
    Thank you!
    Interesting that ddot has the info but not the park. That detour doesn't look like fun for 7 months. They would be much better off closing a lane of the parkway for bikes & ped, but I know that is unlikely.