Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike camping locations other than C&O?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Here's a photo from when I was there in 2014. Have a good time!

Name:  IMG_1289.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  20.6 KB
    Managed to miss all the rain and things were nice and cool yesterday evening. Campsite was rather loud and they are packed in next to each other real close.

Mostly a nice ride from DC. The Mount Vernon Highway stretch was a tad uncomfortable with Friday PM rush hour traffic, and the stretch acrosst that new bridge had us being tailgated by a few cars that refused to pass.

Bike path along Hwy 1 is much appreciated. The unprotected bike lane that was on the road looked super sketchy. Thanks again for the info and directions.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another multi-modal option is to take the Silver Line to Wiehle-Reston and ride to Sky Meadows State Park near Paris, VA. Compared to the ride down to Pohick, the roads along this route will be much quieter.

From the end of the Silver Line ride the W&OD for about 18 miles to Leesburg and then take a mix of paved and gravel roads southwest to Sky Meadows. The camping is primitive with very nice sites, pit toilets and firewood available. The parking lot is about a mile away and the only way to access the sites is a trail that can be ridden on the right bike. Since it's a hike in there are no loud car campers to contend with. There is no potable water, but the Upperville Country Store is a handy resupply about 10 miles before camp.

Here's a route to camp: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18645720.

And a return: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26734445

4. Likes secstate, Steve O, NoVaNoobGA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctankcycles View Post
    There is no potable water
    Did the visitor center close?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Did the visitor center close?
    The Internet tells me it is open so that could be an option, although I've always arrived after it closes at 5pm and it's a bit of an uphill ride to get there from the trail to the campground.