Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Smartphone holders - recommendations & warnings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smartphone holders - recommendations & warnings?

Bike People,

I may forgo an actual installed bike computer on a new ride and instead opt to use a smartphone as a speedo and all of that stuff. What's the state of the art in terms of smartphone holders? Or has anyone come up with a better scheme?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it. Too risky as today's phone are too big. Keep the phone in your pocket and just get a bike computer.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rammount.com/

In addition to mounts for bikes they make mounts for motorcycles. If it can keep a phone on a motorcycle, it can keep it on your bike.

I've been using one for about 10 years now. The only time my phone came out it was user laziness - I hadn't fully seated it in the mount - and I had hit a speed bump somewhat unexpectedly on a downhill.

4. Likes JustinW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually use a phone mount, but when I do, I use a Quad Lock. They're sleeker and more smartly designed (IMO) compared to other brands, yet they hold phones tenaciously.

6. Likes JustinW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use my phone and use apps that do all the tricks I need for my rides! My phone case is also a battery pack so itís a bit heavier than just a phone. I have top tube bags that hold my phone. In 8 years of dedicated cycling I have dropped my phone once while it was in my hand and once when I didnít realize it wasnít zipped up right. I like only having one device!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use a combined bag/phone holder. The phone goes inside behind a clear cover so it is protected from rain, and I can swipe the screen right through the plastic, though I had to cut a small hole for the fingerprint sensor. Also, I can't get to the power or volume buttons when it's in the bag - I use on-screen controls for volume. Having a small bag on the handlebars is really nice for small things like sunglasses, mask, sunscreen etc.

10. Likes CBGanimal, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as last two -- top tube bag that has a soft-plastic panel serving as the top face; phone slides in beneath that, in a dedicated elasticized compartment. The bag's compact main space is beneath that. As above, my latest iphone (an 8) now has the touch-sensitive home button -- that doesn't work, touching through the plastic. This particular bag would not hold a phone larger than an iphone8 -- it is a snug fit. I don't use any bike computer stuff on it -- mostly just music (through a bluetooth small speaker on handlebars) and the Apple Fitness app / Apple Watch, for my rides. (I set an automation on the watch that launches a playlist on shuffle each time I start a cycle workout in the app.)

12. Likes CBGanimal liked this post