Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious injury crash in Arlington July 28

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serious injury crash in Arlington July 28

From ArlNow (link)

BREAKING: Police Investigating Serious Bike Crash Near Yorktown HS

(Updated at 2:20 p.m.) A bicyclist has suffered potentially life-threatening injuries after a crash 2-3 blocks from Yorktown High School.
    The crash happened around 1 p.m. on the 2700 block of N. George Mason Drive, just south of Yorktown Blvd. Initial reports suggest the front wheel of the bike somehow came off and the cyclist flipped over the handlebars, suffering a possible head injury.
    The detached wheel could be seen next to the bike, which appeared to have a motor that powered it. A pool of blood was nearby, in the middle of the bike lane.
    The cyclist was rushed to a local trauma center for treatment. So far there are no reports of any vehicles being involved in the crash.
    “ACFD arrived on the scene of a single-bicycle crash in the 2700 block of N. George Mason Drive,” Arlington County Police Department spokeswoman Ashley Savage said. “The bicyclist was transported to an area hospital in critical condition. Police were dispatched to the area and remain on scene investigating the crash.”

It looks like the fork broke in half. There's a small gas-powered engine driving a belt. Seems like a jury rigged motorcycle more than a bicycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a mish mash of different parts on that bike. Wouldn't surprise me if some of those were already fatigued and not able to take the forces of what looks like a homebrew moped.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the rider recovers!

Looks like an older budget road bike with an OEM carbon fork. I'll don't ride carbon, but I'll take this as a reminder to check each of my forks before I ride them again. One doesn't need to strap a gasoline motor to a bicycle to get a fork failure.

Post Thanks / Like

On a robust old cruiser with the traditional slack geometry, that mod was dangerous enough. On a much lighter road bike, almost suicidal. There are also homemade e-bike conversions out there equally, um, daring.
    Last edited by Starduster; 08-01-2021 at 11:21 PM.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The cyclist survived and posted about it on Nextdoor:

https://nextdoor.com/p/-wjq7Z5dqwbB?utm_source=share&extras=NzU4MDgwNA%3D% 3D

Post Thanks / Like

I can't open this on any browser. What did said cyclist say?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    What did said cyclist say?
    "I am lucky to survive this crazy crisis during my life. Moral of the story, never ride a 2-stroke gas engine mounted onto a road frame that has a carbon fork, especially if it is an old bicycle that has ridden over rough terrain. Don’t ride a carbon fork in general and stay away from the C&O Canal a Towpath unless you’ve got a gravel bike. Motorized bicycles need to be confiscated more, they are very uncommon and mopeds aren’t that safe either since minors tend to ride on them too. I am a 25 year old man who just made a nearly deadly mistake of building this for fun, now I regret being so bold."

Post Thanks / Like

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t ride a carbon fork in general and stay away from the C&O Canal a Towpath unless you’ve got a gravel bike.

I've ridden the towpath on a regular hybrid bike - should I not do that? (or do they just mean don't ride a conventional drop bar road bike?)

I also own an aluminum frame drop bar road bike that has a carbon fork. Haven't ridden it on the towpath, and don't intend to, but ride it on our local streets regularly.

Am I doing something wrong? (Well aside from the things I already know I'm doing wrong, I mean, whatever)

Post Thanks / Like

Why use a 2 stroke engine when you can use a jet?