Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious injury crash in Arlington July 28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Don’t ride a carbon fork in general and stay away from the C&O Canal a Towpath unless you’ve got a gravel bike.

I've ridden the towpath on a regular hybrid bike - should I not do that? (or do they just mean don't ride a conventional drop bar road bike?)

I also own an aluminum frame drop bar road bike that has a carbon fork. Haven't ridden it on the towpath, and don't intend to, but ride it on our local streets regularly.

Am I doing something wrong? (Well aside from the things I already know I'm doing wrong, I mean, whatever)
    If you do all of these things without benefit of a 2-stroke motor bolted to your bikes, I think you should be fine, especially as I know you are not a Clydesdale.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Donít ride a carbon fork in general and stay away from the C&O Canal a Towpath unless youíve got a gravel bike.
    I rode from DC to Pittsburgh on the C&O and the GAP on my Fuji touring bike with 25mm road tires. All good. Fun, too.

3. Likes EasyRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I rode from DC to Pittsburgh on the C&O and the GAP on my Fuji touring bike with 25mm road tires. All good. Fun, too.
    25s, that's mental for that distance. I mean, can be done, sure, but doesn't seem worth the hassle dodging all the rocks and muck when 33s will go right over and through them.

5. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    25s, that's mental for that distance. I mean, can be done, sure, but doesn't seem worth the hassle dodging all the rocks and muck when 33s will go right over and through them.
    I think the same about 33s vs 38s If I had clearance for 48s I'd probably feel the same way about them.

7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I think the same about 33s vs 38s If I had clearance for 48s I'd probably feel the same way about them.
    Then you'd have a mountain bike.

I do find the 33s a bit squirrely in loose gravel, such as the brief downhill on the towpath just south of the beltway. I generally find that if I hold on loosely to the bars in those situations (allow a little play, but not too much), its usually okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve O is part billy goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Then you'd have a mountain bike.
    Current specialized diverge (for example) is spec'd to run up to 47mm in 700c or 53mm in 650b, and isn't exactly a mountain bike. Road bikes with decent tire clearance are getting a lot easier to find these days (they just like to call them "gravel" or "all road" or somesuch).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    If you do all of these things without benefit of a 2-stroke motor bolted to your bikes, I think you should be fine, especially as I know you are not a Clydesdale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Current specialized diverge (for example) is spec'd to run up to 47mm in 700c or 53mm in 650b, and isn't exactly a mountain bike. Road bikes with decent tire clearance are getting a lot easier to find these days (they just like to call them "gravel" or "all road" or somesuch).
    Correct, of course--I was being a bit facetious.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, of course--I was being a bit facetious.
    I mean, if we really want to make fun of overkill on the C&O, let's talk about the number of fat bikes popping up there these days...