Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How cycling changed during the pandemic - input for article

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm retired, COVID did not affect my "commuting" at all. Since we were stuck in a Manhattan high rise apartment for several months, cycling was an acceptable outlet and Central Park was one of the busiest places in NYC for several months. It was great to be able to ride the streets without thousands of cars. I had my highest annual mileage of my six year of retirement in 2020 and am on a good trajectory for 2021.

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The pandemic has mainly pushed me off of trails and onto roads. Pre-pandemic, I was a daily commuter on trails: W&OD, Custis, and MVT (and 4MRT on coffee day). As the shutdowns were starting, but before my office went 100% telework, I had already shifted my afternoon commutes to primarily a street route because the trails were so crowded. During the early heights of lockdown I did some riding on Strava Global Heatmap "cool zones" like Glebe road from Williamsburg Rd. to Shirlington Rd., and eventually settled on some loop routes that approximate my former commute miles. These are mostly on neighborhood streets with occasional segments on busier roads where necessary to make connections. Since I am doing one ride per day instead of 2, I can take advantage of better weather conditions, so mostly morning rides in the summer and more afternoon rides in the winter. The traffic remains light in the neighborhoods as things are opening up, so I find I am enjoying riding around in big circles more than going back and forth.

4. Likes Steve O, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-pandemic my commute was roads and only a few lightly trafficked trails (Pershing, Ft. Cass, Memorial Bridge, Independence, Maine, M SW), or Wilson corridor. Once my 4th grader went back in person we'd ride the Four Mile Run Trail to get him to school and I learned that most cyclists on the trail are jerks. There were subcategories with some fine and others really jerks, but mostly jerks. Time-trialists were bad, but the worst were new cyclists trying to ride like time-trialists. By the end of the school year my son didn't like riding the bike trail and it was a real challenge to keep him at it.