Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The strange psychological phenomenon that explains why people hate cyclists

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImaCynic View Post
    Stop signs? Yield signs? Traffic lights?

No. This is how it should be done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjP5IL56Yc
    Obligatory google search tells me that that intersection is responsible for 8% of all traffic incidents within Addis Ababa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Obligatory google search tells me that that intersection is responsible for 8% of all traffic incidents within Addis Ababa.
    I'm surprised that it's only 8%. Can only imagine what that number will look like if that same intersection existed here.

This is a good example of situational awareness and without being entitled, or perhaps what "share the road" should look like.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop signs? Yield signs? Traffic lights?

No. This is how it should be done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjP5IL56Yc
    My god, pedestrians cross that.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    I'm surprised that it's only 8%. Can only imagine what that number will look like if that same intersection existed here.

This is a good example of having acute situational awareness and devoid of any road entitlement, or perhaps the concept of "share the road" should really look like.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised that it's only 8%.
    There are probably also other intersections in Addis Ababa without signals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    There are probably also other intersections in Addis Ababa without signals.
    I believe this is one of the biggest and busiest there, so I suspect what's shown is the norm there.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should qualify my previous statement with "when there are others". If there is no RoW decision involved, who cares?
    because in my experience when drivers roll stops like that it's because they plan to just keep going. so they only look to the left to see if there's an oncoming car and never stop to check whether there's someone approaching from the other side. if they actually intended to take the time to look, they'd have plenty of time to stop. when cyclists do the same thing you'll typically see their head swivel all around, and the slowing and looking phase lasts longer than the brief pause of the equivalent driver. go ahead and sit at a busy intersection and watch the phenomenon.

9. Likes Steve O, ursus liked this post