Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default January 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

Starting the new thread because...January.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ELITE Henry ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwarkentien View Post
    Starting the new thread because...January.

Just in case anyone is interested the road to, “El Escorial” a monastery at the north end of Madrid, is rideable most of the way. Once you get into the town it got dicey with slush and ice. My gravel bike did good!Name:  IMG_0455.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  2.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0456.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  1.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Rode up the northwest branch trail two days ago and there had been flooding from the recent rainfall causing a lot of sand and soil to be left on the trail surface. Some of the underpasses were so thick in soft dirt that we had to walk our bikes.

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that the trail detours are finally at an end, on Monday I followed the "official" route of the W&OD for the first time in what seems like years. I noticed missing directional signage at 19th St. N and Tuckahoe on the W&OD. Unless you're familiar with the area, it could be confusing. There is no signage directing riders through this intersection.

7. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Temporary realigning of W&OD Trail at Idylwood (starting this Thursday 1/14)

Work was underway when I rode down from Idylwood today. It looks like the temporary trail will be on I-66, separated by a jersey barrier and chain link fence.

VDOT to Realign W&OD Trail at Idylwood for Five Months
    "The Washington & Old Dominion Trail (W&OD Trail) near Idylwood Park (between Virginia Lane and the trail bridge over I-495) in Falls Church will be realigned slightly to the south of the current trail for approximately five months beginning on or about Thursday, January 14, through June 2021.

The trail is being shifted temporarily while crews construct the new, permanent trail alignment to accommodate new ramps as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Crews will also construct a retaining wall to support the widening of the ramp from I-66 West to I-495 South during this period. ..."

9. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The pedestrian/bike bridge crossing Rock Creek Parkway in front of the Kennedy Center was closed this morning with orange plastic fencing. Presumably the surface is too slippery in the freezing temperature this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Default January 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

There’s some persistent ice spots in the Mount Vernon Trail any time the temperature approaches freezing. There are 2 big ones just south of Memorial Bridge. There is also one just north of Memorial Bridge.

The Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail were able to fix 3 places with standing water and ice sheets this month. We are continuing work in January to try to fix the rest as much as possible. There’s a significant water seep south of Memorial Bridge that keeps the trail surface constantly wet.

If you’d like to help visit mountvernontrail.eventbrite.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    The pedestrian/bike bridge crossing Rock Creek Parkway in front of the Kennedy Center was closed this morning with orange plastic fencing. Presumably the surface is too slippery in the freezing temperature this morning.
    It's been closed the last few time I've ridden by.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the best way to bike from NW DC to the MVT with the current closures downtown? Wife is going tomorrow morning. Usually we do 14th St but not sure how passable that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    What's the best way to bike from NW DC to the MVT with the current closures downtown? Wife is going tomorrow morning. Usually we do 14th St but not sure how passable that is.
    14th Street may be open (guidance seems a bit spotty). Coming off the bridge you can't go north on 15th - fencing at Independence. I made it to E on 7th SW yesterday coming up from the Wharf.

Key Bridge appears to be open. Grab the MVT from there. Might be easier to head west to Georgetown.