Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Cyclist hit on W&OD (mm 7.5) while crossing Shreve Road on 12/31/20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist hit on W&OD (mm 7.5) while crossing Shreve Road on 12/31/20

I happened upon a downed cyclist in the late afternoon of Dec 31st as I was headed westbound on the W&OD trail by the Poplar Heights Tennis Courts. The cyclist had been hit by a motorist while in the crosswalk heading eastbound. Motorist had already called 911 by the time I got there, and was exchanging info w/ the cyclist, who was talking, sitting upright on the ground. I checked for broken bones, blood and coherence, and then got his mangled bike off the trail for a quick damage assessment (AL frame bent, twisted RD hanger, wobbly rear wheel). Cyclist had already communicated with his wife, who was on the way to check on him & retrieve the bike. Once the paramedics arrived, I departed since I was not an eye witness to the incident. Fairfax County has yet to issue a report, but may do so in their next weekly bulletin (at which point I will update this post)

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-02-2021 at 12:56 PM.

2. Likes Nadine, VikingMariner, Mtansill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist hit on W&OD (mm 7.5) while crossing Shreve Road on 12/31/20

I hate this trail/road crossing/intersection. Back in October Fairfax PD reported a teen being hit and seriously injured here. Really annoying when cars on Shreve come around the corner, see you beginning to cross, and gun it just to give you a little scare. There is a VDOT study working to address speed on Shreve & improving this crossing. Hope the cyclist is okay. Bike looks like toast. Found the link:

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/.../shreve_rd.asp
    Last edited by SarahBee; 01-03-2021 at 05:49 PM.

4. Likes josh, VikingMariner, smb9600, Boomer2U liked this post