Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: HELP! Moving to town: avid commuter (365, rain, sleet or snow)... where to live?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, right, bus connections. Look into the 3Y. It doesn't run often, and only during rush hour, but it runs down Lee Hwy (I think from Lee Heights) to DC (I think Farragut Square). So it's a few blocks away from you on either end, but otherwise a straight shot, and a good non-bike option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    "The 29"... can tell you're from Cali, no one talks like that here. The feedback you've already gotten is good but I have an unrelated question - how do you like that Novara 29er? My buddy is planning on buying one with his dividend/20% coupon this year.
    Sorry for my very late reply, as the 20% coupon already ended. However, I was one of the 8 reviewers on the actual REI website for the 2012 Ponderosa 29er. I do love this bike. I have it pretty frankenstein'd, as I have Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" slicks on it and a rack. I even have clip-on aero bars on it so that I can emulate my road bike position when I am on my commute. The remote lock-out on the front fork is awesome. The stock saddle sucked. The rear derailleur was also a bad one in my opinion (I swapped it out for an XT.) I swapped the cranks out to 170mm for my knee. If he's gonna use it for commuting, its awesome. For single-track, excellent. For anything with hits over 3 feet, I'd recommend a soft-tail. Here's a couple better looks at it: http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/y...view=slideshow

Again, thank you to everyone for the information. We'll definitely be checking out the food scene in Falls Church (my wife is Italian, so a legit cannoli is worth a check.)

Insofar as the "Arlington Bias"... it's all good. But, I got a better deal on the Alexandria property, and the open greenspace that connects to our fenced yard is pretty awesome for the little one. I also look forward to riding up the Potomac as my commute rather than Custis (I've now ridden both.)

Here's a link to my first ride in the D.C. area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqOU-oWtOc

Compared to California, everything is so close. I have to drive 48 miles to get to a Trader Joes from where I currently live.

Here's where I ended up: 3751 Keller Ave. in Alexandria off of Kings St. just southeast of the 395. So, I'll have an urban commute up the 4-mile-run Trail, then over and up the MVT.

I spent a week, and finally took a day off to rent/ride the area properly (as seen in the video).

See you all out there on the trails! You've seen my "Absurd Commuter" as I call it... and on the road... I ride a carbon Giant TCR: http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...FullyBuilt.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, we'll be neighbors then! Once I get a working bike I can wobble along slowly in your dust as we commute

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on pins and needles. Where'd you end up?

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclingeconomist View Post
    in Alexandria off of Kings St. just southeast of the 395. So, I'll have an urban commute up the 4-mile-run Trail, then over and up the MVT.
    Glad you found a place you like! This is a great area to ride in, welcome!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! And it looks like you have a neighbor on this thread.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's where I ended up: 3751 Keller Ave. in Alexandria off of Kings St. just southeast of the 395. So, I'll have an urban commute up the 4-mile-run Trail, then over and up the MVT.
    That's just a short hill climb to the W&OD Trail (Four Mile Run), which takes you 45+ miles out west, into farm country and almost to West Virginia. Enjoy.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple better looks at it: http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/y...view=slideshow . . . "Absurd Commuter"
    That thing is definitely absurd. And awesome.