Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAFS2021 Strava club is super popular

Post Thanks / Like

Default BAFS2021 Strava club is super popular

So, I am certain there are not 556 riders this year...

But, the club page shows that many members. Knowing that some folks join every public club they can find on Strava, I guess to mine kudos (because they may be convertible to bitcoin at some point), it seems we have about 300 more members than we have actual registered participants. I point this out because it has "spammed" the club page with some phenomenal athletes weekly achievements, but it hides a lot of the participants.

Is this something that can be resolved? Or do we just live with it? I'm fine either way, just asking for curiosity's sake.

2. Likes rcannon100, AlanA, Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dachs6 View Post
    So, I am certain there are not 556 riders this year...

But, the club page shows that many members. Knowing that some folks join every public club they can find on Strava, I guess to mine kudos (because they may be convertible to bitcoin at some point), it seems we have about 300 more members than we have actual registered participants. I point this out because it has "spammed" the club page with some phenomenal athletes weekly achievements, but it hides a lot of the participants.

Is this something that can be resolved? Or do we just live with it? I'm fine either way, just asking for curiosity's sake.
    I've quit all the other clubs I joined for that reason. There were all these crazy riders posting a lot of nonsense. Some are legit, but others are bogus indoor and spinning miles. And now that I am forced to join this club (in order to play along), I just won't even bother looking at the club. I already made my one wise ass post, and that's enough for me.

Haha, I often wondered about those kudo seekers. I never imagined that they could be traded in for cash!!

Post Thanks / Like

I asked this last year, too! I'm finding Strava clubs are becoming equivalent to searching on Amazon: you get hit with so many irrelevant finds that it's becoming useless.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/s...copyright.html
    GA

5. Likes Dachs6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a common question. The answer is, the Freezing Saddles Strava club is not a club in any conventional sense. It is used purely to make the back end work--and the back end works beautifully.

To see actual Freezing Saddles individual standings, you go to https://freezingsaddles.org/people/, not the Strava club The real page--the freezingsaddles.org one--shows only the people actually playing, not the Brazilians who automatically join every club.

The Strava club is necessary to populate the real page. But the way it does is that to appear on the real page, you have to have BOTH joined the Strava club AND gone to https://freezingsaddles.org/authorize to authorize Freezing Saddles to read your miles. The Brazilians won't do the second step, so they never show up on the real page.

7. Likes jrenaut, Dachs6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearly the back end works great, and I understand why the Strava club is there...and that the "official" leaderboard is the page you linked. I have just noticed that in the last few years there are strata athletes from all over (usually BRICs, without the R) that join hundreds of clubs, and then fill the club leaderboards with epic rides, that are either fake or an attempt to get a pro contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    I never imagined that they could be traded in for cash!!
    Not cash, bitcoin....I'm starting the rumor.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the competition is over, may I leave this club?

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the competition is over, may I leave this club?
    No, your points will be retroactively deleted if you EVER leave the club. You also have to like at least one ride per day from compulsive club-joiners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    No, your points will be retroactively deleted if you EVER leave the club. You also have to like at least one ride per day from compulsive club-joiners.
    Methinks you are puling my leg!!

Post Thanks / Like

Methinks you are puling my leg!!
    I would never do such a thing, you're thinking of Judd

14. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post