Likes Likes:  230
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FS2021 Pointless Prize: STEM

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS2021 Pointless Prize: STEM

FS2021 Pointless Prize: STEM

Ride your bike, at least a mile, to any site that can be considered related to Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) and take a picture with your bike.

1) submissions must occur during FS2021
    2) hashtag your Strava ride title with #STEM
    3) photos must be your own and include your bike.
    4) photos must be posted to the “FS2021 Pointless Prize: STEM” forum thread. Post should describe why it is STEM-related.
    5) Please, only one (1) entry per day.

There are two non-pointless prizes:

For for greatest number of entries, a copy of BikeSnobNYC's book "Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling".

For the best photo entry, subjectively selected by the judge, a set of four bicycle-printed short tumbler glasses (3.5 inch tall, 8 ounce).
    * Please note: The judge is known to be partial to uniqueness, creativity, composition, and mathematics.
    Last edited by bikesnick; 01-01-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

At the Einstein Memorial outside the National Academy of Sciences:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210103_103506.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	22008

It's hard to see in the photo, but one neat thing about the memorial is that the circular base is a star map, with more than 2700 studs representing celestial bodies as they were positioned on the day of the memorial's dedication.

3. Likes JoM, Judd, CBGanimal, bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	F77C1D86-67FF-4903-A03C-7FAEAE6ECE2B.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	22021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F77C1D86-67FF-4903-A03C-7FAEAE6ECE2B.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	22021

I actually saw some drones flying by this company near the Spanish Military base. I was a bit nervous taking the picture in case they didn’t like some random cyclist taking pictures outside of their gates.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Likes bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The University of Maryland Division of Information Technology moved to the Discovery District (off campus) to consolidate all IT related operations in a new state of the art facility.

7. Likes bikesnick, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Met my cousin for coffee...she works at IBM as an accountant (i think)
    But across the street there was this company...not quiet sure what they do...but found the name a bit interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#STEM

NovaLabs in Reston is the largest maker space in the area. It's also completely self-funded by members and sponsors - no government money. And it's non-profit. The result is a community of passionate, encouraging, inclusive individuals who teach, guide, share, and support all kinds of technology ventures. Everything from 3D printers to textiles to robotics to CNC and laser cutters to wood working to costumes and more. NovaLabs is the home of TeamRhinoHawk, a competitive drone team that brings all kinds of expertise together to solve real world problems.

They're the founders of MakerFaireNova, now produced in conjunction with George Mason University.

While NovaLabs has always been extremely supportive to homeschool families, in the fall of 2020, they launched a school alternative for families wanting to have their kids in some kind of physical school with a focus on STEM.

The best news for interested cyclists from outside Reston is that it's just off the W&OD, and a short ride from the Wiehle-Reston Silver Line Station.

I'm having trouble getting photos upright, so apologies in advance if this is sideways. :-) It's probably a reflection of my tech ineptitude. Yesterday, they posted just fine. sigh

Name:	File_005.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	22081

11. Likes CBGanimal, bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another ride to the Einstein statue in front of the National Academy of Sciences. I didn't realize that one of the founders is Lincoln in order to provide scientific advice to the government. In pre-pandemic times they would often host interesting talks to the public. A little bit like a TED talk!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bikedavid; 01-06-2021 at 09:19 PM.

13. Likes bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

National Air & Space Museum, documenting the history of flight from the Wright brothers to the space shuttle.

15. Likes bikesnick, CBGanimal, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikedavid View Post
    National Air & Space Museum, documenting the history of flight from the Wright brothers to the space shuttle.

I just listened to a podcast on the Wright brothers! Did you know they 1st owned a bike shop in Ohio? Cool fun fact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes bikesnick, JoM, bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A shop that works on computers and other tech stuff...not sure I’d ever use one since buying a new tech thing is usually cheaper than getting it fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes bikesnick, JoM, bikedavid liked this post