Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: BAFS2021 Team #26

Post Thanks / Like

Default BAFS2021 Team #26

Hi Team #26,

Here's our place to connect on the FS2021 forum! Happy riding!

Join our Strava team here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/bafs2021team26

We will get our team assignments on January 7 at the Zoom happy hour. After that, you'll need to join our Strava team and we will need to brainstorm a team name.

Let's Earn Points for our Team!
    This is my second year riding in Freezing Saddles. Last year I rode through the winter for the first time. I didn't think I could do it so I signed up late for Freezing Saddles and got assigned to the Island of Misfit Toys team. We were off to a slow start since we weren't motivated by team points until Jan. 15 and had fallen nearly hopelessly behind. We barely pulled through to next-to-last place by luck and tons of really long rides. Yikes! This year I made sure to sign up on time! And I'm trying to figure out how to get my butt out the door for some of these "sleaze" rides.

I'd encourage you to ride as frequently as you're comfortable with to earn points for our team. The first 1 mile of the day gets you 20 points! If you do 9 miles, you get 64 points. If you try to catch up those missed points later by doing a longer ride, you'd have to ride 64 miles instead of 9 miles. Check it out:

2021 Rules:
    1) Scoring: Same as last year, with the points heavily weighted to the early miles of each ride.
    • 10 points for each day of 1 mile+
    • Additional mileage points as follows: Mile 1=10 points; Mile 2=9 pts; Mile 3=8 pts, etc. Miles 10 and over = 1 pt each.
    • Like in 2020, there is no weekly point cap or distinction between individual and team points. Ride your hearts out.

Cheat Sheet for the Mathematically Challenged
    Miles = Points
    1 = 20
    2 = 29
    3 = 37
    4 = 44
    5 = 50
    6 = 55
    7 = 59
    8 = 62
    9 = 64
    10 = 65
    11 = 66
    12 = 67
    13 = 68
    14 = 69
    15 = 70
    16 = 71
    17 = 72
    18 = 73
    19 = 74
    20 = 75
    Etc.

And don't forget to have fun with the reindeer games!
    I'd encourage you to check out the Pointless Prizes. They can be a fun way to learn more about our region including history, geography, and the arts. I'm sponsoring a Civil War History prize, and I'm also excited to learn about the New Deal projects with that prize. I've been scouting out public art for the Public Art Finder but I haven't researched any lakes for the Lake Finder. If you like finding secret bike paths, check out the Wormhole prize.

A little about me
    I live in Takoma Park, Maryland, and I'm a recreational rider. I mainly ride with Babes on Bikes, a group of women cyclists who ride bikes during the days on weekdays in the DC Metro Area. It's free to join--hint, hint! This year I rode 8500 miles with 425,000 ft of elevation gain, my best year of riding yet--there are some good things to come from having a lighter work schedule due to Covid. I'm between a C+ and B rider depending on the day. I'm happy to lead some group rides on weekdays during the day. Most weekends I'm working so I can't lead then.

I'm excited to play again in Freezing Saddles and see you January 7 at the Zoom happy hour!

Team Leader,
    Elizabeth Taylor
    Last edited by BicycleBeth; 12-31-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added Strava team info and introduction to FS2021

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, teammates! It was great to see BicycleBeth and steph<3bikes at the happy hour, and I hope to meet the rest of you virtually soon. I live in Alexandria and am a transportation rider: I went car-free last year and rely on my bike to get around. This is my seventh Freezing Saddles, which I guess makes me one of the old fogeys. The fact that I'm working from home and no longer bike commuting will mean fewer miles for me than previous years, but I'll try to at least make it out for my ten miles each day.

3. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to meet you tonight! I've sent an email to all of you with our team assignments. We need to brainstorm a team name and I need you all to join our Strava group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BicycleBeth View Post
    Great to meet you tonight! I've sent an email to all of you with our team assignments. We need to brainstorm a team name and I need you all to join our Strava group.
    Hiya Civil War buff. Team #26 could have something to do with Rt. 26 (Liberty Rd) in MD. A major route between Frederick and Baltimore during the Civil War.

Haha, and you will probably be seeing a few posts from me with this road in it!!

Good luck to your team.

6. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    Hiya Civil War buff. Team #26 could have something to do with Rt. 26 (Liberty Rd) in MD. A major route between Frederick and Baltimore during the Civil War.

Haha, and you will probably be seeing a few posts from me with this road in it!!

Good luck to your team.
    Thank you, Alan! I appreciate your support and positive spirit. And I love the way you can tell a story! ��