Likes Likes:  228
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless prize: Quaxapalooza

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless prize: Quaxapalooza

POINTLESS PRIZE: QUAXAPALOOZA

As the wife of a local small business owner (Maryland Meadworks), I am sponsoring a pointless prize to encourage supporting your local small businesses on your bikes (aka Quaxing).

Leaderboard: https://freezingsaddles.org/pointles...FS2021SmallBiz

How to play:

1. Go for a Quax -- support a local small business by buying something (any amount) and picking it up via bike. One point per business, and yes, you can do more than one per day, but need to log separate Strava rides to each stop. You only get one point per distinct local biz (so yes, you can come 100 times to Maryland Meadworks, as well you should, but you will only get 1 point for the first visit...)

2. Take a picture of you (wearing a mask), your bike, and your purchase (or if it was a service, perhaps the signage or some such that represents that service) outside as many different small businesses as possible.

3. For your ride to count, use #BAFS2021SmallBiz in your Strava ride title AND include the name of the place you visited, e.g., #BAFS2021SmallBiz Maryland Meadworks (shameless plug, right?) And upload the related photo to the same ride. Mileage does not count unless theres a tie. The points are solely based on the number of unique establishments you support, one per recorded ride (but no limit to how many rides / points you can rack up in a single day).

4. Please play safely: For example, picking up your takeout / growlers (of mead, or even things... that are not mead) curbside (on your bike!)! Again, please take your selfie OUTSIDE the establishment, masked, to set a good example for how COVID-safe cyclists are!

5. What constitutes a local small business? I'll give broad leeway on this. Frankly most every business (esp restaurants) is in such pain right now, I'm likely to give a lot of slack. I just want you to go out for a ride, stimulate the economy and help keep your neighbors employed. And yes, I'll allow you to more than one of a local chain if you differentiate the tags -- i.e. "#BAFS2021SmallBiz Vigilante Hyattsville" AND "#BAFS2021SmallBiz Vigilante College Park" would each count for a point.

6. Prizes? I'll buy the top 3 winners a giftcard ($75, $50, $25) to their favorite local business. (Even if it's not Maryland Meadworks!)
    Last edited by rumipumi; 01-04-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Helloooo! So of course I visited one of my favorite small businesses today and got one of their awesome chais - Proteus Brews! Yes, a small coffee shop has opened in Proteus Bicycles in College Park, MD. I'm a huge fan of the custom-made chai (and the custom-made hot chocolate, and the tea lattes, and the pastries...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProteusBrews.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	21947

3. Likes Nadine, rumipumi, KevneH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pleasure to run into you at one of my first small businesses that will be posted.

5. Likes rumipumi liked this post
  6. 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, who doesn't like Proteus chai to warm up on a cold morning? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210103_145706699 sm.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	22001

8. Likes rumipumi, Mtansill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coffee break at Vigilante Coffee in Hyattsville. Anyone remember when there weren't enough bike racks for all of our bikes? Missing our group rides.

10. Likes rumipumi, Mtansill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this pic quality w/ rule 2 which requires 5 elements of cyclist, wearing mask, bike, purchase/service, AND name of small biz? Asking for a friend who is photo-compositionally challenged by this rule

Firehook Bakery, Alexandria VA

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-03-2021 at 05:43 PM.

12. Likes rumipumi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Does this pic quality w/ rule 2 which requires 5 elements of cyclist, wearing mask, bike, purchase/service, AND name of small biz? Asking for a friend who is photo-compositionally challenged by this rule

Firehook Bakery, Alexandria VA

It does (and im not as much of a hardarse as ricky/drevil lol!

14. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Does this pic quality w/ rule 2 which requires 5 elements of cyclist, wearing mask, bike, purchase/service, AND name of small biz?
    Hey boomer whats your strava name? Not seeing you on the leaderboard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

16. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumipumi View Post
    Hey boomer whats your strava name? Not seeing you on the leaderboard
    Is the hashtag #BAFS2021SmallBiz or just #smallbiz? I thought I read a post (but now I can't find it) that said you didn't need to use BAFS2021.... Asking for a friend!

18. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoM View Post
    Is the hashtag #BAFS2021SmallBiz or just #smallbiz? I thought I read a post (but now I can't find it) that said you didn't need to use BAFS2021.... Asking for a friend!
    Oops!

20. Likes rumipumi liked this post