Default 2/25/21 - Duck

2/25/21 - Duck

Duck Boat! Stay off in thunderstorms.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes CaseyKane50, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Likeness of a duck

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    2/25/21 - Duck (likeness of animal or the word)

On February 25, 1970, "Rubber Duckie" premiered on Sesame Street when Ernie sang the song while taking a bath. Fun fact:
    "The segment was so popular that the song was issued as a single with the show's theme song as the flip side. In September, it peaked at #16 on the Hot 100, and on November 16, it once again appeared on Sesame Street, this time in a Season 2 segment again with Ernie performing the song."

On your ride, capture a likeness of a duck, whether it be an actual duck, an image, or made of rubber. Caveat is that it can't be your own duck.

Happy hunting!

2/25/21 Clinton, MD "likeness a duck"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bird.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	24509

4. Likes Nadine, karenbikes2, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default likeness of a duck

2/25/21 - Duck (likeness of animal or the word)

On February 25, 1970, "Rubber Duckie" premiered on Sesame Street when Ernie sang the song while taking a bath. Fun fact:
    "The segment was so popular that the song was issued as a single with the show's theme song as the flip side. In September, it peaked at #16 on the Hot 100, and on November 16, it once again appeared on Sesame Street, this time in a Season 2 segment again with Ernie performing the song."

On your ride, capture a likeness of a duck, whether it be an actual duck, an image, or made of rubber. Caveat is that it can't be your own duck.

Happy hunting!

2/25/21/ "likeness of a duck"

Name:	Birdbath.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	24512

6. Likes karenbikes2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2/25 - Duck (ride completed on 2/25)
    I stopped by one of our favorite local Chinese restaurants that was delivering before it was cool (I.E. COVID-19) called Duk Wo. The spelling is funky but the duck is delicious. The kids loved to come here (in the before times) to watch the sushi chefs work, sometimes they even got a special treat from them just because they were cute and loved the sushi so much!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2/26/21 - Acronym or Initialism (3 letters or more)
    This one is a twofer: BCCRS (Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad) and CFC (Combined Federal Campaign).

I started out thinking I was going to Keep It Simple Stupid, with a picture of a Kiss & Ride sign. But on the way home, I kept finding more acronyms and initialisms everywhere. There were:

• HSBC=Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.
    • AZNA=Aziz & Naid. (The website of AZNA Salon says this is the derivation.)
    • NTB=National Tire & Battery.
    • PDG=Prestipino Dental Group (What this one stood for was right on the same sign.)
    • SAT=Scholastic Aptitude Test and ACT=American College Testing. (There was an SAT and ACT prep sign.)
    • NIH=National Institutes of Health sign that mentioned COVID-19=COronaVIrus Disease 2019.

I thought about going to the B-CC YMCA=Bethesda-Chevy Chase Young Men's Christian Association, but decided that was really overkill.

Ultimately, I decided to go with the sign that had both the longest initialism and a second initialism.

Name:	BCCRS.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	24513
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 02-26-2021 at 03:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

2/26 Acronym or initialism

RFP = Request For Proposal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2/26/2021 -- acronym or initialism. In urbanist circles, opponents of development are often labeled as NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) or CAVEs (Citizen Against Virtually Everything). But the acronym that amuses me the most is BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone).

Name:	20210226_073440.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	24514

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    2/26/2021 -- acronym or initialism. In urbanist circles, opponents of development are often labeled as NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) or CAVEs (Citizen Against Virtually Everything). But the acronym that amuses me the most is BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone).

Name:	20210226_073440.jpg 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	24514
    Love that! Of course, there are the MAMIL's out there (middle age male in lycra) but I've not seen one actually wearing the acronym, just bearing it. :-)

12. Likes karenbikes2, rumipumi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On February 26, 1935, Watson-Watt demonstrates the feasibility of RADAR - RAdio Detection And Ranging - to the British Air Ministry. This got me to thinking that there are acronyms everywhere, especially when you count hidden ones.

I have ridden by this road with actual RADAR in the background that I just had to go with it...not to mention a Watson was involved so it has to be good!!!

Radar (RAdio Detection And Ranging)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that playing to drevil's true passions will yield an extra point or two-- here's KIMBAll Street.

Name:	kimball.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	24516

IMBA is the International Mountain Bicycling Association, and is focused on trail access. MORE (the Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts) is the local (for most of you all) chapter, and I'm sure many of you have ridden on some of the trails that MORE has built -- Lake Fairfax, Fountainhead, the Shed, Patapsco, Fort Dupont, etc.
    Last edited by josh; 02-26-2021 at 08:47 AM. Reason: More (no pun intended) bolding