Likes Likes:  13,559
Dislikes Dislikes:  31
ELITE ELITE:  40
Page 69 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

Post Thanks / Like

1/18/21 - #publicartfinder featuring (or by) a BIPOC

The Spirit of Freedom statue is the center of the African American Civil War Memorial,
    which commemorates the service of 209,145 African-American soldiers and about 7,000 white and 2,145 Hispanic soldiers, together with the approximate 20,000 unsegregated Navy sailors, who fought for the Union in the American Civil War, mostly among the 175 regiments of United States Colored Troops.
    The statue is the work of Edward Norton Hamilton, Jr.

Last edited by DCAKen; 01-18-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more information

Post Thanks / Like

1/18 public art by or featuring BIPOC

This one is personal for me. My daughter, Harper Carter Matsuyama, designed this traffic box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Public art featuring OR BY a BIPOC

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

Let's celebrate diversity on Martin Luther King Jr Day by taking a pic on your ride of public art that either features or is by a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People Of Color). It'd be nice if you could let us know the location, and if possible, the artist.
    1/18/21 - I may not get any points for this but the US Capitol is one of my favorite buildings in DC. This week, most of the pictures we've seen of the Capitol depict what looks like a foreign embassy in a war torn country. On my way back home today, after taking pictures of several murals, I noticed the Capitol up ahead. From my vantage point (New Jersey Av & N St NW), she appeared as majestic as ever.

So, how does this fit today's photo requirement?
    In case you didn't know, many of the laborers that worked on the Capitol were not only African Americans, they were enslaved. The most renown slave laborer, to work on the Capitol, was Philip Reid. He cast the "Statue of Freedom", the Capitol's crowning feature, which stands atop the Capitol dome. That my friends is indeed public art, created by an enslaved black laborer/artist.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

1/18/2021- #to publicartfinder featuring (or by) a BIPOC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5B0023A-E7A0-476C-9D49-16BA8AC4301D.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	22944

Wrought, Knit, Labors, Legacies 2020 by Olalekan Jeyifous
    Currently located next to the Oswald Durant Center, 1605 Cameron Street

From the sign at the installation.

Olalekan Jeyifous’ installation frames Alexandria’s African American history through the lens of the city’s merchant and manufacturing industries of the 17th to 20th centuries. Once a prosperous port city that was also home to one of the largest domestic slave-trading operations in the country, Alexandria was a major center for shipping and manufacturing with an economy that was inextricably tied to the labor of enslaved and free African Americans. The artworks sculptural seating platforms interweave symbols of the city’s wealth and commerce.

The City of Alexandria commissioned Jeyifous for the 2020 installment of Site See: New Views in Old Town temporary public art series, which spotlights Waterfront Park as a civic space at the end of King Street. The original installation featured a ground mural that echoed African American quilting and textile traditions.

The installation moved to this new location as part of a temporary loan from the artist. This site was selected because of it’s proximity to Freedom House, the inspiration for the artwork. It is also located in the historic Parker-Grey neighborhood. Just as the original configuration, the four figures face East, towards the Potomac River and beyond.

5. Likes komorebi, CBGanimal, SusanG1693, HokieBeth, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew pretty quickly that I wanted to help highlight a mural that often gets missed by bicyclists, but is significant to Lakeland, College Park's historic Black community that has recently been the subject of reparation talks. If you have ever ridden around Lake Artemesia, you have ridden through parts that were historically part of Lakeland, but no more. Take the Paint Branch Trail from the Trolley Trail. When you pass underneath Route 1 there is a mural on your right that is easy to miss because it's often dark and you are going fast having just gone down the hill to get under the road. It is a 40-foot long mural that was created using old photos from Lakeland's archives, featuring previous residents and different locations. More details, including information on the local artists, can be found out here: https://collegeparkpartnership.org/p...chbridgemural/

Here is just one section of the mural.

Name:	BIPOC.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	22948

About the gentleman on the right: World War II veteran, Dervey A. Lomax grew up and lived his adult life in Lakeland. His family home stood within the site of what is now Lake Artemesia Natural Site. After serving several terms as a member of the College Park City Council, Mr. Lomax was elected mayor of College Park in 1973. He was re elected to city council and served for a total of 28 years. In addition to his work with the City, Mr. Lomax served on various citizens groups including the Prince George’s County Human Relations Commission.

Post Thanks / Like

1//18/21 - public art by or featuring a BIPOC

The Family, by Winnie Owens-Hart in Hall’s Hill in Arlington, VA

Name:	0C55994A-8759-42E2-9DA4-136E05AF6AA2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	22953

8. Likes bikesnick, komorebi, SusanG1693, JoM, Catedrew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1/18/2021 public art featuring BIPOC

Let's celebrate diversity on Martin Luther King Jr Day by taking a pic on your ride of public art that either features or is by a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People Of Color). It'd be nice if you could let us know the location, and if possible, the artist.

Optionally, post it into Boomer's #publicartfinder pointless prize as well

Happy hunting!

I thought that it was only fitting to post a mural of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr for his day. This mural can be found on the corner of Good Hope Rd and Martin Luther King Jr Ave, SE.

Name:	MLK Mural.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	22958

Post Thanks / Like

Default "The Family"

1/18/2021
    "The Family" by Winnie Owens-Hart in Arlington, VA.
    She is a native of the area and a Professor emeritus at Howard University.

Name:	TheFamily.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	22960

11. Likes komorebi, Boomer2U, SusanG1693, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Frederick Douglas statue located on Hornbake Mall at the University of Maryland. Go Terps!

13. Likes komorebi, CBGanimal, SusanG1693, Nadine, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

1/18/21-MLK Day, Carter B. Woodson Museum, Black Lives Matter painting. Originally I posted a publicly displayed sign of a historical figure but it wasn’t really art per se. So I’m updating my submission to show the wonderful mural by St. Pete artists who were inspired by the DC BLM Plaza to paint their own street mural. Each letter is designed by a local artist. It’s worth looking up the full picture which I couldn’t really capture. P.S. The museum sells good trouble water bottles if anyone needs one

Last edited by Hannah Lili; 01-18-2021 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Change submission.

15. Likes komorebi, SusanG1693, LisaE, JoM, Catedrew liked this post