Likes Likes:  13,559
Dislikes Dislikes:  31
ELITE ELITE:  40
Page 54 of 306 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    I'll never be first, since I rarely wake up before 9 am! But I'll still play along.

Some of the folks on here don't seem to sleep!!

And a few years from now, this post might have a different name.
    Don't worry Alan, I'm with you! The people who embrace the "freezing" part of freezing saddles are the ones who ride early early. It's just a game, with pointless prizes and those of us who ride in daylight (indeed wait to ride until it's warmer) are still getting out to enjoy the day on a bike. That in itself is a WIN. I also think that back in the day when lots of people commuted by bike in the pre-dawn hours, bonus points for finding something first were a nice way to encourage them to keep it up! I'm grateful I don't have to commute in the bitter cold!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    Did you find a museum actually open? One of my favorite artifacts at Mount Vernon is the key to the Bastille that Lafayette gifted to George Washington. They were both true statesmen. Flawed humans of course, but I think we all fall into that category. Thanks for this photo!
    Nope, not a museum -- this photo was taken at the "A Place Through Time" timeline-plaque thingy that is at the southeast corner of the Torpedo Factory Art Center. See details here. "Celebration" actually appears three times on the plaque, but the Lafayette one seemed the most appropriate for today's game.
    Last edited by komorebi; 01-14-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: east is east, and west is west, and never the twain shall meet

3. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    Don't worry Alan, I'm with you! The people who embrace the "freezing" part of freezing saddles are the ones who ride early early. It's just a game, with pointless prizes and those of us who ride in daylight (indeed wait to ride until it's warmer) are still getting out to enjoy the day on a bike. That in itself is a WIN. I also think that back in the day when lots of people commuted by bike in the pre-dawn hours, bonus points for finding something first were a nice way to encourage them to keep it up! I'm grateful I don't have to commute in the bitter cold!
    In this game I don't believe there's a bonus for being first. As long as your picture is posted on the correct day, it counts just as much as everyone else's. If it's awesome, and a lot of people like it, it earns more. So go for awesomeness rather than alacrity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    In this game I don't believe there's a bonus for being first. As long as your picture is posted on the correct day, it counts just as much as everyone else's. If it's awesome, and a lot of people like it, it earns more. So go for awesomeness rather than alacrity.
    Yesterday and today's tasks have had a 5 point bonus for having the longest word, with the earliest submission being deemed the winner. When "celebration", "crenelation", "intolerance", and "nondirected" are the only four subanagrams of "Benedict Arnold" (at least according to the tool I used) of length 11, longer than any others, speed matters -- someone's going to get one of those, so you'd better do it fast. There is something to be said for providing good content and getting more likes though (or just hiring ELITE/like farms).
    Last edited by josh; 01-14-2021 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Add link to subanagram finder

6. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Yesterday and today's tasks have had a 5 point bonus for having the longest word, with the earliest submission being deemed the winner. When "celebration", "crenelation", "intolerance", and "nondirected" are the only four subanagrams of "Benedict Arnold" (at least according to the tool I used) of length 11, longer than any others, speed matters -- someone's going to get one of those, so you'd better do it fast. There is something to be said for providing good content and getting more likes though (or just hiring ELITE/like farms).
    Ahhh. So that explains how people are coming up with these great words. I just try to figure out a word or two that I have a good chance of seeing, and if I find something better along the way, I'll use that. I never thought of waking up at 4 am and spending an hour of research to get an extra 5 points.

Post Thanks / Like

1/14/21 Benedict Arnold

Rode 40 miles to get this street sign going up up and up! I think the direct translation is centurion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    Ahhh. So that explains how people are coming up with these great words. I just try to figure out a word or two that I have a good chance of seeing, and if I find something better along the way, I'll use that. I never thought of waking up at 4 am and spending an hour of research to get an extra 5 points.
    I'm the same way. I'm more interested in new scenery than in points, so I'd rather spend a few minutes coming up with answers on my own, and then think about where I might find them IRL, especially if it's a place I've only ridden past. I didn't get around to finding "swim team" from Liam Hemsworth, but it gave me the idea to do a tour of local swim clubs sometime. It's a good game.

10. Likes AlanA, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/14/2021 Benedict Arnold anagram

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC2B983F-92D0-43F4-B7BB-B9B638538B38.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	22686

Central is the word.

12. Likes CBGanimal, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/14 - Benedict Arnold anagram - celebration

Name:	3AD35E9D-A595-4B5D-879A-2BA490BE79B9.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	22687

14. Likes CBGanimal, Kbikeva, Brownws, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/14/21 Anagram Benedict Arnold

How about two anagrams on one sign. Bridal and Tailor

Name:	F0D95710-D435-42E5-A9A7-D1C0FD8FC6AE.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	22688

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    1/14/21 - "Benedict Arnold" Anagram Word

16. Likes DCAKen, AlanA, Steve O, bikesnick, bigredboiler, JoM liked this post