ELITE ELITE:  40
Page 285 of 306 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 3051

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    3/14/21 - Scientist (Name or Likeness)

I know it's Pi day, but we already did pie. Besides, now that it's ok to like scientists again, let's join in Celebrate Scientists Day, which happens to be Albert Einstein's birthday of March 14.

On your ride, find a scientist's name or likeness out in the wild, and snap a pic of it. It'd also be cool if you could mention at least one scientific contribution they gave to the world.

Happy hunting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	billnye.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	25102
    Sir Issac Newton, no apple trees to test gravity in the vicinity. I tried to find the π to go with it, but had to settle for peanut butter "pie." Thank you George Washington Carver.

Name:	Issac Newton Sq.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	25123
    Last edited by consularrider; 03-14-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Einstein, who is still practicing good masking!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    3/14/21 - Scientist

This monument is dedicated to Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, a system of alternative medicine. Hahnemann was a 19th century German physician and chemist and is the first foreigner not associated with the American Revolution to be honored by sculpture in Washington.

The monument could also be see as a reflection of the evolution of the perception of science. Now, homeopathy is seen by many as a pseudoscience (statements beliefs, or practices that claim to be both scientific and factual but are incompatible with the scientific method). But at the memorial's unveiling in 1900, the ceremony was attended by President McKinley and many medical professionals.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Wow cool find and really interesting information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigredboiler View Post
    3/14/21 Scientist

It's hard to go too far around DMV without seeing signs honoring Dr. Fauci
    Here is one with some St. Patty's Day theme surrounding it.

His accomplishments are many; you might have heard some in the news this past year.
    He is director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the chief medical advisor to the president.

Name:	PXL_20210314_170037551.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	25113
    Oh what a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it.

Post Thanks / Like

3/14/21 - Scientist

Scientist and all around polymath, Benjamin Franklin. Not yellow, though.

I learned that Franklin, through his own voyages and in interviews with ship captains, created a map of the Gulf Stream, which was the name he gave it. From Wikipedia:
    Franklin published his Gulf Stream chart in 1770 in England, where it was completely ignored. Subsequent versions were printed in France in 1778 and the U.S. in 1786. The British edition of the chart, which was the original, was so thoroughly ignored that everyone assumed it was lost forever until Phil Richardson, a Woods Hole oceanographer and Gulf Stream expert, discovered it in the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris in 1980.This find received front-page coverage in The New York Times.

It took many years for British sea captains to adopt Franklin's advice on navigating the current; once they did, they were able to trim two weeks from their sailing time. In 1853, the oceanographer and cartographer Matthew Fontaine Maury noted that while Franklin charted and codified the Gulf Stream, he did not discover it.

Name:	franklin.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	25125

Post Thanks / Like

3/14/2021 Scientist

Scientist -- Ronald Davis, PhD, a world-class geneticist at Stanford University whose legendary research helped crack the code of DNA. His breakthrough work led to dozens of patents and laid the groundwork for the Human Genome Project, revolutionizing modern biology by giving scientists a complete map of all genes in the human species.

After his son, Whitney Dafoe, then in his 20s, came down with myalgic encephalomyelitis — better known as chronic fatigue syndrome Davis turned his research to try to find a cure for ME/CFS.

During the global pandemic, Davis’ search for a cure for ME/CFS could also shed new light in understanding why some Covid-19 long haulers have stayed sick for more than a year.

Name:	IMG_20210314_140715642.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	25126

7. Likes bikesnick, karenbikes2, CBGanimal, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

3/14/21 - scientist for Einstein's birthday

Wow everyone came up with such cool subjects! AlanA's backup was my reach. I ended up falling asleep midday and waking up when the wind was too strong to bike east to the Rachel Carson place. (I like my rude headwind shocks upfront.) And the Jane Goodall place was in Tyson's. Tyson's isn't far, but it's such a no cyclist's land. So much for getting a pic of a female scientist.

I do live right by banneker park, and I had a feeling maybe he'd been an interesting scientist, but then I decided that was probably wishful thinking. Good thing 2 others got it already.

So here's one more for the birthday boy. Happy birthday Einstein!

Oh yeah and this makes 2 days in a row that I hadda go looking for something I have a perfectly good one of at home. My husband is a scientist. Drevil didn't say it hadda be a famous one, did he?

Last edited by Nadine; 03-14-2021 at 08:24 PM.

9. Likes LisaE, karenbikes2, CBGanimal, DCAKen, AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Sir Issac Newton, no apple trees to test gravity in the vicinity. I tried to find the π to go with it, but had to settle for peanut butter "pie." Thank you George Washington Carver.

Name:	Issac Newton Sq.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	25123
    You just didn't look far enough. On the far side of Isaac Newton Square over by NovaLabs there are some fruit trees next to the golf course. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I already used a statue of Ben Franklin for the lightning/kite (I don't actually remember what exactly the prompt was) task, but I figured I'd use another statue for today's challenge. Ben Franklin was a polymath so science was one of many pursuits for him. He experimented with electricity, inventing the lightning rod and also killing/cooking turkeys via electric shock (I'm not sure how he reconciled this with his vegetarianism). He also studied ocean currents in the Northern Atlantic, and ended up naming the Gulf Stream current. He also made contributions to:
    • Demographics
    • Meteorology
    • Thermodynamics

Name:	scientist.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	25127

This is young Ben Franklin, just making his way down to Philadelphia from Boston.

12. Likes bikesnick, LisaE, karenbikes2, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3/14/21 - Scientist (Name or Likeness) - Bohrer Park

Name:	IMG_5198.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	25130
    Niels Bohr was one of the foremost scientists of modern physics, best known for his substantial contributions to quantum theory and his Nobel Prize-winning research on the structure of atoms.

14. Likes LisaE, karenbikes2, Nadine liked this post