Likes Likes:  13,559
Dislikes Dislikes:  31
ELITE ELITE:  40
Page 237 of 306 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3051

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

Post Thanks / Like

3/1/21 - pig!

This place has all 3 - a pig likeness, the word pig, and they serve pork. It's a li'l fancy priced but it's REALLY good. Now I wanna go again. One day

Good thing Drevil doesn't dock points for lack of originality. I knew last night when I saw what today's challenge was that I was gonna go here - but Cate got here first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

3/1/21 pig or barbeque

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Likes karenbikes2, JoM, CBGanimal, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    3/1/21 - Pig or BBQ Joint
    I figured I'd go to Reading Terminal Market to find Philbert the Pig. I was going to grab a sandwich for lunch from a vegan deli I've never been to that's there, but I cut it a little close and flatted (too much broken glass) on my way there, and I didn't want to risk being late for a meeting. I ended up squeezing in a trip after work ended and before the market closed -- no sandwich though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pig.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	24640

I decided I shouldn't rub his snout under the mask, but posing with him would be acceptable.
    Last edited by josh; 03-01-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

3/1 pig or bbq

2 Fifty Texas BBQ — best in the DMV, minutes from my house, part-time employer of my daughter

Post Thanks / Like

National Pig Day has been celebrated on March 1 since 1972, when it was started by two sisters, one of who said the purpose of the day is "to accord the pig its rightful, though generally unrecognized, place" as one of the most intelligent domesticated animals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Pig_Day

On your ride, find a pig, whether it be the word or a likeness ...orrrr... you can go the opposite way and find a BBQ joint that serves pork (preferably one you'd recommend). This brings up one thing that I always thought was funny: why do some restaurants have a cheery icon of the animal you are about to eat (e.g. Hot N Juicy or Pollo Campero)? Have those animals not watched Soylent Green or Cloud Atlas?

Happy hunting!

Name:	mspiggy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	24607

Picture of a pig in the sign for Dave’s Famous BBQ, located in the shopping center at the intersection of Hunter Mill Rd and 123 in Oakton. Smelled delicious but this vegan was not tempted to the grab some bbq to go. I was having tires installed on my car in Vienna (at C&C, they are THE. BEST. independent automotive maintenance place in NVA, btw) so took a little ride while the work was being done. Headed south, weaving through the neighborhoods east and west of busy 123 until I got to Dave’s in Oakton.

Post Thanks / Like

3/1/2021 Pig or BBQ

Honey Pig Korean BBQ in Centreville

Name:	20210301_193946-COLLAGE.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	24643

Post Thanks / Like

3/1 - pig or BBQ

Honey Pig BBQ in Annandale, I really want to visit (and actually eat inside) soon! Nom nom nom!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. Likes JoM, Serdar, LhasaCM, komorebi, Nadine, bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

3/01/21 - Pig

Like [mention]LisaE [/mention] and [mention]bikesnick [/mention], I knew exactly where to go for this one: the passel of pigs at Don Beyer Volvo dealership in the Little City of Falls Church VA.

The official title of the work is the straightforwardly descriptive “The Man Slopping Pigs.” It was created by artist Richard Beyer, brother of Don Beyer Sr., who founded the dealership in 1973. The cast-aluminum statue went up in 1984 and cost $25,000.

“We were having a discussion over a bottle of 101-proof Wild Turkey late one night and the inspiration just came to us,” Don Beyer told The Post in 1988.

While some have tried to analogize the work, seeing it as a symbol of special interests feeding at the government trough, the inspiration behind it was much more personal: The Beyer brothers grew up on Springhill Farm in McLean, where their mother, Clara, kept pigs.

“She honored pigs highly,” said Richard Beyer, who now lives in New York City. “They are marvelous animals.”

The statue has become a Falls Church landmark. For a while it achieved a modicum of fame as the setting for a peculiar sort of photo shoot. Members of the Hogettes — the cross-dressing, snout-wearing Redskins fans who worshiped the Hogs, the team’s offensive line in the 1980s — would come out regularly to have their pictures taken near the shiny metal porkers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...eQH_story.html

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 03-01-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

3-1-21 Pig or BBQ

Another day of sloppy roads from rain all morning and I didn't have time to ride later in the day.
    Since others shared the Green Pig, I'll share Sloppy Mamas BBQ (and District Taco sneaks in on the right) instead.
    Always happy to give a shout out to DT. Delicious Carnitas!

Last edited by bigredboiler; 03-01-2021 at 09:00 PM. Reason: carriage return to get photo below text.

12. Likes JoM, LhasaCM, komorebi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

National Pig Day has been celebrated on March 1 since 1972, when it was started by two sisters, one of who said the purpose of the day is "to accord the pig its rightful, though generally unrecognized, place" as one of the most intelligent domesticated animals:...

On your ride, find a pig, whether it be the word or a likeness ...orrrr... you can go the opposite way and find a BBQ joint that serves pork (preferably one you'd recommend). This brings up one thing that I always thought was funny: why do some restaurants have a cheery icon of the animal you are about to eat (e.g. Hot N Juicy or Pollo Campero)? Have those animals not watched Soylent Green or Cloud Atlas?

Happy hunting!

Name:	mspiggy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	24607
    Why do restaurants include icons on the animals they serve? Maybe under the same sort of logic that allowed us to include either a pig *or* a BBQ joint on a date aiming "to accord the pig its rightful, though generally unrecognized, place" as one of the most intelligent domesticated animals"!

I'm not a huge meat eater, but I used to live near Kenny's smokehouse on Capitol Hill. It was visited by both Michelle and Barack Obama at different times, prompting a fair bit of confusion: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...wVmV_blog.html

Name:	PXL_20210301_190606729.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	24644

14. Likes JoM, LhasaCM, komorebi, Steve O liked this post