Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: December 2020 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

The lines were being painted today on the block south of the Freeway and north of G St, SW for the 4th St bike lanes.

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rode the MVT this afternoon. The areas between the Trollheim and the Memorial Bridge tunnel had some pretty thick ice at the normal water seepage locations. Lot of tracks in the grass alongside the trail.

4. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Rode the MVT this afternoon. The areas between the Trollheim and the Memorial Bridge tunnel had some pretty thick ice at the normal water seepage locations. Lot of tracks in the grass alongside the trail.
    I've got three events scheduled for January to try to fix this the best we can that need volunteers. From just a cursory inspection, I think some of the puddles can be alleviated by removing some of the silt and turf that's built up on the trail edge but some of it may require creating some channels for the water. I should have a better idea after getting the opportunity to look deeper during the January 2nd event. The water seepage is a challenge that I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything about.

Saturday, January 2nd – Trail edging for drainage improvement and English ivy removal – Sign up at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/133808419585

Saturday, January 9th – Trail edging for drainage improvement and English ivy removal – Sign up at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/133905598249

Saturday, January 23rd – Trail edging for drainage improvement and English ivy removal – Sign up at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/133911080647

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 2020 Road & Trail Conditions

** White’s Ferry is Dead :-/ **

... Thanks to Rocklands Farm (for which I think I’ll cross that winery off of my ride destinations, but that’s another story...)

From yesterday’s failed attempt to do the White’s Ferry Loop, which shall be ridden no more ...

I do not recommend crossing the Rt 15 bridge over the Potomac at Point of Rocks; very bike-unfriendly and no where to go against high-speed motorized traffic w/ no shoulder on the side of the road.

For more info:
    https://www.facebook.com/79695133660...727288661/?d=n

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am confused. The Rockland Farm Winery is located in Poolesville, MD, well away from the ferry crossing and Virginia. Why is they relevant to this? Who has the back story?

As if we needed another reason why 2020 sucks...

9. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    I am confused. As if we needed another reason why 2020 sucks... The Rockland Farm Winery is located in Poolesville, MD, well away from the ferry crossing and Virginia. Why is they relevant to this? Who has the back story?
    Looking at the comments on the Facebook post, it's Rockland Farm LLC, on the VA side of the ferry, not Rocklands Farm Winery in MD. Presumably it'll be back, it's not like the ferry is anything new. Crossing at route 15 isn't that bad either, IMO, and you get to ride Furnace Mountain Road.

11. Likes Sunyata, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tree down blocking CCT near Georgetown trailhead. Portage required!

13. Likes kwarkentien, Serdar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default December 2020 Road & Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Looking at the comments on the Facebook post, it's Rockland Farm LLC, on the VA side of the ferry, not Rocklands Farm Winery in MD. Presumably it'll be back, it's not like the ferry is anything new. Crossing at route 15 isn't that bad either, IMO, and you get to ride Furnace Mountain Road.
    I rode across the Rt 15 bridge yesterday and it was extremely hazardous. I took the Lane w/ another cyclist and still got passed, buzzed by numerous motorists, crossing a double yellow center line, into oncoming traffic, especially on the climb up 15 on the VA side. There is no shoulder for an escape route. I bailed out as soon as possible onto St Claire Ln and the gravel backroads to Rt 15 where there is a wide shoulder.

Closure of White’s Ferry will likely increase motorized traffic across the Rt 15 bridge at Point of Rocks.

Again, I cannot safely recommend crossing Rt 15 bridge on a bike .

Last edited by Boomer2U; 12-28-2020 at 11:32 AM.

15. Likes kwarkentien, Serdar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I rode across the Rt 15 bridge yesterday and it was extremely hazardous. I took the Lane w/ another cyclist and still got passed, buzzed by numerous motorists, crossing a double yellow center line, into oncoming traffic, especially on the climb up 15 on the VA side. There is no shoulder for an escape route. I bailed out as soon as possible onto St Claire Ln and the gravel backroads to Rt 15 where there is a wide shoulder. Again, I cannot safely recommend crossing Rt 15 bridge on a bike .
    Ok, what I was getting at is that crossing the bridge is tolerable, considering it'll just be a minute or so of pain. I haven't ridden along 15 more than just the bridge -- what I was recommending was that a rider takes the first right after crossing into VA, followed by a quick left onto Furnace Mountain. That's a nice, quiet gravel road. On the other side of the bridge, I only have experience to the C&O access point by the MARC station there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.31.55 AM.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	21885
    Last edited by josh; 12-28-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add screenshot

17. Likes Sunyata, kwarkentien, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I rode across the Rt 15 bridge yesterday and it was extremely hazardous. I took the Lane w/ another cyclist and still got passed, buzzed by numerous motorists, crossing a double yellow center line, into oncoming traffic, especially on the climb up 15 on the VA side. There is no shoulder for an escape route. I bailed out as soon as possible onto St Claire Ln and the gravel backroads to Rt 15 where there is a wide shoulder.

Closure of White’s Ferry will likely increase motorized traffic across the Rt 15 bridge at Point of Rocks.

Again, I cannot safely recommend crossing Rt 15 bridge on a bike .

Didn't you lead a ride on I-66 at Delaplane once? Point of Rocks Bridge is cake compared to that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk