Likes Likes:  275
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BicycleBeth View Post
    I stand corrected, Bikesnick. Please keep the marker. Now that I knew to look for Wyatt Lee, I found a source: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/158775134/wyatt-lee
    Beth. I wasn't trying to cause any issues for Bikesnick. I am somewhat amused at what he comes up with. Since bikedavid asked about how this information was being found, I was trying to explain how easy it was to come up with a lot of random stuff by doing a simple search.

Sorry if anyone thought I was trying to challenge anything. It's only a game! And for people who don't happen to live along a few major routes for troops movements, the street part can be tricky. I have to say that Jubal Early and JEB Stuart have come in handy for me!

2. Likes bikesnick, BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beth,
    I have been trying to highlight people from the Civil War that might not be as well known as others. To find people, I have looked through records of Medal of Honor winners, nurses, spies, Underground Railroad conductors, etc. and then look for streets with those names. It has been very informative and I have learned that there are many interesting people who have accomplished much, that I never knew about. There were so many people, that for the month of February, in honor of Black History Month, I only chose African Americans. Similarly for March, I am choosing women. History always has been one of my least favorite subjects, but this has been an enjoyable challenge. Thank you for creating it.

4. Likes AlanA, BicycleBeth, josh, bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rebecca Lee (Crumpler)

[submitted on 12 March 2021]

Rebecca Lee was the first Black woman to receive a doctor of medicine degree in the US. During the Civil War she practiced in Boston, serving poor African American women and children. After the War, she worked in Richmond for the Freedmenís Bureau* to provide care for freed enslaved people. In 2019, the Governor of Virginia declared 30 March (National Doctors Day) as the Dr. Rebecca Lee Crumpler Day.
    * The Freedmenís Bureau was a US government agency, post Civil War, to help with provisions and care of former enslaved people.

Lee Street (Falls Church, VA)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeeSt.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	25124

6. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    Beth,
    I have been trying to highlight people from the Civil War that might not be as well known as others. To find people, I have looked through records of Medal of Honor winners, nurses, spies, Underground Railroad conductors, etc. and then look for streets with those names. It has been very informative and I have learned that there are many interesting people who have accomplished much, that I never knew about. There were so many people, that for the month of February, in honor of Black History Month, I only chose African Americans. Similarly for March, I am choosing women. History always has been one of my least favorite subjects, but this has been an enjoyable challenge. Thank you for creating it.
    I'm with you! I am not a big history buff either, but this game is really informative.

I did not notice that you only used African Americans for Feb. or only women for Mar. Thanks for pointing that out. That's pretty amazing that you made that effort! I am just scrambling to find roads at this point.

8. Likes BicycleBeth, bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    Beth,
    Super cool! I’m so thrilled to hear that you’re enjoying history in a new way. I had noticed that you seemed to be playing a special version of the street game so it’s cool to understand more about your approach.

Thank you for understanding about me not finding out about Rebecca Lee being married to Wyatt Lee from the sources I looked at.

Keep up the good work!

10. Likes bikesnick, AlanA liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#CivilWarMarker - Frederick Douglass Park
    Downtown St Michaels MD, at corner of Talbot & Mill Streets.
    Landscaped seating area and information kiosk about Frederick Douglass who lived as a slave in the St. Michaels area from 1833-1836.

Douglass wrote several autobiographies, notably describing his experiences as a slave in his Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave (1845), which became a bestseller, and was influential in promoting the cause of abolition, as was his second book, My Bondage and My Freedom (1855). Following the Civil War, Douglass remained an active campaigner against slavery and wrote his last autobiography, Life and Times of Frederick Douglass. First published in 1881 and revised in 1892, three years before his death, the book covers events both during and after the Civil War. Douglass also actively supported women's suffrage, and held several public offices. Without his approval, Douglass became the first African-American nominated for Vice President of the United States as the running mate and Vice Presidential nominee of Victoria Woodhull, on the Equal Rights Party ticket.

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes BicycleBeth, bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Francis Elizabeth Quinn

Francis Elizabeth Quinn was a soldier in the Union Army during the Civil War. She enlisted five separate times using different male names, including giving a false name as her true name when discharged. She even petitioned President Lincoln to allow her to remain in service. During her fifth time of enlistment, she was captured by the Confederates, attempted escape, was shot and discovered to be a woman in hospital. She was released in a prisoner exchange.

N. Quinn Street (Arlington, VA)

Name:	QuinnSt.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	25150

16. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Belle Reynolds

Belle Reynolds was a nurse during the Civil War, including at the Battle of Shiloh. She traveled with her husbandís regiment for almost the entire war. For her service, the governor of Illinois awarded her the rank of major. After the war, she studied and practiced medicine, surgery and homeopathy.

Reynolds Street (Falls Church, VA)

Name:	ReynoldsSt.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	25193

18. Likes AlanA, BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mary Stevens Jenkins

Mary Stevens Jenkins served as a soldier in the Civil War. She enlisted in a Pennsylvania regiment while still a schoolgirl, remained in the army two years, received several wounds, and was discharged without anyone ever realizing she was female.

Jenkins Lane (Falls Church, VA)

Name:	JenkinsLn.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	25206

20. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post