Likes Likes:  275
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Post Thanks / Like

KBikeva,

Thank you so much for these resources! I live in Maryland so I’m more familiar with the campaigns on this side of the River. I’m excited to visit more of the Virginia Civil War sites during Freezing Saddles.

Beth

Post Thanks / Like

Lord of the Mark,

Yay! I used to live in Foxchase on Taney Ave, a street that would count for this challenge since Chief Justice Taney ruled in the Dred Scott case. Crazily enough, I didn’t even realize the streets in my old neighborhood were all named after Confederate generals until recently—Pickett, Van Dorn, Beauregard, etc.

Thank you for playing!

Beth

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, Erika! I’m listening to a Great Course of the Civil War and trying to pay attention to all these names and places so I can go find references to them on my bike. And so I can learn too, of course.

Thank you for playing!

Beth

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I have been doing my research to plan rides starting 1/1! So far, I've found that one sign no longer exists (since it was a CSA sign, and that is a bad thing now), and I have yet to find a sign for another historic house (although, I have found pictures online). I still need to look at that property a bit closer.

Hopefully, I don't encounter too many of these obstacles once Jan. starts!

But, in that regard, if I take a picture of a building that has no sign (but is clearly related to the civil war - and I tell the story), will that count as a marker?

5. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am organizing a Civil War Forts of DC ride(s), so stay posted. Its a longish full route even with no stops and super hilly since all the forts are on the ridgeline. At least 2 rides, maybe 3. Well see, but this is on my bucket list after hearing about it during my tour of the Congressional Cemetery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    FYI, I have been doing my research to plan rides starting 1/1! So far, I've found that one sign no longer exists (since it was a CSA sign, and that is a bad thing now), and I have yet to find a sign for another historic house (although, I have found pictures online). I still need to look at that property a bit closer.

Hopefully, I don't encounter too many of these obstacles once Jan. starts!

But, in that regard, if I take a picture of a building that has no sign (but is clearly related to the civil war - and I tell the story), will that count as a marker?
    Great question! In a situation like this, I would want one additional thing posted to Strava: a photo of the historical marker from your original source.

So in this case you need 3 things:
    1. A photo of your bike and the house/historical site that used to have a historical marker
    2. Photographic proof that such a marker once existed
    3. A description of how this site/marker/former marker is related to the Civil War.

Have fun scouting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    I am organizing a Civil War Forts of DC ride(s), so stay posted. It’s a longish full route even with no stops and super hilly since all the forts are on the ridgeline. At least 2 rides, maybe 3. We’ll see, but this is on my bucket list after hearing about it during my tour of the Congressional Cemetery.
    Please keep me in the loop! I’d love to join in and lead one too!

Beth

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BicycleBeth View Post
    Lord of the Mark,

Yay! I used to live in Foxchase on Taney Ave, a street that would count for this challenge since Chief Justice Taney ruled in the Dred Scott case. Crazily enough, I didn’t even realize the streets in my old neighborhood were all named after Confederate generals until recently—Pickett, Van Dorn, Beauregard, etc.

Thank you for playing!

Beth
    When the City annexed the West End (previously in Fairfax) around 1950 they passed a law saying all new North South streets had to be named after Confederates. That law was only repealed relatively recently. I find it particularly worthy of note that we have a street named after Bloody Bill Quantrell, arguably a terrorist. (the street is not terrible to ride on, though getting to it is - interesting)

10. Likes kwarkentien, BicycleBeth liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    I am organizing a Civil War Forts of DC ride(s), so stay posted. It’s a longish full route even with no stops and super hilly since all the forts are on the ridgeline. At least 2 rides, maybe 3. We’ll see, but this is on my bucket list after hearing about it during my tour of the Congressional Cemetery.
    As a proud resident of Fort Ward Heights, I am quite aware that all the forts were sited based on military tactics, and not on bikeability.

12. Likes kwarkentien, BicycleBeth, SarahBee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found my first #CivilWarMarker and #CivilWarStreet today!

#CivilWarMarker I rode to the Josiah Henson House in Rockville/N Bethesda. Josiah Henson was a former slave who dutifully obeyed his master and tried to buy his freedom. Cheated out of his freedom, he ran away to Canada with some of his family. He was a conductor in the Underground Railroad. The book “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” was based in part on his experiences and influenced Northern opinions toward slavery. Some of the markers from the Josiah Henson cabin on Riley Plantation are pictured above. I still need to visit the lower part of the grounds.

#CivilWarStreet Confederate General Jubal Early marched his troops down Rockville Pike toward the defenses of Washington in 1864 culminating in the Battle of Fort Stevens.

Photos are here on Strava
    Last edited by BicycleBeth; 01-01-2021 at 03:09 PM.

14. Likes Sophie CW liked this post