Likes Likes:  275
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    An unofficial as "you are a top 3 person" the answer is no!! I am doing my best to not duplicate any roads. It's hard, because the same road the can have many different troop movements close to a city. And, FYI, got squat today, so you gained on me again.
    I'll accept your unofficial answer as an official answer (for me anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Samuel Harrison

Samuel Harrison, born into slavery, was an abolitionist and chaplain to the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. He worked to end the discriminatory practices of pay to Black chaplains and spoke and wrote about racism during the Reconstruction Era.

N. Harrison Street (Arlington, VA)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HarrisonSt.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	23966

3. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
    I'll accept your unofficial answer as an official answer (for me anyway).
    Great, Matt! Alan is correct.

5. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default John Mercer Langston

John Mercer Langston participated in the Underground Railroad and recruited Black volunteers for the Massachusetts 54th Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. After the war he helped establish the first Black law school (Howard University) and served as the first dean.
    He was an abolitionist, politician, and attorney. He attended Oberlin College (the first college in the US to admit White and Black students), served as president of Virginia State University, was the first Black representative elected to Congress from Virginia and served as US minister (ambassador) to Haiti. Langston University (in Oklahoma) was renamed in his honor and he is the great uncle of the poet and author Langston Hughes.

Langston Lane (Falls Church, VA)

Name:	LangstonLn.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	23996

7. Likes BicycleBeth, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass was an abolitionist, orator, author, and valued equal rights for all people. Unsure of his actual birth date, he chose 14 February to celebrate.

Douglass Dr. (McLean, VA)

Name:	DouglassDr.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	24042

9. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, thanks, Beth!!

For example, "Bolivar Road" is the approach that Union troops used to engage with Confederate troops at Fox's Gap (on Reno Monument Road) at the Battle of South Mountain in September of 1862. And I even got Reno Monument Rd. in the picture.

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	24053

11. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    lol, thanks, Beth!!

For example, "Bolivar Road" is the approach that Union troops used to engage with Confederate troops at Fox's Gap (on Reno Monument Road) at the Battle of South Mountain in September of 1862. And I even got Reno Monument Rd. in the picture.

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	24053
    I super, duper love this, Alan! How are the road conditions in the Catoctin Valley?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BicycleBeth View Post
    I super, duper love this, Alan! How are the road conditions in the Catoctin Valley?
    Beth. As of today, they were awesome! They were perfectly dry. They had much less rain and ice than we got yesterday. That's why I headed out that way (I saw on radar that they were not getting much as we were). However, they are now under a winter weather advisory for late tonight into tomorrow, so that will change soon. I will not head back out there tomorrow.

Oh, and thanks for the history lesson. I never knew that the Middletown Valley was called the Catoctin Valley back in the old days!
    Last edited by AlanA; 02-14-2021 at 07:09 PM. Reason: History lesson

14. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default William B. Tillman

William B. Tillman, a free African American, was serving as cook and steward aboard the S.J.Waring, a Union merchant ship during the Civil War. The ship left New York for Uruguay but was captured by a Confederate privateer ship. Tillman, told he would be sold into slavery, still was allowed to continue his duties on route to Charleston, SC. He developed a plan, with a captured Union crewman, and attacked the captain, first and second mates with a hatchet, throwing them overboard, and taking control of the ship. He sailed the ship back to NY and was welcomed with much attention in the popular press. For saving the S.J.Waring he was awarded a $7000 ship recovery fee from a federal court. His popularity continued - Currier & Ives did his portrait, he spoke at PT Barnumís museum, and Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, Harperís Weekly, Scientific American and others wrote about his efforts.

Tillman Drive (McLean, VA)

Name:	TillmanDr.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	24072

16. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I created a leaderboard on the website to track points for the Civil War prize. The prize sponsor's point accounting is official but I hope the board is useful and fun. Please let me know if you have any feedback.

https://freezingsaddles.org/pointless/civilwarhistory

18. Likes AlanA, josh, BicycleBeth liked this post