Likes Likes:  275
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Post Thanks / Like

Default Susie King Taylor

Susie King Taylor, enslaved at birth in Georgia, escaped to an island controlled by Union forces and became the first Black teacher to openly teach freed African American students (children and adults) in Georgia and the first Black Army nurse. She served as a nurse and teacher in the 33rd USCT regiment, without pay. After the war, she was the first, and only, African American women to publish an account of her experiences during the Civil War.

Taylor Road (Falls Church, VA)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TaylorRd.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	25222

2. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Private William A. Collins of Statesville, N.C., served in Company C of the 48th North Carolina Infantry Regiment from March 1862 until his death in December 1862. The collection is chiefly letters that William A. Collins sent to his family in Statesville, Iredell County, N.C. Collins's letters discuss camp life; the Regiment's first combat action against Union gun boats at City Point on the James River near Petersburg, Va., 16 June 1862; and actions in northern Virginia and Maryland in the course of which he was wounded and captured at the Battle of Antietam on 17 September 1862.

Liberty Cemetery is a 1/4 acre parcel originally deeded to Ebenezer Lodge No. 14, Sons and Daughters of Liberty for use as a graveyard in 1907 (Db X6:539). The cemetery and surrounding property was condemned by the Fairfax County School Board in 1965, displacing a small but vibrant Afro American community for a school that was never built. It is now located within Pine Ridge Park near Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Collins struggle wasn’t recognized until the 1990s, but it came too late to benefit his displaced descendants.

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jessie Rupert

Jessie Rupert, while living in pro-Confederacy Virginia during the Civil War, taught African Americans to read and write (which was illegal), flew the American flag, burned a Confederate flag, and cared for both Union and Confederate wounded soldiers.

Rupert Street (McLean, VA)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RupertSt.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	25249

6. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for playing the Civil War history game with such enthusiasm! We had 31 people participate and over a dozen regular players. I learned so many new things about the Civil War especially regarding the abolition movement, the Underground Railroad, and how the Civil War and Reconstruction changed Washington City long-term. I loved reading your posts and learning from your cycling adventures. As promised I have Audible "Great Course" prizes for the top 3 Civil War History players.

Congratulations to the winners!

#1 Matt Williams 529 points
    #2 Alan Adams 433 points
    #3 Cathy Miller 322 points
    Honorable Mention: Glenn Glenn/Bikesnick, 194 points

As a reminder, here are the prizes:
    The winners will each receive their choice of the following Audible audio books delivered electronically to their email. Check out the options online at Audible

1. The Great Courses: The American Civil War
    2. The Great Courses: The History of the United States, 2nd Edition
    3. Another Great Course on American history of your choice by one of these professors: Allen C. Guelzo, Gary W. Gallagher, or Patrick N. Allitt

To get you your prize, I'll need your email address and which Great Course you would like. I'll message you on the forum to get your email address.
    Last edited by BicycleBeth; 03-21-2021 at 09:28 PM.

8. Likes AlanA, bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BicycleBeth View Post
    Thank you everyone for playing the Civil War history game with such enthusiasm! We had 31 people participate and over a dozen regular players. I learned so many new things about the Civil War especially regarding the abolition movement, the Underground Railroad, and how the Civil War and Reconstruction changed Washington City long-term. I loved reading your posts and learning from your cycling adventures. As promised I have Audible "Great Course" prizes for the top 3 Civil War History players.

Congratulations to the winners!

#1 Matt Williams 529 points
    #2 Alan Adams 433 points
    #3 Cathy Miller 322 points

As a reminder, here are the prizes:
    The winners will each receive their choice of the following Audible audio books delivered electronically to their email. Check out the options online at Audible

1. The Great Courses: The American Civil War
    2. The Great Courses: The History of the United States, 2nd Edition
    3. Another Great Course on American history of your choice by one of these professors: Allen C. Guelzo, Gary W. Gallagher, or Patrick N. Allitt

To get you your prize, I'll need your email address and which Great Course you would like. I'll message you on the forum to get your email address.
    Beth,

Please feel free to give my prize to the #4 person (or re-rank the prizes). I think the effort and thought put into the street names deserves something. And, plus. I don't do audio books. I'm always unplugged when I ride my bike, and I have my collection of Grateful Dead for when I'm in the car (I can make it all the way cross country and back on one flash drive!) And, I have two!! Plus an old Ipod with even more!!!

My prize was for learning something and having so much fun finding all the Civil War markers. It was eye opening for me. Although, I'm not sure future riding friends will appreciate all the silly nonsense I spew off (like I did today on my ride with a friend).

I also owe you a silly prize (which I still need to get) for your unofficial first place. I will give it to you some day when we do a ride to Reno Monument!
    Last edited by AlanA; 03-21-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    Beth,

Please feel free to give my prize to the #4 person (or re-rank the prizes). I think the effort and thought put into the street names deserves something. And, plus. I don't do audio books. I'm always unplugged when I ride my bike, and I have my collection of Grateful Dead for when I'm in the car (I can make it all the way cross country and back on one flash drive!) And, I have two!! Plus an old Ipod with even more!!!

My prize was for learning something and having so much fun finding all the Civil War markers. It was eye opening for me. Although, I'm not sure future riding friends will appreciate all the silly nonsense I spew off (like I did today on my ride with a friend).

I also owe you a silly prize (which I still need to get) for your unofficial first place. I will give it to you some day when we do a ride to Reno Monument!
    I love that you’re spewing off Civil War related history tidbits to your riding buddies! I inundate my clients with my Civil War stories and finds. �� And I am pleased to honor bikesnick with a prize for coming in fourth place.

11. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlanA View Post
    ...I'm always unplugged when I ride my bike, and I have my collection of Grateful Dead for when I'm in the car (I can make it all the way cross country and back on one flash drive!) And, I have two!! Plus an old Ipod with even more!!!
    As my friends and family are fond of saying "so that's like one song, right?!?"

True story: We were heading down to OBX and leaving Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg when The Other One came on. The kids wanted to change the station and I told them not until the song was over. We were almost at the NC border when it finally ended (it went into Wharf Rat, which made it impossible to change the station lol).

As for the contest, thanks to Beth for sponsoring it. I learned a lot over the past few months about the Civil War (and finally made it to the Antietam Battlefield, which I've been meaning to do for years). I'm fortunate to live near Centreville, where lots of Civil War action took place early on in the war, making it easier for me to consistently get markers and streets. (I actually left both markers and streets on the table and probably have enough left over to get me through the end of March!)

This is my third year doing FS and my second committing to a pointless prize. Like last year (where I focused on the ParkFinder prize), this really opened my routes up and exposed me to a lot more of the area that I typically didn't ride (such as heading down into Manassas). Hopefully there's something like this for next year to keep my routes fresh!

Thanks again, Beth!

13. Likes AlanA, BicycleBeth liked this post
  14. 03-22-2021, 11:46 AM

Reason
    duplicate post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
    True story: We were heading down to OBX and leaving Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg when The Other One came on. The kids wanted to change the station and I told them not until the song was over. We were almost at the NC border when it finally ended (it went into Wharf Rat, which made it impossible to change the station lol).
    Thanks again, Beth!
    That should have been good for about 40-50 miles!! I just hope you turned down Wharf Rat at the proper time. You don't want your kids picking up any bad words! I had to do that once when my Mom was in the car. She liked the music, but as a Quaker (awesome folks around Civil War time), did not appreciate bad words.
    Last edited by AlanA; 03-22-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
    I remember that when The Golden Road collector's set came out, one of the late night hosts joked: "The Grateful Dead announced they are putting out a 12 CD set. There's no word yet on which song it is."

As someone who plays in a Grateful Dead tribute band, let me tell you it can be hard to practice those really lengthy songs. As a keyboard player, when practicing I fast forward through a lot of guitar solos

17. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    I remember that when The Golden Road collector's set came out, one of the late night hosts joked: "The Grateful Dead announced they are putting out a 12 CD set. There's no word yet on which song it is."

As someone who plays in a Grateful Dead tribute band, let me tell you it can be hard to practice those really lengthy songs. As a keyboard player, when practicing I fast forward through a lot of guitar solos
    I'm pretty sure I have seen a Great Northern show. And after looking at your past shows, it would have been at Gypsy Sally's.