Likes Likes:  204
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode out Trogs Neck in the Bronx to see Ft Schuyler, but the location is closed to the public so I couldn't get an actual marker (again). It housed Confederate prisoners-of-war, was a hospital, guarded the entrance to the East River across from Ft Totten in Queens, and was a training and mustering out point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0475[1].jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	22923 It now houses the SUNY Maritime College among other things.

Name:	IMG_0476[1].jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	22924 The Trogs Neck Bridge over to Ft Totten, Ft Schuyler is to the left of the ship and the other side of the bridge pier.

2. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize: Civil War History

“I rode out Trogs Neck in the Bronx...”

While all of us of a certain age loved “The Trogs,” might you actually have meant to type “Throgs Neck” instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kwarkentien; 01-17-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dinwiddie Street

N Dinwiddie Street in Arlington, VA.
    James Dinwiddie was a surgeon and served in the Confederate Army.

Name:	DinwiddieSt.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	22962

5. Likes BicycleBeth, AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    N Dinwiddie Street in Arlington, VA.
    James Dinwiddie was a surgeon and served in the Confederate Army.

Name:	DinwiddieSt.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	22962
    Hah! And Spencer Dinwiddie plays for the Brooklyn Nets! He used to ride his bicycle around the hills of Arlington! (I may have made up that last part).
    And, PS. How on earth did you ever find out that piece of info? That is some serious research!!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There certainly are a lot of different civil war related markers and street names around here.

I have found myself taking a much narrower approach to this game. Basically doing markers only of forts. By doing so I have been led to several places I had never visited before, which of course means figuring out bike routes I had never tried before, which to me is one of the fun things about FS pointless prize games. So far all have been forts in NoVa, the so called Arlington Line, which as Paul Wilson pointed out, are not all in Arlington (I am still trying to learn when the line received that name, as Arlington County did not exist then, and not all the forts were close to the Custis-Lee Mansion called Arlington) For streets, I have only done streets in Alexandria named after CSA officers (since all new NS in west alexandria were so named for about 40 years, there are a lot)

I will probably diversify as I run out of places in the above categories. My next major goal is to explore the circle forts in DC. Hints about the best routes through greater Anacostia to the circle forts from the Wilson bridge will be appreciated.

8. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lew Wallace

Wallace Drive in Falls Church, VA.

Lew Wallace was a lawyer, author and Union general in the Civil War. He wrote Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ, a best selling novel.

Name:	WallaceDr.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23038

10. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    There certainly are a lot of different civil war related markers and street names around here.

I have found myself taking a much narrower approach to this game. Basically doing markers only of forts. By doing so I have been led to several places I had never visited before, which of course means figuring out bike routes I had never tried before, which to me is one of the fun things about FS pointless prize games. So far all have been forts in NoVa, the so called Arlington Line, which as Paul Wilson pointed out, are not all in Arlington (I am still trying to learn when the line received that name, as Arlington County did not exist then, and not all the forts were close to the Custis-Lee Mansion called Arlington) For streets, I have only done streets in Alexandria named after CSA officers (since all new NS in west alexandria were so named for about 40 years, there are a lot)

I will probably diversify as I run out of places in the above categories. My next major goal is to explore the circle forts in DC. Hints about the best routes through greater Anacostia to the circle forts from the Wilson bridge will be appreciated.
    If you start frome the west side it might be more enjoyable. You could take mt Vernon up to 14th accross and exit pedestrian bridge by the "waterfront" make your way to nats satium snd across Souza bridge to as Anacostia trail then east and over to fort circle park. From there they are nicely connected (particularly if you have a cross or mt bike)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minor's Hill

Minor's Hill, is the highest elevation in Arlington County (VA) and was the site of a Confederate outpost.

Name:	MinorsHill.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	23063

13. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Benjamin C. Truman

Benjamin C. Truman was a journalist, author, war correspondent during the Civil War, and an authority on duels.

Name:	TrumanLn.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	23064

(Double duty find for the Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt.)

15. Likes BicycleBeth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    Benjamin C. Truman was a journalist, author, war correspondent during the Civil War, and an authority on duels.

Name:	TrumanLn.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	23064

(Double duty find for the Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt.)
    Great minds think alike!;-)

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes bikesnick, BicycleBeth liked this post