Likes Likes:  204
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize Thread 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize Thread 2021

Hi all! It's time for the funnest part of Freezing Saddles, the Pointless Prizes. These are fun activities - both crazy and mundane - that add a little something extra to the winter riding experience.

First of all, anyone can sponsor a prize - you can sponsor a prize, your friend who isn't playing can sponsor a prize, even your mom can sponsor a prize. Second, Pointless Prizes can be about anything! They can be objective (like most miles ridden on New Years Day), they can be subjective (like Sock Game). They can be embarrassing (like rider with the most falls) and they can be heartwarming (Bike Samaritans, helping others in need). Check out last year's thread for more examples.

Here is the current list of Pointless Prizes:
    Prize Name (Sponsor) - Description #Hashtag
    Elevation per mile prize (QuikAF77) - Most elevation per mile on average for the entire competition NA
    Public Art Finder (Boomer2U) - Any display of art (graffiti, mural, sculpture or any sort of artistic expression, loosely defined), permanent or temporary installation, that is freely accessible to the public and includes a bicycle somewhere in the picture frame #publicartfinder
    CalvinBall (rcannon100) - Calvinball is a hot-potato cycling game that celebrates creativity and stoopidity
    Lite Brite Prize (sarahbee) - Ten categories of cool photo prizes #LiteBrite
    Photo Caption Competition (SteveO) -
    Civil War History Prize (BicycleBeth) - #CivilWarMarker #CivilWarStreet.
    LakeFinder (Boomer2U) - #lakefinder
    Photography Contest (Mtansill) -
    Wormhole (LuisFilipe) - Ride using "Wormholes" - unexpected connections from Point A to Point B #fswormhole
    Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt (drevil) - Find and photograph the object/concept of the days
    4 Point Pointless Prize (Char Miller) - Visit the four corners of the DC boundary
    Quaxapalooza (rumipumi) - Supporting your local small businesses on your bikes (aka Quaxing) #BAFS2021SmallBiz
    Bike Infrastructure (smb9600) - Share info about the cool bike infrastructure being built to make our cycling lives easier. #BikeInfrastructure
    TandemStyle (elizsnyder) - Spot tandems in the wild #tandemstyle
    New Deal Landmarks (historygeek) - Find New Deal related sites
    Extra Mile (epilsk) - Overcome obstacles to ride
    Deflated (LuisFilipe) - Most flats during FS #Deflated
    Loopy for Arlington (bentbike33) - Most Arlington Loops
    Top 3 Women Riders (Fast Friendly Guy) - Most BAFS miles, pronoun "she"
    Slowest Mile (Bort McFly) - Slowest average speed - 1-2 mile rides #slowmile
    Parkfinder (camiller) - Discover and visit local parks #Parkfinder
    Coffee Snob (Chuxtr) - Ride and drink froufrou java #FS2021coffeesnobride
    STEM (bikesnick) - Show your bike at a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) site
    Sock Game (Jessica Hirschhorn) - Best socks
    Errandeering (BeeTinDC) - Use your bike to run errands - not commuting, not fun stuff. Sometimes pronounced Errandaneuring. #freezingerrands2021
    Drop the Pandemic Pudge (Cwaggon) - Ride your bike to burn off those extra pounds you may have accumulated during the pandemic #DropThePandemicPudge
    Team that rides the most days (SteveO) - Team that rides the most days, regardless of miles
    Meh-diocrity (SteveO) - Prize for the individual/team who ends up exactly in the middle of the pack
    Mailbox Collection (bigredboiler) - Find interesting mailboxes #Mailbox
    Heroes Work Here (bikedavid) - Ride to a spot with a "Heroes work here" sign #HeroesWorkHere
    Last edited by accordioneur; 01-06-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Can't change things if you don't

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to sponsor an elevation per mile prize. Similar to what I did in 2018 http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ointless-prize.

Post Thanks / Like

#PublicArtFinder

I’d like to sponsor a new prize category for FS2021 #publicartfinder.

Ride your bike at least a mile to any display of art (graffiti, mural, sculpture or any sort of artistic expression, loosely defined), permanent or temporary installation, that is freely accessible to the public, and take a picture of said art that includes a bicycle somewhere in the frame.

Post your ride using the hashtag #Publicartfinder on Strava.

You can also post your photo on either this forum (which is clunky, so please use “small” option to minimize bandwidth for viewers on ancient flip phones or 2G networks), or the FS Facebook page.

Photos will be judged by some faceless cabal on totally subjective criteria that may include use of creative objects (like a bicycle), composition, light, artistic flair, # of quality submissions or # likes, kudos or dislikes.

A great source of info where to find public works of art in the DMV region can be found on the Facebook page “Murals of DC” or IG #MuralsDC

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 12-07-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added scoring criteria

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful idea!

5. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. Why do we want to find Public Carts??

7. Likes SarahBee, Boomer2U, randomduck liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

If I receive a big enuf bribe:
    * Calvinball: The Rise of SkyHobbes
    * Notorious Bingo

Last edited by rcannon100; 11-20-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Now Playing: Calvinball: The Revenge of Santabot

9. Likes CBGanimal, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All for it. Worked hard to win this pointless prize in 2019 and then realized it wasn't even sponsored - no happy hour last year so was all moot anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this idea!!

Post Thanks / Like

FS2021 Lite Brite Prize

This year I’d like to sponsor a prize I’ll call Lite Brite.

Rules:
    1) Submissions must occur during FS2021
    2) photos must be your own
    3) you may submit as many entries into any of the categories as you wish.
    4) photos must either feature your bike or be taken while riding your bike

I’ll be awarding points for the following categories, but only the best will win per category:
    1) Brightest bike light display
    2) Reflective tape/reflector art
    3) Best team light theme
    4) Best / most outrageous hi viz outfit
    5) Best public art light display e.g Georgetown, Zoo Lights, Meadowlark)
    6) Best reflective body art (e.g. reflective paint, safety skin, etc.)
    7) Best 15 second or less light/reflective video submission.
    8) Best natural/atmospheric light (e.g. sunrise, sunset, fireworks, Northern lights, fire, moonlight, etc.)
    9) (and by popular demand) Brite Lite a ninja- document providing a ninja with bike lights so they aren’t a trail hazard
    10) Most Lit Doggo- because doggos are cute and I pander. Extra points if dog is up for adoption. You win the category outright if you adopt doggo, commit to taking care of it for its lifetime, and put a light on it.

Points will be based on a combination of forum likes, level of difficulty, and artistry, so totally subjective
    Last edited by SarahBee; 11-24-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    5) Best public art light display e.g Georgetown, Zoo Lights, Meadowlark)
    Great idea for a PP, SarahBee! I'm planning to organize a group ride to Meadowlark's Winter Walk of Lights on January 1, since it sounds great and I've never been. Stay tuned for more details.

14. Likes Emm, smb9600, JoM liked this post