Likes Likes:  195
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Pointless Prize Thread 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snugglefestival View Post
    Wikipedia's 20th birthday is tomorrow (January 15), and I'm sponsoring a rapid-response, one-day-only pointless-prize in honor of it.

The task: On January 15, while you are out and about on your bike, take a picture of a place that has a Wikipedia page and share one fact about that place using #Wikipedia20.

Pro tip: If you need help finding a place, use the Wikipedia app on your phone. The toolbar on the bottom has a "Places" button, which will open a map showing you all the spots near you with Wikipedia pages.

Scoring: I will choose a winner based on the creativity of your photo AND the pub-quiz-worthiness of the fact you include. If there are a lot of great entries, I will award a second and third place prize as well.

The prize: Some Wikipedia swag

Full disclosure: I work for the Wikimedia Foundation and edit Wikipedia, but I am doing this in my personal capacity.
    I was looking forward to seeing other and their Wikipedia finds. Will you start a new thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wikipedia's 20th birthday is tomorrow (January 15), and I'm sponsoring a rapid-response, one-day-only pointless-prize in honor of it.

The task: On January 15, while you are out and about on your bike, take a picture of a place that has a Wikipedia page and share one fact about that place using #Wikipedia20.

Pro tip: If you need help finding a place, use the Wikipedia app on your phone. The toolbar on the bottom has a "Places" button, which will open a map showing you all the spots near you with Wikipedia pages.

Scoring: I will choose a winner based on the creativity of your photo AND the pub-quiz-worthiness of the fact you include. If there are a lot of great entries, I will award a second and third place prize as well.

Full disclosure: I work for the Wikimedia Foundation and edit Wikipedia, but I am doing this in my personal capacity.
    Burke Lake Park is located in Fairfax VA. Per Wikipedia, the land the park is on had been purchased by the Federal Government in the 1950s with the intent of building an International Airport before eventually settling on the Chantilly site that is known as Dulles International Airport.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210115_102348903_BURST000_COVER_2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	22783

Picture is the Burke Lake Station. Burke Lake Park has a train station that takes riders on a route in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_6503.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	22787

In this photo taken today, you can see the confluence of Holmes Run (right) and Backlick Run (left) into Cameron Run (foreground). In its turn, Cameron Run becomes Hunting Creek that pours its waters into the Potomac River south of the Wilson Bridge.

In the past, the Alexandria Water Company built a dam to create Barcroft Lake as a source of potable drink water. However, after WWII the city exceeded the capacity of the lake and discontinued its use in favor of the Occoquan Reservoir.
    Last edited by Serdar; Today at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the #wikipedia20 hashtag on my Strava ride title - hoping that's the way to do this. Thanks for putting up a prize. Sorry mine wasn't more exciting!

There is a wikipedia page for Fair Lakes, VA which is where the photo of the public art (girl throwing frisbee for dog) was taken today. Pub quiz fact: On 1 December 2020, a woman reversed her car into the Whole Foods located in Fair Lakes damaging Christmas decorations and Amazon lockers. (not very interesting, but apparently BIG news in Fair Lakes). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_001 (1).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	22789

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here is my #Wikipedia20 post

Charles R. Drew - wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_R._Drew

This is the sign in front of the Charles R. Drew house in Arlington, VA. One interesting fact about Charles R. Drew is that there was a huge myth about his death. You see, he discovered how to separate blood plasma from the red and white cells (which saved thousands of lives during WWII), and he started the Red Cross Blood Bank. He was in a car accident in Alamance County, North Carolina. The myth was that he was refused service at one hospital because he was black, and he was forced to go to the black hospital, and by then it was too late, and he died from... wait for it... lost of blood. BUT - that is only a myth. In reality, he was brought to the nearest hospital and they worked on him to the best of their ability, but his injuries were too great, and he died anyway. Besides the house, there is also a school in Arlington named after him, as well as a bridge in DC. Oh, and he's also my Great-Uncle Charlie.

Name:	Charles Drew sign 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	22799 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charles Drew sign 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	22800