Likes Likes:  258
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize Thread 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    So --- the coffee snob prize listed here uses a different hashtag than listed on the freezingsaddles.com site. The site says: Leaderboard for the BAFS 2021 Coffee Ride prize

Note that the hashtag to appear on this list is #FS2021coffeeride, and it's case-sensitive and subject to review by the offerer of the prize or any other BAFS staff member (which is every participant because this is a volunteer game and we all are in charge (some of us more in charge than others but totally not in a 1984 kind of way))
    #FS2021coffeesnobride is what the prize sponsor specified, and it appears to be what's currently showing up on the Leaderboard. It did take a long time (until just the other day) for the leaderboards to be updated to this year's prizes, so maybe you were looking at it while it was still using last year's hashtags? Or is there a deeper problem that needs to be investigated?

Post Thanks / Like

As I posted in the thread that I started on 12/31/2020, I have canceled the photography contest due to lack of interest. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be awarding a prize for the Least Daily Variance. In addition, I will be awarding a prize to last year's winner, tomacsh

Post Thanks / Like

#ParkFinder - This former golf course is now a recreational park. The Rockville Bike Hub thinks this is a great location for a velodrome! Does anyone know how to get one started/funded?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4650.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	24652
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4873651856

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snugglefestival View Post
    Wikipedia's 20th birthday is tomorrow (January 15), and I'm sponsoring a rapid-response, one-day-only pointless-prize in honor of it.

The task: On January 15, while you are out and about on your bike, take a picture of a place that has a Wikipedia page and share one fact about that place using #Wikipedia20.

Pro tip: If you need help finding a place, use the Wikipedia app on your phone. The toolbar on the bottom has a "Places" button, which will open a map showing you all the spots near you with Wikipedia pages.

Scoring: I will choose a winner based on the creativity of your photo AND the pub-quiz-worthiness of the fact you include. If there are a lot of great entries, I will award a second and third place prize as well.

The prize: Some Wikipedia swag

Full disclosure: I work for the Wikimedia Foundation and edit Wikipedia, but I am doing this in my personal capacity.
    I'm probably too late, but on January 15th I rode a lap in Central Park, NYC.

My photo is the narrowest part of the six mile closed loop leading up to the Carousel (center) and Chess and Checkers House (right). These have been closed for a year now due to COVID. The Carousel has been a beloved Central Park tradition for nearly 150 years. Fifty-seven hand-carved and painted horses—plus two chariots—“gallop” along to calliope music played by a mechanical organ. The Chess & Checkers House is among the newer additions to the Children’s District, an area of the Park dedicated to children and their caregivers. It stands on the former site of the Kinderberg—Dutch for “children’s mountain”—a large, rustic structure offering shade, shelter, and a place to rest. In 1952, long after the Kinderberg fell into disrepair, Chess & Checkers House was erected in its place.

Name:	IMG_0451[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	24907

I had tried to delete the Loeb Boathouse image before posting, but it still comes up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by consularrider; 03-08-2021 at 06:42 PM.

6. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie CW View Post
    #ParkFinder - This former golf course is now a recreational park. The Rockville Bike Hub thinks this is a great location for a velodrome! Does anyone know how to get one started/funded?

Name:	IMG_4650.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	24652
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4873651856
    I think if you get someone like Jeff Bezos to become a bike racer you'd have a really good starting place for it. :-)

8. Likes Sophie CW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    I think if you get someone like Jeff Bezos to become a bike racer you'd have a really good starting place for it. :-)
    YES! I know that's who I need to find. Although I heard there was a DC group at some point wanting to build a velodrome but I can't find anything active about them now.

10. 03-14-2021, 01:04 PM

Reason
    Posted in wrong thread

11. 03-16-2021, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like

To All Pointless Prize Sponsors:

Thanks again for sponsoring a great part of Freezing Saddles! If you've read the comments you know that for many riders, prizes rather than points are what kept them out riding through the cold and inclement weather. Since we won't be having a final happy hour, please post your results in the forum thread for your prize, or in this thread if you don't have a thread for your prize.

It's up to you to coordinate distribution of any physical prize. There are riders who regularly visit coffee clubs and such across the area, so you may be able to enlist distribution help through the forum..

Spring is Here! Happy Riding!
    Last edited by accordioneur; 03-21-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to vote for your favorite clever caption: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...tion-finalists

Post Thanks / Like

ANNOUNCING THE 2021 WINNERS:

POINTLESS PRIZES TOP 5 WOMEN RIDERS BY BAFS MILES
    The winners of this BAFS challenge all have some things in common: Superb athletic ability, dogged determination, stamina, ability to overcome setbacks, and a commitment to being the best!
    It is my pleasure to acknowledge the outstanding achievement and effort by each rider with the traditional pointless prize for this challenge: a bicycle chain key chain, personalized with a silver tag showing the rider's miles ridden BAFS 2021. Chris, Lynn, and Robyne are past winners and already have the key chain, so they will received this year's mileage tag to add to their key chain. Kristen and Kevne are first time winners, and though they are on different BAFS Teams, they're in the same family and each will receive key chain and mileage tag.

POINTLESS PRIZES to:
    1. Chris Watson, 4,025 miles
    2. Lynn Schoenfelder, 3,409 miles
    3. Kristen H 3,001, miles
    4, Robyne McRey, 2,465 miles
    5. Kevne Hull, 2,354 miles

Prize distribution.
    Chris: Is postal mail the best? If so, text me your exact address
    Robyne: HDCC?
    Lynn: Call and stop by Arlington or see you at the next group ride (like last spring)
    Kristen, Kevne: How about a Picnic Ride to Old Angler's (Tajr, too)

Again congratulations!

Fast Friendly Guy
    Dave Pomeroy