Likes Likes:  258
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize Thread 2021

Post Thanks / Like

New Deal Landmark Pointless Prize

There's so much history around us, and I, for one, am going to need biking destinations (since they can't all be coffee shops and breweries this year). For those days when it's too cold to stop outside for long enough to eat or drink-- here's a pointless prize for visiting New Deal projects.
    What it is: During the Great Depression, Franklin Roosevelt promised a "New Deal" for Americans. Federal programs, including the CCC, WPA, and others, came to be collectively known as the New Deal. Projects ranged from new trails in parks to municipal buildings to recording folk music and oral histories. I'm defining this broadly-- so if it's federally funded and from the 1930s, we'll count it.
    The rules:
    Take a bike-related pic at your favorite New Deal site. Post it in the "New Deal Pointless Prize" channel. Prizes awarded for:
    Visiting the most New Deal sites by bike (and posting each to the channel).
    Best New Deal Pic.
    The Eleanor Roosevelt Memorial Prize for best historical description.

Need help getting started? Go to https://livingnewdeal.org/map/ to find a map of New Deal sites. But don't limit yourself to these. Want to travel to a location where a famous artist lived while working for the WPA? Go for it. The site of a great music performance funded by a federal arts program? That counts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post

Freezing Saddles 2021: CoVid Edition: DMV

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2497564127026657

With thanks to the volunteer admin
    Being someone who never really uses FB, will the use of a hashtag make it easier or harder to find the posts related to Calvinball? I don't see them "floating to the top." In my feed, posts seem to be chronological from most recent and all mixed together. So people who post pictures or recommend coffee shops or organize rides will have their posts displayed along with all the others. I don't know if or how one could create a "side thread" or something that pulls the Calvinball posts out separately from all the other FS posts. Sorry for my ignorance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by historygeek View Post

There's so much history around us, and I, for one, am going to need biking destinations (since they can't all be coffee shops and breweries this year). For those days when it's too cold to stop outside for long enough to eat or drink-- here's a pointless prize for visiting New Deal projects.
    What it is: During the Great Depression, Franklin Roosevelt promised a "New Deal" for Americans. Federal programs, including the CCC, WPA, and others, came to be collectively known as the New Deal. Projects ranged from new trails in parks to municipal buildings to recording folk music and oral histories. I'm defining this broadly-- so if it's federally funded and from the 1930s, we'll count it.
    The rules:
    Take a bike-related pic at your favorite New Deal site. Post it in the "New Deal Pointless Prize" channel. Prizes awarded for:
    Best New Deal Pic.

Need help getting started? Go to https://livingnewdeal.org/map/ to find a map of New Deal sites. But don't limit yourself to these. Want to travel to a location where a famous artist lived while working for the WPA? Go for it. The site of a great music performance funded by a federal arts program? That counts.
    I love this prize. There are several sidewalks in my hometown with a WPA stamp on them.

Folks looking to score some points on a long ride should ride down to the rest area at the Mount Vernon Estates and read the signs there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes historygeek, BicycleBeth, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by historygeek View Post

The rules:
    Best New Deal Pic.

Fun fact- WPA also constructed the Pittsburgh Zoo. If you happen to head that way during FS, check out the carvings on some of the enclosures.

6. Likes historygeek, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

POINTLESS PRIZE: QUAXAPALOOZA

As the wife of a local small business owner (Maryland Meadworks), I am sponsoring a pointless prize to encourage supporting your local small businesses on your bikes (aka Quaxing).

How to play:

1. Go for a Quax -- support a local small business by buying something (any amount) and picking it up via bike. One point per business, and yes, you can do more than one per day, but need to log separate Strava rides to each stop. You only get one point per distinct local biz (so yes, you can come 100 times to Maryland Meadworks, as well you should, but you will only get 1 point for the first visit...)

2. Take a picture of you (wearing a mask), your bike, and your purchase (or if it was a service, perhaps the signage or some such that represents that service) outside as many different small businesses as possible.

3. For your ride to count, use #BAFS2021SmallBiz in your Strava ride title AND include the name of the place you visited, e.g., #BAFS2021SmallBiz Maryland Meadworks (shameless plug, right?) And upload the related photo to the same ride.

4. Please play safely: For example, picking up your takeout / growlers (of mead, or even things... that are not mead) curbside (on your bike!)! Again, please take your selfie OUTSIDE the establishment, masked, to set a good example for how COVID-safe cyclists are!

5. What constitutes a local small business? I'll give broad leeway on this. Frankly most every business (esp restaurants) is in such pain right now, I'm likely to give a lot of slack. I just want you to go out for a ride, stimulate the economy and help keep your neighbors employed. And yes, I'll allow you to more than one of a local chain if you differentiate the tags -- i.e. "#BAFS2021SmallBiz Vigilante Hyattsville" AND "#BAFS2021SmallBiz Vigilante College Park" would each count for a point.

6. Prizes? I'll buy the top 3 winners a giftcard ($75, $50, $25) to their favorite local business. (Even if it's not Maryland Meadworks!)

Forum post: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...e-Quaxapalooza
    Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2497...4812539968472/
    Leaderboard https://freezingsaddles.org/pointles...FS2021SmallBiz
    Quaxing: https://momentummag.com/quaxing/
    Last edited by rumipumi; 01-01-2021 at 12:22 PM.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

We now have a plethora of pointless games. Many are photo scavenger hunts. And Ricky's in particular looks outrageous. At this point Notorious appears repetitive and derivative.

"From the discussions I have had with Congressional and other leaders, I have concluded that because of the Watergate matter I might not have the support of the Congress that I would consider necessary to back the very difficult decisions and carry out the duties of this office in the way the interests of the Nation would require. Therefore, I shall abandon the Notorious Game effective at noon tomorrow. "

I am not a crook!

9. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will once again be awarding the Loopy for Arlington Pointless Prizes for completing the most Arlington Loops (for the uninitiated: the Arlington Loop consists of the W&OD Trail from the Custis intersection to its eastern terminus at Shirlington Rd., 4-Mile Run Trail from Shirlington Rd. to its eastern terminus, the MVT from DCA to its northern terminus at Roosevelt Island, and the whole Custis trail).

There will be 3 prizes: Most Clockwise Loops (for those who need to unwind), Most Counter-Clockwise Loops (for those who need to get wound up), and Most Matching Loops (for those seeking balance in life, or who simply like to go both ways).

How do you play?

Unlike Hains Point laps, the Arlington Loop can actually get you to useful places, therefor the game is designed so you don't have to literally ride the entire trail route to count a completed loop, and you don't have to do a complete loop in a single ride, or even a single day, either (for example, you can do half the loop on your morning commute, and the other half on your evening commute the next day). A loop is counted each time you collect all of the short segments located near the trail intersection points. So collect loops while coffeeneuring, beerneuring, doughneuring, errendneuring, quaxaneuring, or Calvinballing. For those who played last year, there are no changes to any segments. The segments on the MVT are configured so that if the north end becomes prohibitively icy, you can cross over to DC and back via the TR and 14th St. (or Memorial) bridges and still complete loops.

For a clockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCW1
    ArLoopCW2
    ArLoopCW3
    ArLoopCW4
    ArLoopCW5
    ArLoopCW6
    ArLoopCW7
    ArLoopCW8

For a counterclockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCCW1
    ArLoopCCW2
    ArLoopCCW3
    ArLoopCCW4
    ArLoopCCW5
    ArLoopCCW6
    ArLoopCCW7
    ArLoopCCW8

Note that many of the segments have been flagged as hazardous in Strava by people wishing to protect their KOMs, I assume. If you don't see a segment you expect on your ride, click the button to "show hidden efforts". Also, a segment will NOT be counted if it is in your Strava "privacy zone".

The prizes will be, of course, specially inscribed commemorative boxes of Froot Loops (TM).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArlingtonLoops2020_CCW.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	21893

The FS Web Gurus successfully programmed a leaderboard for these prizes last year. So, no hashtags needed.

Will CBGAnimal continue her utter dominance of the Counter-Clockwise Loop competition?!? Not if she doesn't come back from Spain soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Will CBGAnimal continue her utter dominance of the Counter-Clockwise Loop competition?!? Not if she doesn't come back from Spain soon!
    I will be back....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes bentbike33, kwarkentien, Steve O, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

POINTLESS PRIZE TO TOP 3 WOMEN RIDERS (BAFS miles)

I'm offering my usual pointless prize to the top three (in BAFS miles ridden) women riders! (as determined by the BAFS leaderboard)
    No hash tags needed, nor photos...all it takes is plenty of fun winter riding miles (relative to everyone else, that is.) Top 3 riders in this category are individually awarded a bike-link key chain customized with each rider's winning mileage on an identifying silver tag.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I find hundreds in the neighborhood around the Fairfax Walmart.