Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November 2020 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default November 2020 Road and Trail Conditions

Arlington County Parks staff were out clearing the Wilson Boulevard underpass on the W&OD this morning. The brush was quickly clearing the sediment left by the last storm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4C73136-0EF4-4724-8299-BBA44867FEB9.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	21754

Post Thanks / Like

The Federal Gov has shut down part of the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. The dirt/gravel/broken road portion that circumvents the Mayfair neighborhood now has big concrete roadblocks up that say "No Trespassing". I guess this wasn't really part of the trail since the Mayfair neighborhood does have protected bike lanes through most of it.

Anyone know why? Never even realized this was federal land.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    The Federal Gov has shut down part of the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. The dirt/gravel/broken road portion that circumvents the Mayfair neighborhood now has big concrete roadblocks up that say "No Trespassing". I guess this wasn't really part of the trail since the Mayfair neighborhood does have protected bike lanes through most of it.

No idea. I just went around like usual -- there's nobody back there and the gate on the other end was open. it's annoying to have to dismount though.

Post Thanks / Like

This area?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they're getting ready to clean up the landfill that this shortcut runs over top of, that's likely the reason for the closure.

6. Likes Judd, dbehrend liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Looks like they're getting ready to clean up the landfill that this shortcut runs over top of, that's likely the reason for the closure.
    I went back to my notes from the last Capital Trails Coalition meeting and NPS gave a presentation that mentioned remediation for this area ahead of design and engineering for trail and bridge construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight folks! This was my "daily" route so I'll keep an eye on things to see how the progress.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a public meeting on 11/18 about NPS options for the soil remediation for this area. The assessment is at https://www.nps.gov/nace/learn/manag...oposedPlan.pdf

From my inbox:

on Nov. 18th from 6:30pm–8:00pm EST, the National Park Service will hold a virtual public meeting to discuss The Proposed Plan for Cleanup of the Kenilworth Park Landfill Site.

NPS invites the public to review and comment on this Proposed Plan for cleanup at the Kenilworth Park Landfill Site (“the Site”), located within Anacostia Park, a unit of National Capital Parks—East (NACE) in Washington, D.C.

Oral and written comments and questions will be accepted during the meeting.

The meeting can be attended via Zoom: https://vhb.zoom.us/j/96305594573?pwd=ejdyWld 0STRaVWphc1hRL2JiSDNWUT09 If prompted: Webinar ID: 963 0559 4573

The Public Comment Period goes from November 12, 2020–February 10, 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the extra info Judd. Proposed updates to the trail look nice and there's always that glimmer of hope they build a bridge to the Arboretum!

Interesting they closed the trail already, when work won't be starting for some time (assuming it won't since comment period goes through February).

Post Thanks / Like

It does seem a bit early to close it. It’s possible that they’re may be some early engineering work occurring while the public comment stuff is occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk