ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Festivus!

Post Thanks / Like

I love your ideas but can't stop admiring that fat bike rider

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I agree the point system is fine.

Curious: how difficult is it to add wacky stats? Like during sign up people can choose the following of how they plan to ride most often during FS:
    • Clipless or Flat pedal
    • Drop bar or Straight bar
    • Slicks or Knobbies
    • Fender or Fenderless
    • Bar mitts or Gloves
    • ROYGBIV or Black/White/Silver colored bike
    • Rear view mirror or Neck twist

Then as the miles start coming in, have charts that show stats for Team Clipless vs Team Flats, etc.

This way, it ups my chances of being on at least one winning team -- Go Team Neck Twist! (I'm kidding, but I just thought this was a funny idea if it isn't too difficult to implement.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scott-ironman-texas-1495463041.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	21755
    I don't mind adding the wacky sign-ups to the registration form, but I suspect it would complicate obscurerichard's job on the back end. I'd take this one up with him directly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    I love your ideas but can't stop admiring that fat bike rider
    I stole it from this article https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a20...on-a-fat-bike/

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Curious: how difficult is it to add wacky stats? Like during sign up people can choose the following of how they plan to ride most often during FS:
    • Clipless or Flat pedal
    • Drop bar or Straight bar
    • Slicks or Knobbies
    • Fender or Fenderless
    • Bar mitts or Gloves
    • ROYGBIV or Black/White/Silver colored bike
    • Rear view mirror or Neck twist
    What does your visualisation look like? Napkin sketch of the stats page.

5. 11-18-2020, 10:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.28.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	21759

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smb9600 View Post
    I also liked the point system last year! I echo teams based on location to make it easier for folks to get together for rides/gatherings if they wanted. It may also be helpful to allow participants to chose if they would like to be on a team that will host safe/socially distant rides/gatherings or not (if those are still allowed this winter!) Additionally, team size may want to be capped at 8-10 in case the sizes of group gathering are limited again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder how teams can be assigned to be flexible enough to accommodate people who may have to quarantine for 14+ days due to contact exposure or due to positive test results. CDC frowns upon those people leaving home and potentially infecting others. Not naming any names, but some may still be commuting into work part time in buildings with those who refuse to wear masks.... rhymes with “Minotaur Sassly” and “Minotaur Stand”?

8. Likes smb9600 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    I wonder how teams can be assigned to be flexible enough to accommodate people who may have to quarantine for 14+ days due to contact exposure or due to positive test results. CDC frowns upon those people leaving home and potentially infecting others. Not naming any names, but some may still be commuting into work part time in buildings with those who refuse to wear masks.... rhymes with “Minotaur Sassly” and “Minotaur Stand”?
    I don't know that we need any special rules for this. People have gotten sick or injured in past years. Unless someone gets knocked out for almost the whole season, we just assume that this is a hazard of the game, and is likely to affect all the teams more or less equally. I would assume that either illness or quarantine would be treated in a similar manner.

We also tell people not to be stupid. For example, don't go riding if you can't do it safely. This year, we hope that people will not ride when and where there is a chance of infecting anyone or getting infected. I don't know how you enforce that. I would, however, point out that this is not the Grand Prix. Even in a normal year, the "big" prizes tend to be things like decorated paper plates. This year, I'm not sure how we'll be able to give out physical prizes at all. I would hope that people would remember that it is not worth jeopardizing your health, the health of your coworkers, or the health of anyone else in order to win a paper plate.

10. Likes huskerdont, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Festivus!

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I don't know that we need any special rules for this. People have gotten sick or injured in past years. Unless someone gets knocked out for almost the whole season, we just assume that this is a hazard of the game, and is likely to affect all the teams more or less equally. I would assume that either illness or quarantine would be treated in a similar manner.

We also tell people not to be stupid. For example, don't go riding if you can't do it safely. This year, we hope that people will not ride when and where there is a chance of infecting anyone or getting infected. I don't know how you enforce that. I would, however, point out that this is not the Grand Prix. Even in a normal year, the "big" prizes tend to be things like decorated paper plates. This year, I'm not sure how we'll be able to give out physical prizes at all. I would hope that people would remember that it is not worth jeopardizing your health, the health of your coworkers, or the health of anyone else in order to win a paper plate.
    Those are great points, Carol. Perhaps people in similar situations who are still going into work and have a high chance of exposure should not register to be on a team and potentially drag their team points down. Would you recommend they join friends of Freezing Saddles or Team Slacker? Or is sitting out this year the safest choice?
    Last edited by SarahBee; 11-19-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.28.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	21759
    Hi Merlin,

It's a little hard to see your image (on the PC and Tapatalk on the phone), but if I squint really hard, it looks like what I imagined. Basically, each of the bullet's items have teams for each choice, and the graph shows points for each team, along with number of rides.

IIRC, you are one of the awesomesauce behind-the-scenes coders? If so, is this difficult, tricky, or time consuming? If yes to any of those, then no worries! BTW, thanks for your work (along with the others) for your help making FS possible.

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	21760
    Stolen pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Merlin,

It's a little hard to see your image (on the PC and Tapatalk on the phone), but if I squint really hard, it looks like what I imagined. Basically, each of the bullet's items have teams for each choice, and the graph shows points for each team, along with number of rides.

IIRC, you are one of the awesomesauce behind-the-scenes coders? If so, is this difficult, tricky, or time consuming? If yes to any of those, then no worries! BTW, thanks for your work (along with the others) for your help making FS possible.

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	21760
    Stolen pic.
    Just to give you fair warning: The registration form is now up (although it has not yet been publicized). So if this is not resolved quickly, it will be too late to collect the information.

14. Likes drevil liked this post