Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Festivus!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Festivus!

You know, that day for airing of the grievances. Well, with Freezing Saddles coming up, it's the traditional time for everyone to complain about last year, and come up with suggestions for this year. We don't promise to follow any of the suggestions, but we'll at least read and think about them. And since I'm trying to have the registration form up by Thanksgiving, any changes that would require getting more information from the form have to be final by then.

One decision that has already been made is that we will not try to assign teams based on mileage this year. With the pandemic, last year's mileage is unlikely to mean anything about this year's. (The person who ran up a lot of miles commuting last year may be working from home now, and the person who took public transit to work last year may be biking to maintain social distance this year.) At most, we may try to do something like assign each of the top finishers from last year to a different team.

Anything else? Did the points system (10 points the day if you biked at least a mile plus 10 points for the first mile, 9 points for the second, etc., with no cap on total points) work? Did the team sizes seem about right? Ideas for substitutes for the initial and final happy hours? (I do have a licensed Zoom account that would allow for up to 100 participants, but someone may have a more imaginative idea.) Any other ideas?

Countdown to deadline for registration
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 11-18-2020 at 08:13 PM.

2. Likes bmillah, Henry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought last year's points model was great. But I'm pretty easy to please regardless. Looking forward to 2021. Really looking forward to 2021... -Jeff

4. Likes bmillah, awitt, dbehrend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was super-happy to see the FS21 club pop-up on Strava yesterday, and now even more excited for January 1st, 2021 to arrive.

I really enjoyed the new points system last year, but wouldn't be disappointed if we slightly lowered the threshold from 10 miles to 7 (or even 5) miles before counting each additional mile as one point. It was incredibly difficult to catch up if you missed a ride.

I thought team sizes were fine but was disappointed when two of our teammates stopped participating after the first week or so. Also, I really enjoyed the Parkfinder last year, would be fun to incorporate something like that again.

Also, it'll be interesting to see if there are more or fewer willing to play this year. There are far more WFH'ers than commuters for sure, and despite being at home I somehow have less time in my day to get out for a ride.

6. Likes awitt, dbehrend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the point system last year and the team size was fine. I suggest changing as little as possible from last year given how much of the rest of our lives has changed. I especially want to avoid changes that would require changing the back end so we minimize the work for obscurerichard. Let him reserve his energy for his family and his bicycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I liked the points system last year. The extra bonus points got me riding a bit more on days i might have slacked off. That said, I tend to agree with bmilah that lowering the bonus level to 5 miles or so is worth considering. In addition to lowering the "penalty" for missing a day or riding only a few miles, I think it would tend to encourage people to get out for even a short ride during a time when many (most?) folks are not truly commuting.

As for teams, I would consider organizing teams based more on location than historic mileage to make it easier for meetups, is that is safe/healthy, sharing routes, and facilitating ride-bys.

My two cents. I will happily participate whatever the rules the Cabal imposes.

9. Likes secstate, bmillah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also liked the point system last year! I echo teams based on location to make it easier for folks to get together for rides/gatherings if they wanted. It may also be helpful to allow participants to chose if they would like to be on a team that will host safe/socially distant rides/gatherings or not (if those are still allowed this winter!) Additionally, team size may want to be capped at 8-10 in case the sizes of group gathering are limited again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes bmillah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awitt View Post
    i suggest changing as little as possible from last year given how much of the rest of our lives has changed. I especially want to avoid changes that would require changing the back end so we minimize the work for obscurerichard. Let him reserve his energy for his family and his bicycle.
    this ^^^^^^^^^

13. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too really liked the point system from last year!

Post Thanks / Like

So impressed with the effort it takes to make FS; thanks ya'll. I like the 2020 scoring. I like the penalty for skipping a day. Most of the pointless prize games seem like they will be safe and fine to do this year. Populating team rosters based on riders' proximity and not mileage might make it easier to pull off some responsible team meet ups, if people are comfortable with that. I'm stoked to shred all winter!

16. Likes bmillah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree the point system is fine.

Curious: how difficult is it to add wacky stats? Like during sign up people can choose the following of how they plan to ride most often during FS:
    • Clipless or Flat pedal
    • Drop bar or Straight bar
    • Slicks or Knobbies
    • Fender or Fenderless
    • Bar mitts or Gloves
    • ROYGBIV or Black/White/Silver colored bike
    • Rear view mirror or Neck twist

Then as the miles start coming in, have charts that show stats for Team Clipless vs Team Flats, etc.

This way, it ups my chances of being on at least one winning team -- Go Team Neck Twist! (I'm kidding, but I just thought this was a funny idea if it isn't too difficult to implement.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scott-ironman-texas-1495463041.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	21755
    Last edited by drevil; 11-17-2020 at 11:15 AM.

18. Likes secstate, Sunyata, bentbike33 liked this post