Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1

Thread: W&OD Trail Detour Update - 2-Week Shift of the Current Trail Detour Begins Next Week

Post Thanks / Like

Default W&OD Trail Detour Update - 2-Week Shift of the Current Trail Detour Begins Next Week

Hi y'all,

This just came through my inbox from VDOT so figured I'd share here:

"FAIRFAX – The current W&OD Trail detour route just east of Lee Highway (Route 29) will be shifted for about two weeks beginning October 19 to allow additional construction activity. Crews will reconstruct sidewalks on Lee Highway, the Econolodge entrance on Fairfax Drive, and nearby curb ramps on Lee Highway. Trail users will be directed to a new sidewalk and trail adjacent to the new trail bridge during this detour.

In addition, the sidewalk on the south side of Lee Highway (adjacent to the Econolodge) will be closed. Pedestrians will be directed to cross Lee Highway at the signalized crosswalks at Westmoreland Street (west end of the detour) and Washington Boulevard (east end of the detour, near the I-66 overpass).

Detour signs will be posted. Cyclists are reminded to yield to pedestrians and dismount for safety.

Name:  vdotmap.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  20.6 KB

The new W&OD Trail Bridge over Lee Highway will provide trail users a safer crossing at this busy intersection. Upwards of 2,000 people use the trail in this area near mile marker 5.5 on peak days. The bridge is expected to open in fall 2020.

W&OD Trail Bridge construction is part of the Transform 66 Inside the Beltway Eastbound Widening Project, which is also adding a travel lane along four miles of eastbound I-66, installing approximately 12,000 linear feet of new and replacement noise barriers, and constructing a new direct access ramp from eastbound I-66 to the West Falls Church Metrorail Station at the Leesburg Pike (Route 7) Interchange. Learn more about the project at inside.transform66.org.

The additional eastbound lane is scheduled to open to traffic in fall 2020, with the Leesburg Pike ramp connection scheduled to open in late 2020. The overall project is expected to be complete in fall 2021.

Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova."

If I receive more information, I'll share it...

2. ELITE Henry ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Understand that the work needs to be done, but that makes it 4 detours on the W&OD within about 5 miles, whew!

4. Likes ursus, secstate liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Understand that the work needs to be done, but that makes it 4 detours on the W&OD within about 5 miles, whew!
    I think that officially makes the WOD a freeway, with that many work zones....

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would re-open the Custis Trail underpass adjacent to Bon Air Park and Westover Park now that all that noise barrier work is complete. They've been rehabbing the middle of the I-66 eastbound bridge over it forever. I'm starting to see people cutting through the fence now.

7. Likes ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://twitter.com/WODTrail/status/1319034038850625537

Tomorrow [that's Thursday], work on the dual trails project in Falls Church will be moving to the section of trail between Spring St and Oak St. This area will be closed to traffic, so please follow the detour north to Lincoln Ave.