Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Commuting on the MBT from Union Station to Silver Spring Metro?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Commuting on the MBT from Union Station to Silver Spring Metro?

Hello everyone and good afternoon!

I am a new user to the site and have a question about commuting on the Metropolitan Branch Trail. I work right by the National Mall and it is my intention when I go into the office to ride the MBT to the Silver Spring Metro, where my car is parked. I have never done this before so I have some brief questions. If anyone could provide me with assistance I would be much appreciative:

It is my understanding that the MBT only goes as far as Brookland-CUA. Does anyone know the quickest route once the trail ends to get to where Silver Spring is?

I usually start and end early, and I leave work around 2:30. I assume there are others on the trail at that time too?

Thank you so much and I look forward to your responses!

Respectfully yours,

Mr. Steven

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I hope you found/received some suggestions. While I've ridden that way to Silver Spring a few times, I haven't done it frequently, or to commute. Others here may be able to offer specific suggestions on routes.

Regarding your question about the trail - the MBT gets a lot of use. Trails in general are getting more use during the pandemic. You are likely to encounter other users mid-afternoon. The number of users will likely go down in the winter, but I'd still anticipate encountering some people during your ride.

I'd also offer some general suggestions:
    - The Strava heatmap can be a useful tool to see which roads people are riding on and for planning routes: https://www.strava.com/heatmap#14.55....96093/hot/all
    - Google maps street view can be helpful to gauge what a street might be like .
    - Once you think you've found a route, test it a couple of times on the weekend (or a non-work day), carrying whatever you plan to take with you on your commute, to give yourself a lower-stress opportunity to get turned around a bit and explore.
    Last edited by dbehrend; 10-07-2020 at 07:03 PM.

3. Likes drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you like hills on the way home

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Google Maps bike directions from Union Station to Silver Spring Station are pretty solid. I like 8th better than 5th because it's a little less up and down. 5th seems like there's a valley around every stop sign so you never have any momentum (the first summer we had the cargo bike for the kids I was doing this route every day and strongly preferred 8th).

6. Likes dbehrend liked this post