Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sep 2020 Road & Trail conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    As of today, PG Parks/M-NCPPC are still inspecting trails for damage following Thursday's storm. I've seen several bridges that appeared damaged from the flooding/debris.

PG Parks/M-NCPPC posted the following advisory yesterday closing all trails in the Anacostia River Trail system:

All trails in the Anacostia River Trail system are CLOSED until safety inspections can be completed
    9/11/2020 - All trails in the Anacostia River Trail system are CLOSED until safety inspections can be completed, due to the recent rainstorms and flooding. These trails include:
    NW Branch Trail
    NE Branch Trail
    Paint Branch trail
    Silgo Creek Trail
    Indian Creek Trail
    Bladensburg trail into Washington, D.C.

Stay Safe!

Address/Location
    M-NCPPC Department of Parks and Recreation
    6600 Kenilworth Ave
    Riverdale Park, MD 20737

Contact
    Emergency: 9-1-1
    Non-emergencies: 301-699-2255
    An update from PG Parks:

Advisory: Trails REOPEN with a few exceptions, W. Hyattsville Metro Bridge and NE Branch Bridge at Rt. 410 CLOSED for repairs.

9/14/2020 - Trails REOPEN with a few exceptions, Pedestrian Bridge from West Hyattsville Metro Station to Chillum Road and the bridge on NE Branch Trail between Riverdale Road and Rt. 410 remain CLOSED for repairs. Trail at Campus Drive and Lake Artemesia South of College Park Airport remains CLOSED.

Stay safe!

For full details, view this message on the web

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Facebook's MVT Trail Users Group:

Just a head up that some...very special...person posted on Nextdoor in my area that they will be open carrying a firearm on the MVT this Saturday at 10:00 for a gun rights protest walk that starts near the Dyke Marsh, South of Alexandria just near Belle Haven (around mile 4 or 5 I think). He is trying to enlist other...special people...to walk with him.
    Itís perfectly legal in VA and on National Park land.
    Just a heads up, in case you run across them!

A few other posters responded that they knew of this specific individual, and he was known to be very confrontational. So please, regardless of your political views on this, stay safe and don't confront.

Post Thanks / Like

There is an Alexandria Public Art Ride going that Saturday morning. https://www.facebook.com/events/235704787858843/

I am hoping like hell none of the three ride groups will cross paths with them (I am with Judd's 8:30 group).

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    From Facebook's MVT Trail Users Group:

Just a head up that some...very special...person posted on Nextdoor in my area that they will be open carrying a firearm on the MVT this Saturday at 10:00 for a gun rights protest walk that starts near the Dyke Marsh, South of Alexandria just near Belle Haven (around mile 4 or 5 I think). He is trying to enlist other...special people...to walk with him.
    Itís perfectly legal in VA and on National Park land.
    Just a heads up, in case you run across them!

A few other posters responded that they knew of this specific individual, and he was known to be very confrontational. So please, regardless of your political views on this, stay safe and don't confront.
    Hmm. If it's legal, what's he protesting?

6. Likes Steve O, Emm liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Hmm. If it's legal, what's he protesting?
    Fairfax County passed an ordinance this week banning firearms on county properties.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    There is an Alexandria Public Art Ride going that Saturday morning. https://www.facebook.com/events/235704787858843/

I am hoping like hell none of the three ride groups will cross paths with them (I am with Judd's 8:30 group).
    Not to worry, the ride route stays well clear of the MVT.

9. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Preview of the start point...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200916_145547.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	21680

11. Likes Steve O, SarahBee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    An update from PG Parks:

Advisory: Trails REOPEN with a few exceptions, W. Hyattsville Metro Bridge and NE Branch Bridge at Rt. 410 CLOSED for repairs.

9/14/2020 - Trails REOPEN with a few exceptions, Pedestrian Bridge from West Hyattsville Metro Station to Chillum Road and the bridge on NE Branch Trail between Riverdale Road and Rt. 410 remain CLOSED for repairs. Trail at Campus Drive and Lake Artemesia South of College Park Airport remains CLOSED.

Stay safe!

For full details, view this message on the web
    Updates from PG Parks - The W. Hyattsville bridge will be closed for sevral months & the bridge at Riverdale Road will be closed for up to 1 year:

Anacostia Tributary Trail System
    Following several days of heavy rain and regional flooding on September 10th, 2020, the Department of Parks and Recreation reports the following closures and precautions:

West Hyattsville: The bridge on a spur trail that links Chillum Road to the West Hyattsville Metro Station and Northwest Branch Trail was badly damaged and will need to be replaced. This closure may last for several months as repairs take place.

Riverdale Park: A bridge on the Northeast Branch Trail was damaged and will need to be replaced. The bridge spans the Wells Branch, a feeder stream that is located just north of Riverdale Road. It may take up to 12 months to replace this bridge. Detour signs will be posted on a route through the Town of Riverdale Park.

For additional details, please refer to the attached map.

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Signs, signals, and markings- the Custis/Bon Air traffic circle, with road markings. What I didn't shoot were the nicely scaled traffic circle signs.

Name:	20200924_115907[1].jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	21688

15. Likes Judd, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Signs, signals, and markings- the Custis/Bon Air traffic circle, with road markings. What I didn't shoot were the nicely scaled traffic circle signs.

Name:	20200924_115907[1].jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	21688
    It's a bit hard to see, but it looks like one heading east on the W&OD is allowed to go to the Custis trail on either side of the circle.
    Last edited by ursus; 09-25-2020 at 06:51 AM.