Likes Likes:  318
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  9
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Beers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear about Pete.
    I live on the other side of the tot lot from the trail where the accident happened. My family was watching our church's online service with the windows open and heard the tree fall shortly before 10:00 am. At first I didn't think anyone was hurt but soon realized I was mistaken. The trail had been crowded all morning, so the ambulance was called quickly.

It's been good connecting with Peet's friends tonight as they stop on the trail to remember him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default A huge disturbance in the Force

Peterís quiet charisma drew me in the first time I met him. I have no doubt he could command any room he wanted, but he didnít. He was a big man but I never felt threatened. He was so generous with his time and creativity, willing to help solve little problems for walk-ins - like cutting a seat post shim from a Perrier can, or big problems - like weighing everyoneís stuff at th disaster relief trials. I always suspected he had a lot of friends who cared about him and who he cared for. Iíve seen this in the messages on this forum and on Facebook. I was looking forward to getting to know him better, but now that wonít happen. I didnít know Pete well and I didnít realize how much I counted on him being part of my life. Then he was sudden
    gone without reason or explanation and I am disoriented and very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete Beers

No words other than ďThe Tree.... R.I.P. DirtĒ

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 09-02-2020 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Words

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete Beers

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about Pete.
    I live on the other side of the tot lot from the trail where the accident happened. My family was watching our church's online service with the windows open and heard the tree fall shortly before 10:00 am. At first I didn't think anyone was hurt but soon realized I was mistaken. The trail had been crowded all morning, so the ambulance was called quickly.

It's been good connecting with Peet's friends tonight as they stop on the trail to remember him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nice to meet you earlier tonight at the spot. I was the guy in the bike kit sitting on the tree when you came up to speak to Dane and I. Thanks for filling in the gaps about what happened to Dirt. It gave me Peace.

Last edited by Boomer2U; 09-02-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to know Pete about 10 years ago when he was commuting into the District and I was just starting as a bike commuter. A much stronger rider, he would roll up on me and then slow down to my pace to socialize for a few minutes, and then ride off. It seemed if you were on a bike, you were one of Pete's peers without regard to your abilities. Always gracious, he would volunteer time and expertise with WABA and BikeArlington and I would often see him there. He would help out with community rides, providing encouragement to younger cyclists and generally have a good time. Every time I'd see him, he was always open and giving. I will value the bike Pete recently helped me pick out at Bikenetic.

A few shots to illustrate Peteís enthusiasm and whimsy from happy hours, the Ride on Washington fundraiser (Boston to DC in about 5 days), a Phoenix Family ride, and in support of BikeArlington and WABA.

Always in our thoughts Pete!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phoenix Family Ride - Oct 2011  (24).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	21644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150807 ArCo Fair (3).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	21643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	21640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA Happy Hour 20120712 (6).jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	21641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cycling 20120504.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	21642

Post Thanks / Like

I want to be like Pete when I grow up.

Name:	Hello Kitty Pete Beers.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	21645

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post

No words other than “The Tree.... R.I.P. Dirt”

I have a pilgrimage to make Friday.

8. Likes JorgeGortex, Steve O, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    I have a pilgrimage to make Friday.
    Yeah, I'm feeling the same. Find a way to get some closure of sorts.

10. Likes kwarkentien, Starduster, Steve O, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    Yeah, I'm feeling the same. Find a way to get some closure of sorts.
    I haven't decided yet whether I want to be on that spot where it happened...

Oddly, I found telling some coworkers about Pete kind of helped me. It's great material, because he was such a positive influence. They liked hearing about a cyclist who made all those tough interactions with angry drivers and pedestrians about love and understanding. I still don't know how he did it; it's the reason I think about him so much when I'm on the bike--what would Dirt do?? This world will be lacking for that going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't even been able to begin to process this. On one hand I feel like I barely knew him, and on the other he undoubtedly made me a better person. Every singe time I've had what could have been a bad interaction with an inattentive driver but instead turned out well, it's been because I was able to channel Pete's positive vibes. I hear his voice in my head ALL THE TIME when I'm riding my bike, and every time it nudges me in a better direction.

I'm stuck on my fixie this week while my Bianchi is in the shop and coming home from a work errand, I rode it up the biggest hill in the neighborhood in Pete's honor.

This photo he took after a 2015 Friday Coffee Club is particularly hard but I'm really glad I have it.

Name:	10431421_10153267105678374_8830667721370211301_o.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	21647